“Excellent Food”
Review of Fin Seafood

Fin Seafood
Reserve with OpenTable
Fin Seafood is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 464 Restaurants in Newport News
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Fin features the finest local ingredients while utilizing organic and sustainable produce and proteins whenever possible. Chef Kenny Sloane has perfected the use of these seasonal ingredients to complement his refined yet robust menu.
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Very nice setting, very good service and really delicious seafood. It was my first time there as I was not familiar with Fin Seafood, a friend of mine took me to lunch and I will be back.

Reviewed June 5, 2012 via mobile

Food and service were fantastic! Definitely try the grilled romaine salad.

Reviewed May 6, 2012

We went here on a weekday for a business dinner and it was an excellent choice. The waiter offered several good wine suggestions and we settles on a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc which had lots of green apple flavor a enough tartness to waken the palette. There were many other excellent choices on the wine list and prices seemed about standard. I had a ahi tuna appetizer with a pumpkin? sauce and soy. The ahi was well prepared but I didn't think the reduction added anything to the flavor. My wedge salad was very fresh with a nice blue cheese dressing and a blue cheese tart which was very tasty. The entree was soft shell crab and a crab cake both of which were fresh and well prepared. The light breading on the softshell was well seasoned and highlighted the taste of the crab. The crab cake was mostly meat with just enough filler to hold it together I enjoyed both of them very much. I did save room for the bread pudding which had a great caramel sauce but was driving so I had to pass up their many choices of boutique bourbons despite the expense account. Sigh. Service was very attentive and the ambiance was quiet and subdued on a Thursday night despite several other groups around us. We got out for $360 including tip, a bottle of wine +4 glasses of wine, a couple of appetizers 3 salads and to desserts. Not cheap but worth it for the great food and service.

Reviewed February 14, 2012

We were excited to try what we thought may be a great local restaurant (based on reviews on this website) for Valentine's Day. What a mistake! My husband made reservations in late January, almost 3 weeks in advance of Valentine's Day. We arranged for a sitter, got dressed up, and were looking forward to a nice evening out. We arrived at Fin 5 minutes prior to our 6pm reservation. We were greeted immediately upon arrival. We were then "shown" to our seat. To show us our seat, the hostess merely turned to her right and held out a hand. There was our romantic table for two, not less than 3 feet from the hostess stand, immediately to her right. The table was definitely not usually there either, it was a folding table that it appeared they had put out for the big date night. Not wanting to spend the evening listening to other diners arrive and be seated, we politely asked if we could be seated at another table. There were at least 20 tables, all in much better locations, that were open in the restaurant. We were told they were unable to move our seat as they had a very busy evening. Hmmm. I also noted that there were 3 other younger couples seated at the other less desirable folding tables that had been brought out for the occasion. (My husband and I are in our mid thirties.) Not wishing to spend $100 dining with the hostess for Valentine's Day, we chose to leave. Unfortunately, although we had planned ahead, we were not able to have a nice, relaxing, romantic evening. Of course, every other nice restaurant in town was totally booked. We did manage to enjoy ourselves, but will never try Fin again.

6  Thank KendreH
Reviewed February 8, 2012

I first went to Fin in October for lunch and had excellent service and a really delicious meal. My friends and I were seated in the front room. I love the atmosphere of that room.

So, in December I took another friend there for lunch since I had had such a good experience. When we walked in, there was not seating host/hostess and so we stood there for awhile before anyone acknowledged us. Finally a waiter zipped by to tell us he'd be with us in a minute. So we stood for another few more minutes while he served his customers their lunch. Then he came back and took us to a table in the back room. He also said that he'd be our waiter. The back room has decent decor, just not like the front room. It's pretty dark in that room and the banquette that we were seated at is sort of ridiculous. I sat on the bench and while comfortable it is too low for the table and very far from the table.

I ordered a soup that was OK, nothing special. In fact, it was lukewarm and so I ate it faster than I should of so it wouldn't be ice cold. I also got the wedge salad. Big disappointment. There was the usual wedge of iceberg, but the topping of the dressing and bacon was so skimpy I basically ate a bunch of plain lettuce.

The waiter seemed to forget about us back there and so service was a little slow. I hope this was just a rare bad day there. It was a letdown for me since I was excited to impress this out of town friend by showing them a sophisticated restaurant in Newport News. I will probably give it another try and hopefully will have a better experience.

1  Thank Bear246

Been to Fin Seafood? Share your experiences!