“Horrible is all I can think of” 1 of 5 stars

Economy Inn and Suites
Economy Inn and Suites
Ranked #32 of 40 Hotels in Newport News
McConnelsville, Ohio
“Horrible is all I can think of”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Pass this up if at all possible.. On-line the night before was 38.00 but was not sure we would end up there.. we did and it cost us 79.00 for terrible night. All night there was people outside our door ranting and screaming about shooting each other. Above us on the balcony was the same. Room was disgusting and did not have hot water at times. I normally dont have a problem with Econo Lodges but never again will I stay at this one. We actually left early the next morning to find a new hotel with better location.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank Trevtra

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Henrico, Virginia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Mold on refrigerator seal, shower curtain, carpet, air conditioner, bathroom floor. Dead bugs in bathroom, pubic hair on toilet, floor not swept, carpet not vacuumed, TV worked only a few minutes at a time. Wore shoes while in room because carpet blackened bottom of our feet. Coffee tasted like water w/ a drop of brown food coloring. Pool water not clear. Worst experience we've ever had.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Norma E
Sharpsburg, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

For what you pay for you pay more. Our room had missing light bulbs the blankets has stains. Pictures are not current.

• Stayed January 2012
2 Thank 88kimmy88
North Bergen, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2008

Thought I was safe being close to Fort Eustis but the light bulb should have gone off when it was as low as $50 per night. I have paid as low as $29 dollars a night for a room with a different more upscale resort and it turned out to be a dream come true so I thought I may be lucky again....this time it was not the case! Unfortunately we (myself, my baby, and my mother) arrived at night when it is more difficult to view things. There were groups of questionable folks hanging around the hotel which made me very uneasy. The first room we had gone to wreaked of stale smoke and mildew, so I requested a second room. The second was just a bit better in scent but as soon as we pulled down the dirty looking bed linen a roach called across the bed, while my mother tried to kill it, she noticed a black crawling speck, which turned out to be a swollen tick. We needed no other demonstration we fled the room like bats out of hell. Since it was a major holiday weekend we wound up paying an arm and a leg for a hotel room elsewhere. I was refunded the money that I paid but even that took forever. Please folks take my advice this is no place for a decent normal human being unless you are used to filth and the dredges of society.

• Liked — Sorry not one dog gone thing!
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
      Check in / front desk
1 Thank pfaust_nj
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2006

I just returned from my visit to Newport News and wanted to give this hotel a good review while it was still on my mind. I believe that most times if people have an enjoyable stay in a hotel, they simply don't submit a review, and most reviews given are from those who experience something disagreeable. I was very pleased with Econolodge. It was in a very good location, easy to find, and convenient to many other things. I got a very good night's sleep on a very good matress. The room appeared to have new carpet and fresh paint. It was very clean and smelled good. In the mornings, the continental breakfast was good. The pool looked nice. While we were gone out the next day, we returned to a room that had been thoroughly cleaned. I would definitely stay in this hotel again if in the Newport News area.

Marsha Lounsberry
Belcher, KY

• Stayed July 2006
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2006

I had to check out a day earlier than planned and manager would not refund me for the unused night. Romm had a musty smell, holes in the ceiling, no hair dryers, and not even a bottle of shampoo! I think they offered free breakfast but I didn't see any.

• Stayed February 2006
3 Thank gittings
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2005

The room hadn't seen a good vacuuming in some time. Dirty, filthy carpeting. Killed one spider when I walked in the room and had one crawl on me in the night. I seriously doubt the sheets had been changed from the previous customer as there were dozens of hairs on the sheets. Last but not least there appeared to be something red on the walls that looked like blood.

• Stayed April 2005