WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #16 of 40 Hotels in Newport News
Newport News, Virginia
“True Professionalism Counts”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2014

Let me start off by saying that the staff at ESA was very friendly and, when the issue was a complaint, very apologetic. Over all, the lacked the level of professionalism that I think would help them out a great deal. The employees smoking area was the front door to the lobby, forcing any guest to walk through the relaxing employee's second hand smoke to enter the building. The conversations among staff were easily loud enough to be over heard and not appropriate for the workplace, including crude discussion of breast augmentation and the quality of erotic dance clubs in the area. The front desk employees seemed to be in a position to have to make excuses more often than not:
1. When asked for quarters (as directed by a sign in the guest laundry), they explained that they were out because so many guests had been requesting them.
2. When asked for the safety key for the treadmill (without which, the equipment cannot be used), they explained that a guest "stole it" three months ago.
3. When asked for information about the channel lineup or the wireless access, they explained that "corporate handles all of that, and they don't know".
4. When asked how a guest was issued a working card to my room at 1 AM (I forgot to bolt the door), they explained that the night clerk doesn't have access to the computers.

The only thing that really bugged me is that my repeated attempts to speak with the general manager went unanswered; I am left to conclude that the staff suffers worst from poor leadership and direction. I think this hotel could thrive with better management.

Room Tip: Overnight noise overnight was particularly bad on the second floor, getting it from both above and b...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Rencheple
Manager_11525, Owner at Extended Stay America - Newport News - I-64 - Jefferson Avenue, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. The situations you described regarding our staff are unacceptable, and I sincerely apologize for your experience. To make sure this does not happen again, I will be meeting with our staff to review our customer service expectations. I am grateful for the feedback you provided, as it will enable us to continue to improve our hotel. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, at NNJ@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you’re in town.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Newport News, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

i have been with my job. most of the staff is great. i do have to say there two that go above and beyond toni is great she makes sure everything for your stay i great before you even get in your room. then the front desk guy jimmie was the best help ever. he also goes above and beyond as well

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Newport News - I-64 - Jefferson Avenue, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel. I am glad that our staff provided you with great customer service. We strive for excellent customer service, so it’s great to hear that we achieved that goal. Once more, thank you for your comments. We look forward to having you visit with us again in the future.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

I love this place! The staff members are awsome! And its conventionally located across the mall and a ton of restaurants! And its probably the cheapest stay around. And for the first time ever...the coffee, isn't bad at all

• Stayed January 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Newport News - I-64 - Jefferson Avenue, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I am glad to read that you were pleased with your accommodations and location of our hotel. It is wonderful to see you enjoyed our grab-and-go breakfast and coffee as well. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

The room was very spacious. perfect for 3 or 4 people. only inconvenience was the hotel curfew that got us locked out the hotel and had to wait to be buzzed in at 2 am.. then luckily someone was in our room that decided to stay in or else we would have been locked out of the room too. other than that it was a perfect stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Newport News - I-64 - Jefferson Avenue, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. Please accept our most sincere apologies about the front door being locked. At Extended Stay we do take the safety of our guests seriously, our front door does lock at 11PM and unlocks at 7AM daily, a room key is needed to gain access to the hotel. In response to your feedback, I have discussed this with my staff to make sure they are explaining this during check in to ensure your experience is not repeated. Still, I am pleased tat you enjoyed you overall stay at our hotel.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. If you have any additional feedback, we would like to hear it. Please contact me, at NNJ @extendedstay.com, so we can speak directly. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.
Lynchburg, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

I called twice before arriving and requested and confirmed two double beds in the room instead of the one queen and one sleeper sofa as originally booked. The last call was a few days before arrival. I called on the trip and told them I'd be checking in later that night. I went to the wrong hotel first (could be a little more specific with the name- it was really frustrating when the laundry lady at the other Extended Stay on Jefferson avenue didn't know anything, couldn't work the computer, and didn't give me any options but a two twin bed... glad I called the number I was given and to my relief we were at the wrong hotel. I would NEVER stay at the sketchy/ shady Extended Stay on Jefferson (not the Hornsby Lane one- which is right off Jefferson).)\ We went to the Hornsby Lane Extended stay. Terri was the sweetest person ever and went above and beyond to make us welcome and comfortable. She gave us snacks, fresh linen. However, whoever confirmed, twice, that we would have two double beds in out room LIED. It was midnight and we had no other option but to take the room with a queen and a sleeper sofa. Half of us slept horribly. I also requested non-smoking, and was given smoking. Horrible smell... But Terri got us into a non-smoking room. Going up the elevator, you could smell the scents of the different floors. Chicken, smoke, etc. The third floor is smoking. At least the second room smelled decent, although strongly a deodorizer scent. The bathroom had mildew on the shower curtain. The tops of the wallpaper/ ceilings had areas where the masking tape/ wallpaper was plastered over with popcorn ceiling/ paint. The furnishings were adequate, the tv worked. There wasn't much noise. They room had a gallow kitchen- we used the fridge, toaster, microwave (all worked). Can't comment on the stove or dishwasher- didn't use them. There were only 2 bowls/ plates etc provided- we had 4 people. The ac left the person next to the bed freezing while the others were warm. Breakfast was good on Friday morning, but Saturday morning it was very picked over by 9:30 am. On Sunday morning, we went downstairs at 9:30 again for breakfast, and there was nothing there. A bubblegum popping ( attendant told us it was only until 9 am. I was sure that the sign I saw was until 10 am daily.... anyway, at our request she did give us some muffins and fruit. Also, the brochure said that we could request a later checkout- which I woke up early on Sunday morning to do just that... the front desk said there was no way that was possible. There were some issues with billing at the end. Only one of our key cards worked. Internet was ok. Pool was open but we didn't use it. Very close to several restaraunts and I-64. Walmart about a half mile away, across an overpass. I didn't come in contact with other guests very much, but my daughter said the car parked next to us, with curse words painted on it, was one of the hotel workers (male) she saw walk in. We used priceline and got the room for very cheap using name your own price. But I'm not sure if I'd take that risk again if I were traveling with more than 2 people since they don't keep their promises... and the risk that the other shadier looking Extended Stay down the road might be what I get. We were there for a Busch Gardens weekend. It was about a 20-30 min ride to BG.

Room Tip: Third floor is smoking. They may not actually give you the room you called twice about, requested, c...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Newport News - I-64 - Jefferson Avenue, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Your review for our hotel was recently brought to my attention. I am very sorry that we were unable to provide you with the room type that was requested and that your room was unclean upon arrival. In response, I will be working with our housekeeping staff to improve our cleaning procedures. Still, I am glad that Terri was able to make you feel welcome and comfortable, especially by providing you with snacks and fresh linen. As well, I am glad that you liked our grab-and-go breakfast and our hotel's location.

I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at NNJ@extendedstay.com. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the future.
Quaker City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

WOW! What a pleasnt surprise!!! I was greeted by an exceptional employee, a beautiful room- (that actually has a 4 burner stove AND an oven .) , A clean outdoor pool , and is located nicely. Airport across the street , quality resturants all around , shopping next door and easy access to highway . A nice long hot shower this morning and a breakfast to go that i can actually call breakfast, started my day off the way it should. i actually am looking forward to going to my home away from home this afternoon.

Room Tip: Ground floor seems a little noisy but overall a nice place at the right price
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Timothy M
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Newport News - I-64 - Jefferson Avenue, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Timothy - Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I'm so pleased to hear that our staff was so welcoming at check-in and that you truly enjoyed your room. As well, it is great that you liked our location and the grab-and-go breakfast we offer complimentary each morning.

Edinburgh, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

We only spent one night here, so we can't speak to how well this would suit anyone needing to stay long-term. The staff was very friendly as were all of the other guests we came in contact with. Our room rate was less than that of other hotels we stayed at during our trip, yet we had far more space. We were more aware of the noise at this location, then at other hotels, but that is probably due to the construction and age of the building. It was never obnoxiously loud, and having a toddler with us, we probably contributed as much to the noise as any other guests. We did enjoy the proximity to restaurants (Cheeseburger in Paradise, Cracker Barrel) as well as the accessibility to the Historic Triangle. As for the breakfast offerings, we anticipated that it would be limited, considering that every room has a kitchenette. It is nice that this chain offers the grab-and-go for those who are traveling for business, and wouldn't necessarily have the time to prepare something themselves. We would definitely consider visiting here again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Newport News - I-64 - Jefferson Avenue, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
The staff and I read your review, and would like to thank you for writing such pleasant things about our property. We are so pleased to hear that we were able to make your stay enjoyable. We look forward to seeing you in the future, should your travels bring you back to our area.