“Holiday Inn Express. Really???”

Comfort Inn Newport News/Williamsburg East
Ranked #11 of 38 Hotels in Newport News
GreenLeadersBronze level
Knox, Pennsylvania
“Holiday Inn Express. Really???”
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Do not stay here if you are expecting the high level of service and quality that you get with the Holiday Inn Express name. Room was awful, bathroom had exposed wiring in the recessed lighting right above the shower. Booked a King room, and when we arrived we were given a double. When I questioned it, I was informed that anytime you use the Iphone app to make reservations, you will ALWAYS get a double. We did not even get our little bag at check in with goodies.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank StacyG74
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn Newport News/Williamsburg East, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Dear StacyG74,

Thank you so much for your candid review of our hotel. We are deeply sorry we fell below your expectations. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and it is for these reasons that your comments about the room amenities are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future.

We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Janice A.
IHG Care

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Newnan, Georgia
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I made our reservation through a third party, "Not so HOT" We did not know the name of the hotel until after booking. I made a mistake and reserved the wrong date. I called "Not so HOT" customer NO service, after waiting on hold for 35 min. I explained MY mistake. They explained their no change policy. I accepted that but thought I would call the hotel directly. I was greeted by the most friendly and helpful person, Terri. I explained MY mistake and she replied "Oh that happends all the time" She proceeds to correct my reservation and saves me over $100, She suggests that I contact "Not so HOT" and let them know. Not wanting to wait on hold again, I e-mailed their "Customer no Service" and explained the outcome. I could not believe their response. They said that I would have to pay for the additional night. Which did not turn out to be true. Instead of saying that their policy did not allow for changes, but what ever I worked out with the hotel was between the hotel and me. All of this saved me a big $7, if I had delt directly with the hotel. The staff at this hotel are exceptionally friendly and helpful. The one negative is the dinning area is uncomfortably cramped. A GOOD STAY.

Room Tip: Call the hotel direct. Not their 800 number for national reservations you might get a better deal an...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Michael A, Owner at Comfort Inn Newport News/Williamsburg East, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Thanks for your kind words about how our hotel staff worked with you to resolve the issue you experienced with the "Not so HOT" third party internet site. Next time, we hope that you will book directly with us and forgo the bad customer service at the "Not so Hot" booking site.

Thanks Again. We look forward to seeing you when bext you visit Newport News, Virginia.

Michael A
New Jersey
Reviewed July 18, 2012 via mobile

No real issues but I hated the location, the fact that security was on site worried me, heard next door guest running in and out slamming doors all night, made me very nervous. I was here on business and booked here because the one on J Clyde was booked up, that one is a gem. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012
IHGCare, Public Relations Manager at Comfort Inn Newport News/Williamsburg East, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Dear Drkgrlx,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. I am deeply sorry you found our hotel less than satisfactory. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Jaime W
IHGCare
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed June 18, 2012

The only negative we have for the hotel is the small bathroom area. Other than that we were very pleased with our stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Loni C, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn Newport News/Williamsburg East, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review and for staying with us at Holiday Inn Express Newport News. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We will pass along your comments about our bathrooms, however I am not sure that there is much that we can do about the size of the room. Thank you again for your review and we hope to see you next time you are in Newport News.
EL PASO, TEXAS
Reviewed June 13, 2012

The Holiday Inn express in Newport News, Va. provided excellent customer service from the front desk to the hotel staff. Lucinda, and Doug will set the stage for your wonderful stay by addressing your concerns and and making sure every need is met. The rooms are beautiful, and the beds feel like you are sleeping on a cloud! I slept like a baby! Early breakfast in the morning, when you stay at the Inn. Delicious food and friendly service awaits you! I am in the Military, and if you are getting here from somewhere else, they are willing to make your stay a memorable one!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review and for staying with us at Holiday Inn Express Newport News. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that Lucinda and Doug contributed to your enjoyment. We will pass along this review to them. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to seeing you again next time you are in Newport News.
Fayetteville, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed June 5, 2012

Like the previous reviewer said, this hotel had a great location to Ft. Eustis. You can literally see the gate from the parking lot. There is also a Food Lion (grocery store chain) located about 5 minutes down the road. The hotel is a little dated but had everything we needed. We stayed for 2 nights since my children and I were spending time with my husband before he started AIT. The staff was very friendly. The breakfast was good, but the breakfast area is kind of cramped so we just took our food to the room. I like that there is a mini kitchen in the room since I have two small children. Overall, I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review and for staying with us at Holiday Inn Express Newport News. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We will pass along your comments about our breakfast area and see if we can improve the area. We look forward to seeing you again next time you are in Newport News. Thank you again for your review and for your help in making us a better hotel.
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed May 28, 2012

We had no issues with the king room we were given other than it was slightly cramped. It was clean, not excessively dated, and everything worked fine.

The area that the hotel is in seems a little seedy. There is a strip club and very seedy looking motel separated from this hotel only by a very thin strip of woods. I do not think I would take children to this area, unless you want to explain what "exotic" dancing is.

We had one incident at the hotel. They checked us out prematurely and we got a call while we were downstairs eating breakfast to find out why we were not out of our room when housekeeping went in to clean it. We had not checked out. The worst part of this is that housekeeping didn't stop when they saw our personal items all around the bathroom sink that was very clearly visible when you entered the room. Instead, they proceeded into the bed area and when we got the call from the front desk, they specificially described items they saw in the bedding area.

The breakfast at the hotel was okay, there was ample food but the breakfast area itself is very cramped. Also, the cream cheese was not refrigerated and was room temperature.

Overall, I am not sure I would stay here again but it was clean.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank imcatgirl71
, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn Newport News/Williamsburg East, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Dear imcatgirl71,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am pleased you liked our breakfast. Please accept my sincerest apology for any inconvenience the staff my have caused. I will follow up with the hotel to ensure similar incidents won't happen again in the future.

Again, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give feedback.

Pam G