“Shouldn't even be a Holiday Inn”

Comfort Inn Newport News/Williamsburg East
Ranked #11 of 38 Hotels in Newport News
GreenLeadersBronze level
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
“Shouldn't even be a Holiday Inn”
Reviewed July 11, 2011

There are a few resemblances of a Holiday Inn at this place, the sign on the wall and the breakfast otherwise this hotel does not have the Holiday Inn feel or service! The rooms are dirty, small, and cramped. We called to reserve our rooms at 12pm knowing we would not arrive until after check in at 3 pm, when we arrived at 7 pm the rooms were still not ready and the manage could of cared less. He told us we could wait in the breakfast area and they should be ready soon. That was after the front desk had to call him three times. We finally got in our rooms around 8 pm. We could still hear the housekeeping working in the hall at 10.

The picture shown is not the hotel!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Lightningsky

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Alcoa, Tennessee
Reviewed July 5, 2011

First of all, the hotel was a remake and not an original. the room we had was smaller, the closet small, couldn't get the coffemaker out of the closet to fill with water. the bathroom was tiny, with almost enough room to turn around. I could touch all the walls by stretching my arms out. The vanity was outside the bathroom and was even smaller. No room to put you things around the sink. the hairdryer didn't work and I had to go down to the desk with wet hair in front of all the folks having breakfast( in a tiny room) to get another hairdryer! the TV remote didn't work and we had to get up and change the channels and do the on/off button. what a hastle! And... There was a pool and workout room, but not in the Holiday Inn express building, but acrossed the street in their sister property. Talk about false advertising... I was very disappointed. I go the the HIE exclusively because of the big comfy rooms and huge bathrooms....and got neither.. I do not recommend this place.

Room Tip: go elsewhere
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank doctorcindy
n. myrtle beach, sc
Reviewed March 7, 2011

We stayed here each time we visited Ft. Eustis. It is right off the interstate, yet out of the way of the heavy traffic of Newport News and within sight of the FE front gate. The staff is very friendly and attentive to any request we had. The breakfast is good; my husband commented that it was better than the restaurant breakfast he had the day before. The rooms are small but clean, and the beds are comfortable. There is a room kitchen: mini fridge, microwave, stovetop and sink. For convenience and great staff, you can't beat this place!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank travelnmb
Reviewed January 24, 2011

All across the board excellent service. Managerial, custodial, and chef all had smiles. I never once saw a frown or even a straight face only smiles. That deserves a top rating to me!

• Stayed January 2011
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed December 29, 2010

I made the reservation for 2 rooms for a trip I was making with my Boss. The bottom line is, after my Boss gave his credit card and picture ID and placed the room in his name I was charged for both rooms. A very helpful employee Dianne handled the situation on Dec 29, 2010 getting records from the Mulberry Inn and correcting the billing error. My issue is that this error should not have occurred in the first place. We explained to the clerk upon check in and we checked out to make sure it was straight. The billing clerk or the check in clerk did not do their job. My concern is how many times does this double billing occur in this owned and operated Beck Company Holiday Inn. This particular Holiday Inn was in no way is a positive comparison to other Holiday Inn Express that I have stayed in. It is the poorest example that I have experienced the breakfast area is very small all the features that I expect in a Holiday Inn Express is in the Mulberry Inn. This experience and facility should be looked at by Holiday Inn Corporate to see if this facility meets standards. I hope that Corporate will reconsider this facility as adequate to hold your logo. I have stayed in number of Holiday Inns over the years and this was the poorest that I have experienced.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank RickWSwain
Nescopeck, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 16, 2010

This hotel features the best front desk staff I have ever met during my travels. They know my name when I arrive and always have a bottle of water in my fridge when I get to my room. The rooms are clean and they offer a nice selection of TV channels. Also, they have a sister property right next door which features a theater room and an outdoor pool.

I stay here on every visit to Newport News. It is close to all major attractions and airports as well. For the price you can't beat it!!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Nescopeck, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 4, 2010

The Hotel offers great value for the price. The Front Desk staff in fantastic.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business