“stink”

Days Inn Newport News
Ranked #28 of 38 Hotels in Newport News

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
North Garden, Virginia
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Or maybe exactly what I expected for 45 a night? Very dirty, probably the worst floor I've ever seen in a hotel. I've stayed in some really nasty hotels, I'd rank this one 2ndd worst just after the crack den in raleigh, nc advertised as a hotel.
We went out the 2nd day of our stay. We came back to all the bed coverings on the seats except the sheets. They change the sheets but not the blankets, mmmm! Plus there were burn holes all over our blankets. It smelled awful. The bathroom had other guests hairs in the shower and had not been cleaned. I mean, just leave some supplies and I'll do it myself next time! There were people living there and their kids were running around outside our room first thing in the morning. You could hear EVERYTHING outside your room. 2nd night I tried to sleep right after the concert we attended and was woken up several times by other loud guests. Normally not a big deal, but it seemed to echo through our room. I am vowing never to stay in cheap hotels ever again after this experience.

The reason it gets a 2 is because the front desk staff was absolutely fantastic! I think Michael was working friday evening when we checked in. He was super friendly, very pleasant to speak with after the long drive!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Providence, RI
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Worried about this place because the reviews weren't great and the price was super cheap (about $40/night). I was pleasantly surprised. The room was comfortable and clean. The fridge was unplugged, but that's fairly common. Everything worked properly. I really couldn't have asked for anything more. Stayed 3 nights and didn't have a problem. The only thing I would say wasn't great was that it kinda smelled like cigarette smoke, but that could've just been me as my travel partner didn't notice it until after we returned from the second concert (so it was probably us that he smelled). The walls were also a bit thin, but not to the point that we were kept up at night. The staff was pleasant to deal with. I would not hesitate going back.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Powell Butte
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Stayed 2 nights. Too late to cancel the second night. Dirty. Mold in bathroom. No fitted sheet so didn't stay on the bed. Burn holes in blanket. Whoever stayed in the next room set the clock radio alarm to go off at midnight. Sound came through the walls. Had to call the desk twice for someone to turn it off. That took 30 min even though it was about 200 ft from the desk and hotel desk clerk as not doing anything. Poor continental breakfast unless you like stale cereal. Would not stay there again. Our room didn't have a clock.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Upper Dublin, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 30, 2013

My family and I took an eight-day vacation to the Busch Gardens/Williamsburg area. We stayed here five nights from 8/20 through 8/25. I picked this place 7 miles down I-64 from Busch Gardens because we've stayed here since August of 2008. We've come to know a number of the staff as well as the owner and his wife (check out my 2011 and 2012 reviews of past stays.)

It's conveniently located a few miles down Warwick Blvd just off of Exit 250A on SB I-64. I originally picked it because it was one of the less expensive hotels at about half the price of other hotels in the immediate Williamsburg area. Days Inn Newport News is an excellent value for families on a tighter budget considering that it's only a 10-15 minute drive to Busch Gardens, Water Country USA and Colonial Williamsburg. Plus, it's 10 minutes closer to Virginia beach than Williamsburg hotels.

On the premises there is Vancostas restaurant, a full service place open daily from 6:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., 10:00 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays. Check out my reviews for more info.

Check-in went smoothly. Since I had made a reservation in advance it took only a couple of minutes to get the room keys even though we arrived after 6:00 p.m. The keys didn't always work and a number of times I had to ask housekeeping to open the door. They said that perhaps something magnetic in my pocket was affecting the keys. My wife had better luck with opening the door than I did.

The rooms were, at best, somewhat clean. The cleaning staff we met are generally polite and courteous. Towels were changed every day although we can't say for sure about the sheets. Being late risers we asked a number times to have our room made up later in the day only to come back in the evening and find that it hadn't been done. There were three of us in our party but housekeeping typically only puts out two sets of towels. We had to mention it to management a number of times and even then we often had to ask yet again for additional towels. Also, the room was not properly vacuumed and cleaned daily. We would come back to the room only to find either it hadn't been vacuumed at all or poorly done at best (we mentioned the same thing in last year's review.) Cleaning staff uses those heavily perfumed sprays to help mask odors but will use regular Windex if asked to. We found at least one dead roach that must've been lying there for a while when we saw it, but didn't see any live roaches. The premises are close to a wooded area. Keeping the door closed as much as possible helped keep mosquitoes and other insects out of the room.

The bathroom, toilet, sink and shower are generally clean, and stocked with four complete sets of fresh towels, soap and shampoo daily. The full-sized beds are a little comfortable, however, a number of blankets are old with holes in them. The a/c, refrigerator, phone, picture tube TV and microwave all worked fine without any problems although the air filter on the a/c should be cleaned out more often. The dated furniture and room look like the websites photos (which are a number of years old) except that the wear of time has taken its toll. The owner has been very active in upgrading the hotel since taking it over in 2007 and personally oversees grounds keeping. I saw that one of the two buildings had been freshly repainted since last summer. The inside of the rooms have also been repainted since 2011's Hurricane Irene. We didn't use the pool but saw a number of other guests enjoying it on numerous occasions despite the greenish coating of algae on the bottom of it. More attention should be made at keeping the whole pool clean.

The free breakfast of toast, hot and cold cereals and fresh fruit, tea, coffee, milk and juice was adequate considering that we only used it twice; the other days we went to Vancostas.

For the past six summers we have been staying at Days Inn in Newport News, but owing to the superior quality and cleanliness of the Newport News Microtel, for only $7 to $10 a night more we're planning on staying there on future trips to Busch Gardens/Colonial Williamsburg.

Our five-night stay came to only $214.90 including the room safe which we didn't use, and the outrageously high combined Virginia/Newport News room taxes. All said Days Inn Newport News is a good value hotel when you're on a tight budget.

Room Tip: If you know you're going to stay here for vacation, book well in advance to lock in a low rate...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family