“Worst Motel ever, 59 yrs. old and have been to many.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Days Inn Newport News/Oyster Point at City Center

Days Inn Newport News/Oyster Point at City Center
Ranked #23 of 38 Hotels in Newport News
Greenville, Mi.
“Worst Motel ever, 59 yrs. old and have been to many.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2010

We booked through Expedia, what a mistake. You pay in advance, then your stuck with the 3 day stay as there is no way to get a refund. When we arrived, Days Inn didn't have any lights on the sign therefore it was hard to locate. The pillows were extremely soiled, bathroom and carpets hadn't been swept. The lamp had a broken socket with exposed wires. It was a Non-smoking rm. yet the bedspead and blanket had cigarette holes in them.The breakfast was less than adequate. After I brought my concerns to the Mgr., she asked if I wanted another rm. Then she ignored us for the remaining 2 days. I will never stay in another Days Inn.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
6 Thank Informed51
JBClark, Director of Sales at Days Inn Newport News/Oyster Point at City Center, responded to this review, November 17, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to voice your concerns. Anytime a concern is brought in a timely manner, we make every attempt to resolve the situation immediately. There were several items mentioned in your posting that were never addresses to us. We are always open to suggestions as to how we can improve. I will be happy to talk to you about any specifics. Please contact me at the hotel and I will do the best that I can to make sure you are satisified.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Alpharetta, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2010

We stayed at this hotel with a teenage girls' basketball team for 3 nights with no huge complaints. I called ahead to request early check in (10:30 a.m.) and when we got there all but one of our rooms was ready. (We had 10 rooms reserved). There is no sign out front and the hotel is very dingy and outdated. The photos on the website are VERY misleading! The rooms were fairly clean but had an odor and there was something that strongly resembled mold on the ceilings in the first floor rooms. The meeting room and the continential breakfast are one in the same which isn't a big deal if you don't want to have an early morning meeting. The staff was not very friendly, but not outright rude. There was one employee (Ashley) who was very friendly and tried her best to make us comfortable. It wasn't the greatest place to stay, but it wasn't the most horrible one either.

• Stayed April 2010
1 Thank Reece1125
JBClark, Public Relations Manager at Days Inn Newport News/Oyster Point at City Center, responded to this review, April 20, 2010
Thank you for your review of our hotel. It should be noted that the Teams for the Boo Williams Tournament that you participated in, arrived at the hotel at 11AM, four hours prior to our regular check in time. Our Desk made every effort to accommodate the early check ins as quickly and expeditiously as possible. We checked in individual 85 rooms in less than 2.5 hours and made sure every one got a room as soon as possible.
massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2010

Inside and outside this hotel was worn out and tired. The front lobby smelled of cigarette smoke and needs some updates. The room was clean but beds were small and not terribly comfortable. We weren't brave enough to try the breakfast,

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank nancye123
JBClark, Marketing at Days Inn Newport News/Oyster Point at City Center, responded to this review, March 8, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to offer a review on our hotel. I did want to offer a response to your comments.

We strive to offer clean, comfortable and affordable lodgings. Many brands have eliminated smoking rooms from their domestic hotels. Wyndham World Wide, the parent of Days Inn, allows for smoking rooms in their US hotels. Ours just happen to be on the first floor, which is the most common room location request for smokers. It is a delicate balance and we will continue to try ensure the all of our guests enjoy their stay with us.
Alexandria
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2009

I checked into the Days Inn and asked for a rate (we decided to stay in town after the wedding instead of driving home). The late night shift check in person gave me a quote of $59 and asked if if was cheaper for AAA/State/or Federal ($89!). I asked if I could have the same rate as one of our friends who booked through Travelocity at $42. So, I went across the hall onto their computer and booked a night including taxes for $52 through Travelocity instead of straight through the hotel. Even worse, reminder to check your credit card statement. I got charged a random $1.58 on my credit card and when I called the front desk to inquire about the charges, she said that her computer doesn't go back that far (it was less than 2 wks ago) and she told me to call back on Monday to another manager. I then asked this receptionist what her name is so when I called back on Monday, I can say who had helped me. Her reply, "Just say that person working front desk on a Friday!" She would not give me her name! So, just a warning, if you want to stay here, book through Travelocity for the best rates and check your credit card bill for random charges. Sure it's only $1.58, but it's the principal!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SCJONES81
St. Augustine, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2009

just needs renovation or even some maintenance - wallpaper in bathroom falling off the wall- touch up of paint in room - nothing serious and was plenty clean with comfortable mattress - fine for a night if you want something cheap - breakfast the usual

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
Charlottesville, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2008

A hint to the wise is sufficient! If you book this hotel online at the hotel website, you may find yourself with a non-refundable reservation whether you want one or not. This hotel is very convenient to Christopher Newport University. However, it is best to call Days Inn directly since the website reservation center appears to book only non-refundable reservations.

• Liked — Near Christopher Newport University
  • Disliked — Online reservations are non-refundable regardless of how it was booked
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Booking on line can save you money, but you have to be very aware of not only the terms and conditions on the 3rd Party Agency that you are using, but also the rate. All major Brands offer "Book it now" rates, which are non-changeable, non-refundable. You can save money, but you lose the flexibility.

If you use a 3rd Party Agency; (Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, etc), the hotel offers the room to the 3rd Party Agency and they in turn sell the room to you., Your purchase agreement is with the 3rd Party, not with the hotel. It is the 3rd Party Agency's policies that apply, not the Hotel's. Again, you can save some money that way, but like an airline ticket, it is a locked in purchase. If you are not 100% sure that you will not have any changes in your travel plans, be sure that you are booking a changeable rate.
Midlothian, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2008

I had to take a class nearby so I booked this on the Hotel's website, I booked for $64.50. I was charged an additional $1.50 for some safe the ower has. Make sure you look at the fine print when you sign in, they will try to add things to your bill.

Breakfast was OK- nothing special- just cereal, toast, bagels, french toast, coffee, milk, and juice.

Wireless is weak on the first floor.

I would stay here again.

Stayed February 2008