“Great Staff - Poor Breakfast”

Days Inn Newport News/Oyster Point at City Center
Ranked #24 of 38 Hotels in Newport News
Charlotte
“Great Staff - Poor Breakfast”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

The staff at the hotel was great. The room was adequate. It would have been nice if they had applied my AAA discount but since I booked if via their call center (spoke very poor English) the hotel could not apply the discount. The breakfast was disappointing, but again it was okay- cereal, muffins, coffee.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

Days I, Manager at Days Inn Newport News/Oyster Point at City Center, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Thank you for your review, I'm delighted to see the staff was friendly and your stay went well. We are taking your opinion and others and reconsidering the options for our continental breakfast.

We appreciate you staying with us and we look forward to your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
VA
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Do not book this hotel. It should not even be one star. We had two rooms and both were extremely filthy. One room had an open soap in the bathroom and the other had no appliances. The iron holder was on the wall with no iron, there was coffee and sugar but no coffee machine. The room was FILLED with white powder dust along the sides, as if someone was sanding the walls and left it all there. The carpet had nasty stains on it. Both room bathrooms were filled with disgusting odor and dirt and black marks all over it. the wallpaper in the bathroom was peeling off. The pillows were like cases filled with bunched up newspaper. The curtains did not close all the way and let in the bright street lights inside, and the bright sunlight at 5am. I usually sleep in my tank top but decided to sleep in full sleeves to protect myself from being infected with anything. I would have left if my reservations weren't non-refundable.

Please do not get me started about the breakfast. Consists of bread, two cereals (Fruit loops and frosted flakes), milk, coffee, and muffins. ALL bread was finished when I went, attendant said the rest was frozen and saved for next day - moral of story? FROZEN BREAKFAST. I had no breakfast - no refilling of milk or bread. I ate at cracker barrel instead.

Management seems to be replying to the reviews, but that is all they do. They need to stop being so greedy and put these nasty rooms out-of-service. Forget the few bucks and protect your customers from the hazardous, disgusting conditions. Your reply of 'thank you for letting us know' is completely useless for those of us that have gone through the misery of staying in your rooms.

Room Tip: Sleep in your car.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank love2lovetravel
Days I, Manager at Days Inn Newport News/Oyster Point at City Center, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Good Morning,

I apologize about your stay, but as you have noticed we are under renovations, we have started by paining the rooms and redoing the hallways. Now that the season is over we are able to aggressively work on the other issues. We take our guests opinion very seriously and are working continuously on making the changes necessary to ensure our guests are satisfied. Once we are completed with everything I would like to welcome you back and prove to you we care.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, we value your opinion.
Saint Albans
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Water in bathroon took forever to go down, comforter was stained, lamps did not work., carpet was clammy...room had an odor, toilet bowl had stains as if it had not been cleaned...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

2 Thank Allison J
Days I, Manager at Days Inn Newport News/Oyster Point at City Center, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Good Afternoon,

I apologize that your experience with us was un satisfactory. We are looking into this and plan on making the necessary changes to ensure our guest stay will be nothing but pleasant.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to welcoming you back to the new and improved Days Inn City Center
Newport News, Virginia
Reviewed August 22, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel during our move to Newport News. There are renovations going on at this hotel but our room was clean and in good condition. We had our two cats with us and the staff was very helpful during our stay.Anita, the clerk at the front desk was very helpful when we had to stay an extra day because the house was not ready yet.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Linda J
Days I, Manager at Days Inn Newport News/Oyster Point at City Center, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Thank you for staying with us! I am so pleased that everything went great and that the staff was accommodating. We are going through changes and do hope that you will return and grow with us.
Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here from 8/10-8/14 and before we arrived was a little worried...But from the moment we arrived the staff was very helpful and friendly unlike what I read. The Inn is undergoing renovations and we were never disturbed. The rooms were spacious and clean. Housekeeping was very professional.Everything and every store was near. The front desk personnel especially Arnita was wonderful. She answered every question and there were many...Thanks Darling.... When we go back next year for our amusement park excursion we will be back Arnita so look out for us....

• Stayed August 2013
Days I, Manager at Days Inn Newport News/Oyster Point at City Center, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to inform us about your stay. I am very pleased to hear that one of our staff members made your stay pleasurable. I will definitely share this with her. Thank you for being our guest and we look forward to your next visit!