Days Inn Newport News/Oyster Point at City Center
Ranked #24 of 38 Hotels in Newport News
“Stay Away!!”
Reviewed October 10, 2011

This is a hotel aging in front of your eyes with a staff that leaves a lot to be desired.

We arrived and the girl behind the desk shuffled her way over to the desk, grunted a few words, slide our keys across the counter and shuffled outside to smoke. This leads me the next problem, the "continental breakfast". If she wouldn't have been so concerned with her next cigarette, she could have communicated to us that all the signs in the hotel are wrong and that the "breakfast" actually ends at 9:00 not 10:00.

We arrived for the "breakfast" at 9:35 to find everything put away. I asked the front desk and they point at a small sign on the wall stating it is actually over at 9:00. Get new signs in your rooms or tell people when they check in of the time change. I budget my trip and free breakfast was a huge factor in booking my hotel.

The room was okay, but I would not walk around barefoot, the bed was like a rock, the stuffing was falling out of my pillow, the blankets were disgusting, the room smelled musty and I picked long hairs out of the sheets.

The location was good, but there are plenty of other hotels in the area for a little more money. Please stay at one of those and save yourself the aggravation.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
11 Thank josefina628

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Hampton, Virginia
Reviewed September 26, 2011

I booked two rooms at this hotel during Hurricane Irene for my parents and myself as our houses are surrounded by large trees. Based on the general reputation of Days Inn, I wasn't expecting a five star hotel, but this failed to meet even the most basic of expectations.

1. Customer Service- It was nearly impossible to reach someone by phone at the hotel. That should have been red flag number one. When we arrived, we had to wait for the young woman working the front desk to finish her cigarette outside before we could check in. She was civil at best. During our stay, we tried to phone the front desk only to receive no answer as was par for the course. So, we went down to the lobby to, again, find her smoking outside, engaged in a conversation with some other young guests regarding marijuana.

2. General Cleanliness- I'm not sure that this hotel even has a housekeeping staff. The floors were covered in dirt and grime. Walking around my room without shoes was not an option. When I entered my room, the first thing that I noticed was the smell. The same held true for my parents' room. It was musty, moldy and humid. I attempted to turn on the a/c unit in the room and noticed that it was covered in dried, sticky brown substances with Cheetos inside the actual unit, itself. The phone in the room was covered in the same dried-on substance but with the added touch of black, curly hairs all over the keypad. The same hairs also adorned the tv remote, the ice bucket, the mirror in the bathroom, the ceiling over the shower and the back of the toilet. When I was checking for bed bugs, I pulled the mattress away from the wall to find a plethora of trash and kids' toys. The refrigerator and coffee maker were broken. There was a fixture on the wall in the bathroom that wasn't being used anymore and that was filled with bottle caps from Miller High Life. My parents' room was no better than mine. Their smoke detector was hanging off the wall by the wires. The main lobby doors were left open during the entire duration of the storm because there was no air conditioning in there. I counted six different buckets catching water that was pouring out of the ceiling in the lobby. I also had at least two buckets on my floor alone. At one point, the ceiling became so saturated that the popcorn finish collapsed and littered the hallway.

3. Clientele- The people that were living, not staying, in the rooms across from us were in a heated argument in the hallway when we approached our rooms. After glaring at us and ignoring our attempt to greet them, they shuffled their four small children inside two of the rooms and continued to yell at each other. The noise from these people was a constant presence during our two night stay. Also, we had to stomach the sickening smell of the food they were cooking in their rooms. There is no such thing as ventilation in this hotel. It's all dead air.

4. Breakfast- The continental breakfast that was offered was a joke. There were stale bagel pieces covered in gnats. I'm sure this had something to do with the fact they had the breakfast set up in a room directly next to the sliding glass doors in the lobby that were never closed for the duration of my stay. The coffee station was disgusting, to say the least. Fortunately, we had brought our own supply of food and water because of the hurricane.

This hotel is a dump. It caters to transients. There is no such thing as cleanliness. It was repulsive. The customer service was awful. Not only will I never stay at this particular hotel again, I will never stay at another Days Inn, period. We took pictures of all of this and have compiled them with a letter to send to corporate. They cannot honestly think that this hotel has a proper staff or has been properly maintained.

Room Tip: There is no good room.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
12 Thank Elyse G
Mechanicsville, Virginia
Reviewed August 18, 2011

Stayed with a group, which included children, and saw people with ankle monitoring bracelets staying there, broken pills on the elevator, syringe tops under the bed, very stained mattresses and box springs. Dark atmosphere, NOT clean. Checked 2 rooms and quickly checked out. Would NOT recommend, unless you don't mind these things.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
13 Thank angela h
charlescity
Reviewed June 8, 2011

I just have to tell you that I stayed at this hotel in March....and again in June., the entire feel of the place was like night and day! The room was cleaner, and the front desk crew really seemed like they cared, unlike the last time I stayed.
I will be back & would tell everyone to give this place another chance! Breakfast overall was pretty good, there were more choices than the last time, and we were pretty happy. I would like to see a bit more lighting in the hallways...it was a bit dim,.

Room Tip: We stayed on the third floor just above the pool,!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed June 7, 2011

This place is not as bad as the comments posted. I thought it was clean & comfortable!
I think that it is under new management and it really shows! The entire staff went out of thier way to make my stay enjoyable, from my arrival to departure we were very happy!
Loved the pool.

Thank you, Days Inn!
Carrie

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on the third floor...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank CarrieBcareful2
Michigan
Reviewed May 26, 2011

Booked this hotel on a client recommendation. The rooms are shoddy. The furniture is worn and dirty. The desk lamp is bent. The in room fridga and microwave are nice. The in room intenet cable is fallng off the wall. My room is located by an exit door on the ground floor that is broken and won't close creating a security risk. I have yet to see the USA Today that is promised on the hotel website. The complimentary breakfast consists of frozen waffles, pancakes and french toast, cold cereal, bread for toast, coffee and juice. I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
12 Thank sleeping_bear
Louisville, KY
Reviewed March 26, 2011

Okay, it's not a roach hotel or anything, but please avoid this Days Inn. It is antiquated, dirty, and poorly managed. Here are my major gripes:

1. Customer Service - Of the three different front-desk employees I encountered on my trip, not one of them displayed any sort of professionalism. Sloppily dressed, no welcome greeting or any acknowledgment when I'd walk by. One was too busy smoking outside the main entrance to help me. I'm also quite sure that I heard a dog barking back in the office.

2. Age - The building is just showing its age and lack of general upkeep. Design is dated and its just obvious that whoever runs this place really has no pride in the product they're offering.

3. Cleanliness - Not filthy, but not clean either. I dropped something between my mattress and the wall. By the amount of dustbunnies, scraps of trash, etc, you can tell that this space is rarely cleaned. The bathroom, while sanitary, didn't really look clean. Lots of rust stains on the floor and busted up drywall around the shower curtain.

4. Breakfast - How do you mess up a continental breakfast? I had low expectations, and they somehow managed to fail to meet them. A loaf of bread, some semi-stale bagels. One variety of cereal. (Froot loops?!) A few packets of oatmeal and some unwrapped hostess mini cinnamon rolls. A giant tub of community margarine... ick. That was about it. There wasn't even juice... though there was a juice machine that supposedly offered apple and orange juice... push the button and nothing comes out.

There were a lot of other nit-picky things, too... Looking back on my stay, the biggest issue here is the customer service. I think if the staff took more pride in the facility that I would have overlooked some rust stains and a lackluster breakfast. I'd expect this kind of service and upkeep at a cheap roadside motel, but at a major national chain I expect something quite a bit better.

Please choose a different place to stay until this place gets a renovation and new management.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business