“This was probably one of the best places I have ever stayed.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hampton Inn & Suites Newport News (Oyster Point)

Hampton Inn & Suites Newport News (Oyster Point)
Ranked #2 of 40 Hotels in Newport News
Newville, Pennsylvania
“This was probably one of the best places I have ever stayed.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

From the ease in making a reservation to our leaving, everything about this stay was perfect. I can't think of anything to criticize about our stay. I would definitely stay here again - as well as in other future Hampton Inns.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank CherylKay24

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Frederick, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

1. Beds were TINY. No queen beds, no double beds - only "full" size. The two slender, 105 lbs (max) girls with me had trouble sharing this small space. Cannot imagine trying to fit two adults.
2. Wireless Internet did not work - kept disconnecting. Was told by front desk staff that they knew.
3. Dryer in guest laundry area out of service. We traveled with a soccer team and had wet, smelly uniforms we could not dry after washing.
4. Biggest Complaint - AUTOMATED WAKE UP CALL WAS 40 EARLY. I set time for 6:00am. Received call at 5:20am. Never, ever had this happen. Not just me entering the wrong time which I questioned - heard countless folks complaining at breakfast. 40 minutes to the minute before the time everyone entered.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
Chris S, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Newport News (Oyster Point), responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear sdptwo P,

We are sorry we were not able to provide you and your team with a better quality of service. This is not typical of our usual Hamptonality and welcoming staff, and we are always looking for ways to improve our customer experience. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we are all about Satisfaction Guaranteed. We will be sure to address all issues mentioned with our team and I can assure you that we will make the necessary changes. We are currently on the tail end of an extensive property ugrade and part of that will see us moving from double to queen beds which we are very excited about and should provide the extra room that you had mentioned. Thank you for your feedback and we hope you will come back and stay with us again.

Chris Simpson and Staff
Indiana, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

My wife and I spent two nights here while visiting friends. The hotel is 18 years old but is undergoing a total renovation. When it is finished, this Hampton Inn will be completely updated to current Hampton Inn standards.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lamp56
Cocoa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Stayed at this property for approximately 6 months on an extended assignment for work. The room was a King suite with a kitchenette. This has been the best hotel I have stayed. The entire staff was always friendly, courtious, concerned about my stay, and always ready to go above and beyond to meet any of my needs. Hotel often had groups of children, or sports teams, but only had a couple minor issues over the 6 months (but the staff corrected those issues within minutes of me notifying them). Hotel always felt clean and secure, did need more washers and dryers, but breakfast and evening snacks were great. Has onsite gym was ok, but also had complimentary access to the Bally's fitness center next door (this was one of the best deals I have seen from a hotel). Ideally located near every typical store or restaraunt you might need, a shopping mall, and approximately 5 minute drive (about 2 miles) from the Newport News airport with complimentary shuttle service to the airport. Within 15-20 minutes drive of Colonial Williamsburg, and Busch Gardens Williamsburg amusement park. I cannot recommend this hotel enough, or say enough good things about this property and it's staff. It was one of the things that made that extended work assignment more than bearable. The lobby and staff made it feel like I was like coming home at the end of each day. This has been the best experience I have ever had in over 30 years of staying at hotels.

Room Tip: Shuttle to/from airport stops running between 11pm and 5am without special arrangement ahead of time...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

2 Thank Mystay12
mcLean, Virginia, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

The hotel is being renovated. The lobby is closed and one has to enter through a side door. That door remains UNLOCKED 24 hours/day. I felt very unsafe with my kids in our suite because I asked and found out that there was no security camera on that door and the check-in location was about three or four doors down. HOWEVER, the stairs to the guests' rooms were adjacent to the unlocked door. We were staying in the second floor directly across from those un-secure stairs and entrance. I know there was nothing to be done at the time, but I would never stay there again until the door was locked, had a camera pointed at it and check-in guests had to be physically let in after hours. I saw a few people loitering around the street and I felt (probably just overly paranoid me), but I felt like a target as a mom alone with very small children. This is the sole reason for my poor review. Everyone one else was kind and very friendly. The room was very clean. The breakfast was decent and the kids had a great time there, I even had car trouble and they gave my battery a jump. I was just very disappointed about the management's or owner's poor planning for guests' safety.

Room Tip: Call and ask if construction is over. I would also ask if all side doors are secure with entry via...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Chris S, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Newport News (Oyster Point), responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear Odyssey38,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We appreciate the good comments, and also do understand the concern regarding our temporary entranceway. We take our guests comments and concerns seriously, and will take the necessary steps to improve upon it. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you in the future.

Chris Simpson
Maryland, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I visited for work. Check-in was easy and the person working the front desk was knowledgeable and informative. The room was very clean (and I am very hard to please in this category) and the bed was comfortable. I never heard any noise from the construction during my stay. The free breakfast was average and just about what I expected. I appreciated my plastic construction helmet and rubber construction ducky. I would definitely stay her again and recommend this hotel to others. The only thing I didn't like was the bad lighting in the bathroom. It was dim and there were no lights anywhere in the room that were good for putting on make-up.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank 0913SJL
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

When I first arrived in my room, I saw my window covered by scaffolding outside. That in itself is not a big deal. But when I turned on the heat, a burning smell came out which did not go away. It was likely from the construction taking place outside my window. So I called the front desk asking if I could move rooms, and they accommodated my request immediately, no questions asked. With the hotel in the middle renovations, their actions showed that they really wanted people to feel comfortable. It worked for me!

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business