“Average for the Price”

Point Plaza Suites & Conference Center
Ranked #30 of 40 Hotels in Newport News
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I stayed at this place for a 1 night stay, as most hotels in the Williamsburg area were sold out for that particular evening. It is a convenient location, only about 25 minutes from Williamsburg. This is a older property; however, generally well maintained. I would put it into the category of a well-kept Days Inn or similar property. I found it good for 1 night for the right price. It is not somewhere where I would personally want to stay for multiple nights or pay over $100 per night for. However, opinions of everyone differ. Although it may not have been my ideal property, it may suit the needs of others.

I will say that generally it was a well-run establishment. We had a room in the main building, close to the front desk. It was a room with two double beds, that was comfortably furnished with the basic amenities. It reminded you of a "motel" feel; however, still very clean and comfortable.

In the morning, there was a breakfast buffet; however, the waffle machines were broken and they generally were out of many of the items.

I would stay again for a rate of around $75.00; however, not higher than that.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 2, 2013

Got this hotel in a last minute Hotwire deal, and I'm glad I did. The room was clean and comfortable, the breakfast excellent, and the front desk staff was very helpful, I would definitely stay here again if in the area.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank barrythewombat
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Although it is an older "Grand motel" from the early 1960's, it has been updated and well maintained. The "motel" section has been converted to suites by combining two motel rooms. They are large and very comfortable with a kitchen, two queen size beds and a pull out sofa. They also have a four story "tower" section. Rooms are very well appointed and extremely clean. Stayed there for a week while attending a conference and received excellent service. The front desk staff is excellent. Very knowledgeable of the area and extremely helpful and pleasant. The housekeeping staff is wonderful...never had to ask for something. Did have one minor problem with one of the A/C units in our suite. Told the desk and they had a maintenance crew there in minutes and the problem was corrected in short order. The complementary breakfast was great. A buffet style hot breakfast, with muffins, waffles, etc.
Highly recommend the Point Plaza.

Room Tip: If traveling with a family - suggest the suites, lots of room and two TV's :).
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Bald1
Reviewed August 22, 2013

The hotels I would give a 3 rating only becuase of the Staff and the Pool . The bedding needs an upgrade the blankets on the bed gave me the cheaps Just Nasty on yeah So glad I had my own wash/ towels cloths can you say TIde with bleach????

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 8, 2013

This hotel looks like its seen better days from the outside(as a convention facility), but I was pleasantly surprised. We got a very good deal, and after checking in there was a problem with an odor in the room but the front desk staff jumped right on it and got us into a new room. The place was clean and they seem to be trying hard to upgrade things when they can. The breakfast was a bit better than the usual stuff, and the pool was clean. I really can't complain except for the old television, and I think they'll probably get new ones when they can.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 6, 2013

When I booked this hotel I had fears that it would turn out like several others I have stayed in in SE Virginia. But I was pleasantly surprised.

The front desk staff were absolutely customer service driven. For me, that's a definitely plus.

The room was clean and comfortable. All the amenities were in place and functional. The beds were comfortable enough, but with the condition of my back I can never truly say a bed is 100% comfortable. My issue, not the hotel's.

The locale of this hotel is average. Business area, lots of restaurants and shopping. Kind of handy of that's what you're looking to indulge in.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Carol S
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Let me start by saying that I am a hotel snob. This hotel however is fine. We only stayed one night. The staff was great and very accommodating. The food for breakfast was included and was good. The staff notified everyone twice that they would be closing the breakfast bar before they actually closed. The hotel was clean and the bed comfortable. We made a mistake however and booked a smoking room and could not get this changed due to the fact that they where sold out for the night. The hotel disinfected the room however the smell was still over powering. So--- I do recommend the hotel but if you don't smoke and can not get a non-smoking room go elsewhere. I had family who stayed at the H. I. across the street though and they said this place was MUCH better.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family