“Family trip”

Ranked #29 of 38 Hotels in Newport News
New Brunswick, New Jersey
“Family trip”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

The hotels I would give a 3 rating only becuase of the Staff and the Pool . The bedding needs an upgrade the blankets on the bed gave me the cheaps Just Nasty on yeah So glad I had my own wash/ towels cloths can you say TIde with bleach????

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

This hotel looks like its seen better days from the outside(as a convention facility), but I was pleasantly surprised. We got a very good deal, and after checking in there was a problem with an odor in the room but the front desk staff jumped right on it and got us into a new room. The place was clean and they seem to be trying hard to upgrade things when they can. The breakfast was a bit better than the usual stuff, and the pool was clean. I really can't complain except for the old television, and I think they'll probably get new ones when they can.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

When I booked this hotel I had fears that it would turn out like several others I have stayed in in SE Virginia. But I was pleasantly surprised.

The front desk staff were absolutely customer service driven. For me, that's a definitely plus.

The room was clean and comfortable. All the amenities were in place and functional. The beds were comfortable enough, but with the condition of my back I can never truly say a bed is 100% comfortable. My issue, not the hotel's.

The locale of this hotel is average. Business area, lots of restaurants and shopping. Kind of handy of that's what you're looking to indulge in.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Carol S
Rehoboth Beach
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

Let me start by saying that I am a hotel snob. This hotel however is fine. We only stayed one night. The staff was great and very accommodating. The food for breakfast was included and was good. The staff notified everyone twice that they would be closing the breakfast bar before they actually closed. The hotel was clean and the bed comfortable. We made a mistake however and booked a smoking room and could not get this changed due to the fact that they where sold out for the night. The hotel disinfected the room however the smell was still over powering. So--- I do recommend the hotel but if you don't smoke and can not get a non-smoking room go elsewhere. I had family who stayed at the H. I. across the street though and they said this place was MUCH better.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
pa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

Stayed during Easter for a Busch Gardens vacation. The location was great and there are many restaurants within the area. People at the front desk were very helpful. The pool and rooms were clean and breakfast was good. I would definitely stay there again !

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank moulinrgegrl
Fort Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

My Cousins wife booked this for me off of Hotwire for $46 a night. My expectations were really low. I was greeted by a very friendly and service oriented young lady. The hotel had some odd decor with the carpet and doors, but the rooms themselves were fine. They had a fridge, and microwave as well as a safe. Note, some of the rooms have outside access motel style, but we scored a room with an indoor hallway. The hotel was clean, they had a free breakfast that was sufficient. I would stay here again at the right price.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank mmill005
Loni C, Guest Relations Manager at Point Plaza Suites and Conference Hotel, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review and for staying with us at Point Plaza Suites & Conference Hotel. We are happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay and our complimentary breakfast. Thank you for your business and thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you again when you are in the Newport News area.
Goochland, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

I've stayed in suites and regular rooms and find them all better than average! Even when checking in last minute and stuck in a smoking room, it was very clean and aired out! Most hotels either don't do much to smoking rooms, or Point Plaza has a great deodorizer!

Their free breakfast is far from continental! They put on one heck of a spread!! If all you want is the expected tiny muffin and bowl of cereal, then get it. But I prefer the hot eggs, Belgian waffles (you make yourself so they are fresh every time!) and sometimes the biscuits and gravy!

The front desk staff is top notch! It doesn't matter what time of day or night, they will make your stay right! Need a rollaway at 3am? Not a problem! (been there, done that and was surprised to get it quickly!) The person that posted the review and had so many "problems" with Dawn, if Dawn is the person I'm thinking of, it didn't happen! I may be wrong but if she's who I think she is, I have seen her handle loud drunk Latinos (while speaking in fluent Spanish) and checking in 2 families at the same time (my family was one of them). She had the ability to calm the man down and make my wife not as nervous as she was when the guy first walked up!

The pool is clean and very nice, and quite big for a hotel! I would love for them to add a hot tub, but they can only make so much profit when selling rooms to cheap people like me that use travelocity and other discount sites!

They have dvd players in every room, a list of great movies to watch and even a movie screening room!

A top notch place that I don't feel hesitant about checking in to!

Room Tip: Tips to choose a good room....... Ask for one with a bed! They are different sizes with different si...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank FR8TrainRunner
Loni C, Guest Relations Manager at Point Plaza Suites and Conference Hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review and for staying with us at Point Plaza Suites & Conference Hotel. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our complimentary breakfast! Thank you for being a loyal customer and for staying with us every time you are in the Newport News area. Thank you for your business and thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you again soon in Newport News!