“Needs major improvements”

Comfort Inn Hotel Newport News
Ranked #7 of 39 Hotels in Newport News
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We were resigned to the first floor bc we had pets. We had to weed out the best of the worst smelling rooms. They all smelled musty/moldy. This may not be the case for the upper rooms, but we were not able to choose those bc of the pets. We went up the road to Target for air freshners to try and cover up the smell. I wish I had just chosen a different hotel right there and then, but we had been in the car for hours and were meeting friends for dinner shortly after we arrived. Breakfast was fine and the location was great.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Rebecca W, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn Hotel Newport News, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Dear Hanah,

Thank you for your honest review of your recent stay at our property. I deeply apologize that we have failed to meet your expectatations as a guest and hope you will give us another opportunity. To address your issue, we do strive to meet all of our guests requests and expectations. Unfortunately that isnt always possible. We do have pet rooms for our guests with furry friends, but we also have guests who have allergies to pets as well. So we designate the first floor as our pet floor to accommodate all of our guests to the best of our capabilities. Our property is indeed due for major improvements, and that is exactly what we are planning on doing! We will be under going a total soft renovation for our property, giving it a complete 100% refreshment and facelift! Our guest rooms are our top priority, and they will be completley different in just a few months! We encourage you to re visit us and check them out! If you'd like, you can contact me directly to make your reservations so that I can ensure your stay is flawless from booking to check out, and every little detail in between! Thank you again for reviewing our property, and we look forward to the opportunity of turning your opinion of our hotel around with a second chance!

Reviewed September 16, 2013

This hotel was recommended as a place to stay for an event nearby. The hotel offered a GREAT rate for people attending the event. I was very pleased that the hotel was in a great location convenient to restaurants and shopping. The front desk was friendly and even acknowledged that I was a gold member with a little bag of snacks! What a nice unexpected touch! The rooms were clean and very comfortable! I would definitely stay here again!

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Rebecca W, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn Hotel Newport News, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Dear KH21804,

Thank you for such a generous review! We strive to provide this experience for all of our guests and we are thrilled that we are meeting our travelers expectations! We look forward to the possibility of hosting your future stays, please dont hesitate to contact me the next time you plan to be in the area so we can ensure you recieve another GREAT rate!

Rebecca Waller, GSM

Reviewed September 4, 2013

My wife myself and my grandson were traveling to the outer Banks. We had checked the tripadvisor website to see what was reasonable and could accommodate our 5 year old grandson. We traveled south on Rt. 17 and followed our gps. We really got confused with the directions the gps gave us. As I was attempting to get my bearings I got my picture taken and later a greeting from Newport News PD with a fine for a red light violation. When we finally arrived at the Comfort Inn we were pleased to see a Olive Garden and a Red Lobster no more than a block away. There was a large shopping plaza across busy Jefferson Ave. The inn was beautiful. It was clean both inside and out. We were impressed with everything. The pool was a nice size. The breakfast area with large. There was coffee available both de-caf and regular. There was a container of delicious cookies in the lobby for at least a little while. Our room was clean and comfortable. There was a sofa in our room as well two queen size beds. The bathroom was very clean and modern. The only complaint I had was when I opened the curtain the window was dirty and had handprints on it. I was really surprised given the cleanliness of the rest of the room and inn. I reported the window at the desk when we walked over to the Olive Garden. My complaint was received with an apology. I requested they not address the dirty window until after we left. The next morning we went to breakfast. It was a typical hotel free breakfast with nothing special. Eggs, waffles, yogurt. juices, bagels, etc.. Oh, by the way there was a cooler with yogurt and some items that were available at any time in the breakfast area. Every year we travel to the Outer Banks for a family vacation and had stayed in numerous hotel or inns. Not being totally satisfied. Not anymore, we will be back to the Comfort Inn next year. I just pulled onto Jefferson Ave and directly on Route 64 and we were on our way.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Rebecca W, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn Hotel Newport News, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

Dear drs1231,

Thank you for your generous review of our property. We look forward to hosting your future stays in this area! Please don't hesitate to contact me personally to make your future reservations! 757-249-0200 etension 156!

Reviewed August 31, 2013

Stayed for two nights. Everything was just fine. Good location in a new mall area of the News. Restaurants and a shopping mall within walking distance. The room was clean and comfortable. Flat screen tv, HBO, and wifi. Breakfast was about the same as all the hotels in the $80 to $120 range. Which is say if you want a sauage and egg sandwich or eggs other than scrambled or hard boiled, yu'll still need to go to a restaurant.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Rebecca W, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn Hotel Newport News, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Dear Denisx,

We are very pleased to receive this gracious review from you! Thank you for taking the time to share with other travelers the experience you had at our property recently! We pride ourselves in outstanding guest service and a great product at a cost effective price, and we are very pleased to know that we have delivered that to you! We look forward to hosting your future stays in the area!

Reviewed August 24, 2013

I had 2 rooms at this hotel, we stayed here for 2 nights, only on the ground level. Both rooms were very clean, and updated. The breakfast is correctly described in all of the other reviews, but one thing I would like to note is that parking is terrible! After 8pm all of the front parking is taken, thus forcing everyone else to park in the rear. This wouldnt normally be an issue, except for the swiper on the door in the back did not work. This means if you park in the back at all in the night time you will be forced to walk in the Road (No sidewalk provided or camera protection) to the front of the building. The pool is gated in between these 2 areas and is locked with a chain. Being that I am a smoker, going outside to my car to smoke at midnight was not as comforting as it was at other hotels. While I am speaking of security though, I would like to mention that during the night time hours there is a security guard that watches over the hotel. There is an attendant at the counter at all times as well as the security guard that makes rounds all around the hotel at all times of the night. When I couldnt sleep the second night at 4 am in the morning I woke up and went out the front side door to smoke a cigarette and she came outside and stood in front of the lobby to watch over me. I didnt feel like she was being nosy, just protective. On the second night there was a huge party that accumulated near the 2nd room that I had. There must have been at least 30 people crammed into one room, it took about 30 minutes for the security guard to break it all up, but it was done in a respectable manner.
The hotel is located almost in the same parking lot as a mall. I did not visit the mall, but I liked that I could if I needed to. When you looked out of the side of the building there is a red robin there and there is a bank of america ATM in the parking lot across from the lobby. That is the bank that I use, so I was happy that it was so ironically located. Overall, I would definitely stay at this hotel again.. but hopefully they change their swipers on the back door to allow access.

1  Thank Jayme N
Rebecca W, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn Hotel Newport News, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Dear Jayme P,

Thank you for your genuine review of our property! We appreciate your business and reccomendations on what we could improve on! We are in the process of getting that back door issue corrected and in the meantime are encouraged to know that our security is serving it's purpose! We would love the opportunity to host your future stays in this area! Please dont hesitate to contact me personally so that I can ensure your stay is nothing less than memorable and successful!

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Stayed for one night, very clean, front desk help really nice and helpful. Learned they had a shuttle for travel for dining within a five mile radius, we didn't use it but nice that it was there. Nice pool and the rooms were exceptionally clean. Very nice full breakfast but small area so it was difficult to get through. Located right off the interstate but a little hard to find because of low signage and it sits behind another building. GPS leaves you hanging in the middle of the road so be aware.

Dear USArmyMom,

Thank you for reviewing our property! We appreciate you taking the time to let fellow travelers know your recent experience at our hotel! We are in the process of continuing upgrades at our hotel, so we value your input on some things that we can be doing better and will continue to work on that! We hope to host another stay for you in the near future!

Reviewed August 19, 2013

I had to go to Newport News on business, needed a room for the night, and didn't want to spend $100+. After reading some recent reviews on this place, I almost didn't book but decided to live dangerously. I'm glad I did.

There's nothing wrong with this hotel. I can only assume that there have been major upgrades going on and some of the poor reviews came from people who got an older room. I had a new Panasonic flat screen with HBO, not an old tube TV.

The room (320) had a comfy King, excellent pillows, a smallish but adequate work desk, fridge, microwave and a sofa - yes a sofa. The bathroom was small but recently reno'd and clean. You can't beat the location and breakfast is included for $65. Now that's a bargain.

If I could give half stars, this Comfort Inn would get 4.5

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Dear Stephen A,

Thank you for your generous review of your recent stay at our property! We appreciate your business and are very glad that you decided to take a risk and stay at our property! We hope to have the opportunity to host another successful stay for you in the near future as well!