“It's fine to be pet friendly, not so fine when there's a dog barking in the next room and nobody does anything about it”

Comfort Inn Hotel Newport News
Ranked #5 of 40 Hotels in Newport News
Reviewed July 15, 2012 via mobile

I was generally pleased with the Comfort Inn Airport. The rooms are large and well furnished, the bathroom was a bit dingy and worn appearing, but clean, and the breakfast was a typical Comfort Inn Breakfast. My only real complaint was a barking dog in an adjacent room. I am a pet owner, but would never take a dog into a hotel if it was prone to incessant barking all night long. That is so inconsiderate! I did not call hotel management to complain, but feel they should have dealt with the problem. It could easily be heard all over the first floor of the hotel, and if they didn't hear it they were either ignoring it or not keeping track of their facility. Other than the noise, I would recommend this hotel and stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2012
CINNGM, General Manager at Comfort Inn Hotel Newport News, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2012

I would like to thank you for staying at our hotel during your recent trip to Newport News. It is the policy of our hotel to inform the guests with pets that they should not leave pets in their rooms. Unfortunately, the guest next to your room ignored this policy. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience. Most times when the staff at the front desk is informed of similar problems they are able to inform the guests and was able to control these kinds of situations. We are all glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again on your next visit.

Donato Nosce

Reviewed July 8, 2012

From the friendly front desk operator on the phone to the easy check in to the wonderful breakfast selections and service each morning to the helpful morning attendant's tips and extended stay, we had a thoroughly enjoyable visit! The price was affordable, the location great for an easy drive to historic locals, local beach, the mall and restaurants and only 45 minutes or so to Va Beach. The rooms were clean and comfortable, cleaning/front desk and food prep service persons were impeccable and friendly each and every day of our four day stay!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

In behalf of the management and staff of the Comfort Inn Newport News, I would like to thank you for your great comments about our hotel. It has been our goal to exceed our guests' expectations and we are all glad we achieved that goal during your stay. Please come and stay with us again during your next visit!! Thank you.

Reviewed June 18, 2012 via mobile

Stayed 3 nights, room was cleaned every day very well and the breakfast was good. Overall a decent hotel for the money but certainly not 5 star. Also a great location with many restaurants nearby. Did not use the pool or exercise facility but both appeared to be well kept.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank shcop
Reviewed June 17, 2012 via mobile

When we entered our room we notice a bad damp/musty smell. There are 2 inch gaps between the bottoms of the room doors and the floor. The beds aren't very comfortable. I had someone knocking at my door at 7:00 in the morning. We have stayed at three other hotels this past week and I must say this was the worst one. For $121 that I paid I was excepting a better hotel!

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed June 4, 2012

I had to attend a wedding in Yorktown, Virginia, and I needed to bring my 2 pugs with me. That immediately limited my choices of hotels. This hotel allows them and for reasonable rates. Thus, I booked it for one night. The hotel is located adjacent to the mall. It is an aging hotel that has not been updated in quite some time. The rooms' furnishings are old. In fact, just about everything about the hotel is old. The bed was okay, though, and I didn't get any bedbugs (a major plus in this day and age); I believe it was relatively clean. The staff were friendly and helpful. This is not the type of hotel at which I would normally stay, but it was fine for one night.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 29, 2012

I stayed here after a very long day on the road. They have part of the back lot marked for big trucks, which was surprising but appreciated . The staff was really nice and checked me in quick. The room was absolutely great (RM 344). Double beds, very comfortable. Great shower. Room was very clean and quiet. I would definetely stay again.

Room Tip: Standard choice breakfast with fresh juice.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank cah3295
Reviewed February 24, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a business trip to Newport News, VA. The location is great you are near the airport, shopping, and restaurants. The breakfast was great, anytime I can get waffles it is good!! The staff was great and friendly very accommodating. I was given a room on the freeway side of the hotel and it was too loud for me. The staff had no problem with moving me to another room facing away from the freeway. I would certainly visit this hotel again if I am in the Newport News area for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing towards the freeway or near the elevators.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business