Comfort Inn Hotel Newport News
Ranked #5 of 40 Hotels in Newport News
Reviewed October 4, 2011

Arrived in torrential rain at three storey modern brick-built hotel situated adjacent to Patrick Henry Mall. Missed the car park entrance on first pass by, as the sign was concealed by shrubbery. Friendly staff at Reception. Allocated ground floor (handicapped) room # 106, just by the Reception desk. Room had King-size bed, TV, fridge, microwave, iron, coffee maker, clock-radio and in-room safe (extra $1). Clean and quiet room with furniture in good order, but poorly arranged so that the head of the bed was right up against cabinets at both sides. I suspect this would have made access difficult for a handicapped person. Good breakfast in the lobby area: choice of 3 juices, 4 types of boxed cereal + oatmeal, waffles, bacon, pastries and breads, etc. Strangely set up in that coffee (or tea) was from the opposite side of the lobby, some 30 feet away from the main area.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tourmanagerSussex_UK

Reviewed August 21, 2011

I stayed here on business.
Positive: Its very close to the airport. Its right next to a mall with a food court. Staff was reasonably friendly. Free BreakFast. Free Wi-Fi. Check in and out very efficient. Good shower.
Not-so-Positive: Room kind of dated and smelled a little musty. Couch in room stained. Wi-Fi (while free) was a bit spotty in the room. Bfast free but not very tasty.

Overall, not the nicest or newest hotel, but not too bad for a short business trip.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 11, 2011

Stayed here after my flight to New york was cancelled. There were mosquitoes in the room and no more rooms availables. There shuttle was not workig but were providing taxi service to the airport. There was a lot of confusion with who was paying for the cabs. The ceiling paint was peeling. the only good thing was the belgian waffle I was able to make for breakfast. All and all not a good place.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 22, 2010

I came to Newport News to visit family and was looking for affordable and clean hotel. The Comfort Inn delivered that and so much more. Excellent location ( sharing parking lot with Patrick Henry Mall and right off 64), plenty of choices of hot breakfast items, including waffles!
I travel quite a bit, but the room at this hotel was spotless and the front desk staff ( Josh and Nikita) were two of the friendliest people I have met.
I will be traveling to the area again in March and I will be staying with you again!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank poppysunrise
Reviewed January 13, 2010

The location of this hotel ideal, a short walk to the mall and a handful of nice surrounding restaurants, however the hotel itself is not as so pleasant. The biggest of my annoyances was the fact that the website and brochures say that guests staying at the Comfort Inn are able to use the Bally Fitness across the street since there is not a fitness room within the hotel, however this is not the case. When asking the front desk what to bring to Bally as proof of your stay at the Comfort Inn the staff told us that they were no longer in connection with the Bally, therefore no free workouts. Along with the lack of indoor pool or any hot tub this is a huge downfall. There is a hotel shuttle, but it will only take you a "select" amount of places, this does include the airport. The lobby and front desk staff are extremely pleasant, however the house maid services and rooms themselves are not. The linens leave something to be desired (dingy pillows and blankets that have seen better days). Also after asking the maid to come a little later then usual on a Monday she continued to do so the whole week, skipping our room to be the very last to be cleaned all week (didnt get cleaned until after 2:30). Another one of the male maids was caught using our q-tips and there always seemed to be a lack of towels. The hotel does have hot breakfast every morning and supposedly fresh brewed coffee all day everyday. There are plenty of other hotels in this area to choose from, they may not have as nice as a location as this Comfort Inn but are in very close range and hopefully much nicer.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank moreloc
comfortNN, General Manager at Comfort Inn Hotel Newport News, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2010

Dear Mo Reloc,
I would like to apologize for the fact Bally's Fitness cancelled their agreement with the hotel with a very short notice. We have since January 1st been trying to correct all publications containing our hotel's information to exclude Bally's from those documents. Currently we are adding a fitness center on site for all guest to utilize without having to leave the hotel.
The issues regarding houskeeping have been addressed, and proper measurement was used to ensure all guest needs are met.
We hope if you are in our area again you will give us another chaince to win your loyalty.

Reviewed February 18, 2009

I based my one night stay on the reviews and they are spot on. The lady at the desk was friendly and efficient. I was able to check in very early. My room was on the first floor right next to the elevator which worried me a little. My worries were unfounded as the noise was minimal. For the room the only thing I missed was a fan-only mode on the heating unit. I like the white noise a constantly running fan provides at night. The unit only had heat and cool settings so only ran under thermostat control. That being said I slept well and was not bothered by street noise or guest noise. As usual the kids headed straight for the pool which turned out to be very nice. The heated pool was actually that, not barely warm but bath tub warm. They must spend a fortune keeping it that temperature! It felt good but was a bit too warm to be refreshing especially after a workout. At least the transition from the hot tub to the pool was not a shocker! The workout room was small with a TV and a window looking into the pool area making it easy to keep an eye on the kids. Nice touch. The equipment seemed practically new. Breakfast was completely adequate. So with a very few minor complaints aside, this hotel is a great value as it probably should be about 1/2 to 1 star higher than it actually is due to the pleasant experience. In other words, I've spent far more money on far less hotel in my life. Good job Comfort Inn. I've found that a hotel has more to do with the owner than the name on the sign so I'm not ready to endorse all Comfort Inns. When I travel again I'll certainly look for a Comfort Inn first. If I keep having a good experience I may choose Comfort Inn as my base line place to stay.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed January 23, 2009

Do not forget anything in your room. I noticed and called back immediately and they told me 7 different stories. After waiting 6 days for them to send my stuff I was told they could not find it. I am sure I left the things there. I though they were a nice hotel. I was WRONG !!!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

The Comfort Inn follows very strict guidelines regarding lost and found items. All items that are found by staff members are turned in to be logged and secured. We try to contact owners of lost items when found in guest rooms, but for items found in public space they are logged and secured. We keep all items on property for a period of 6 month to give owners more than enough time to claim items. If owner is not found after time frame; we donate items to local charities such as GoodWill.
I apologize for the mix of information you received in calling the hotel. We are always striving to perfect clear concise information to our guest in all matters. Please feel free to contact the hotel directly and ask for the General Manager.

Thank You.