“Lovely hotel, great rooms and friendly staff”

Courtyard Newport News Airport
Ranked #8 of 38 Hotels in Newport News
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel, great rooms and friendly staff”
Reviewed March 7, 2011

The quality of the room was excellent, it was comfortably furnished, large and clean.
Lobby very nice with great amenities. I would highly recommend this hotel. In Europe this hotel would cost twice as much!

• Stayed March 2011
Scott_Krasche, General Manager at Courtyard Newport News Airport, responded to this review, March 25, 2011
Thank you for your review. We take great pride in our building and our staff. I am glad to hear that you had an enjoyable stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Virginia
Reviewed December 28, 2010

First of all, I am a Marriott Gold Elite, so I have seen LOTS of Marriotts, just to give you a frame of reference for my credibility. Check in was pleasant. The smiling desk attendant was kind as were any other staff we encountered at the hotel. So that is a plus. Upon entering the room, the first thing I do (and I recommend this to everyone) is check the bed for bed bugs because of the hysteria in the media. I did this and found that there were no bugs, but I did notice a distinct red blotch, fingernail sized, on both the top (flat sheet) and the bottom fitted sheet as well. My wife said it looked like blood, like someone might have had a slight cut or something. I asked if it could be lipstick but we both came to the conclusion that it was blood. So we called downstairs and asked for a linens change. The desk attendant apologized and sent up someone to change the linens out. This was done swiftly and professionally. And when we went downstairs later, the desk attendant (who might have also been the manager?) asked if the problem was resolved. I told him that it was. I am a very easy going guy and am not a finger pointer or anything, so I was pleased with how they handled the situation. But I would recommend that anyone who stays here request a linen change upon arrival. The reason is that there is a chance that the day room cleaners might be taking a few shortcuts. You might find that the sheets are not crisp and have a distinct "slept in" look. Or you might find that the rug looks like it wasn't vacuumed because it didn't look that bad, etc... This is more a management issue than anything, as in most Marriotts you will find that there is a feel of greater supervision over the housekeeping staff. It is admirable that they are willing to react in a professional manner to room problems, but why not focus on making sure that no room problems are present to begin with. So get on the ball and check behind your staff manager! So in conclusion: nice hotel, with very friendly staff, but rooms are a bit hit or miss with cleanliness. Location is walking distance to Johnny Carrabas, and Cheeseburgers in Paradise.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Elizabeth P, General Manager at Courtyard Newport News Airport, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Candle1,

As the new General Manager, I wanted to make sure that I respond to each and every TripAdvisor comment; no matter how old. So, please accept my apologies for the tardiness of this response.

I'm sorry that you had a bad experience in one of our guest rooms. Currently, we are inspecting each guest room for exactly what you experienced; problems with the linen.

I hope that you will try us again; a lot has changed in 3 years. We're a lot better now!

Take care and be safe in your travels.

Elizabeth A. Parker
Fort Mill, SC
Reviewed November 30, 2010

Convenient location and lobby & other amenities were well appointed; however, room was not in the best shape. The carpet was stained & looked dirty, the towel rod in bathroom was bent and the room had a slightly musty odor.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Elizabeth P, General Manager at Courtyard Newport News Airport, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Dear acmath,

Thank you for the comments about my hotel; the Courtyard Marriott Newport News Airport. We try very hard to make every hotel stay a great hotel experience.

I'm sorry that you had a bad experience in one of our guest rooms. Currently, we are inspecting each guest room for exactly what you experienced; stains on the carpet.

I hope that you will try us again...a lot has changed 3 years. We're a lot better now!

Take care and be safe in your travels,

Elizabeth A. Parker
Round Rock, Texas
Reviewed November 4, 2010

I was very impressed with this Marriot. The lobby area was just beautiful. My co-worker and I sat in the lobby to catch up on email. We were totally relaxed here and didn't feel like we were even working! The room was even better than the lobby, which is saying a lot! I absolutely loved the decor. Everything in the room was of high quality and very functional. I do have one issue with the bathroom however. I think this has more to do with the cleaning people than the hotel itself. The shower had signs of hard water buildup and maybe mildew in the grout. The bathroom is the most important room in a hotel to keep clean. It can really make or break the experience. The shower is large with bench seating and looks to be very newly renovated. Such a shame it hadn't been cleaned properly! The bed was the cherry on top of my experience. I hadn't slept that well away from home in maybe a year I think. I didn't want to get up to go out of the room! We didn't eat anything in the hotel but the food smelled good. I would recommend this hotel to anyone, as long as the cleaning crew steps it up!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
CYNewportNews, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Newport News Airport, responded to this review, November 12, 2010
My sincere apologies of the cleanliness of your bathroom, I have forwarded your experience to our Executive Housekeeper, so we can ensure that our bathrooms are cleaned up to par. I’m pleased that you and your co-worker enjoy our lobby and that you have a great night sleep in our bed. We hope that the next time you are in the area you come back and stay with us and we will ensure that our bathrooms will be up to par, Until then, safe travels!
Morro Bay, California
Reviewed September 30, 2010

What a great hotel....love the open layout of the lobby; cool computer area, nice seating areas for meetings, eating, high tech TV’s. Really nice design! Hope the Marriott redesigns the other Courtyards like this. Rarely come out of my room after settled in for the evening. I came downstairs every morning and evening to swim, eat and chat a little with the warm staff. Nice clean room with comfortable beds and free internet. "The French toast with fresh strawberries is a must"

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
CYNewportNews, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Newport News Airport, responded to this review, October 11, 2010
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our hotel was the first prototype of the new style of Courtyard by Marriott, eventually all the Courtyards will have the same design! We hope that you return the next time your in town!
maryland
Reviewed September 19, 2010

Easy to find off of I-64, although I came in from 173/143 and found it just as easily. The surrounding area is home to several strip malls, a shopping mall, and restaurants -everything you could want is close by. The lobby has a Starbucks, business area, and Internet area. Check in was swift and the clerk was very friendly and helpful. The room was fabulous, even though it was on the small side due to the king bed and multiple pieces of furniture. Two people would be comfortable, though. The bed linens were good quality and the bed, although on the firm side, was quiet comfortable. I enjoyed a very peaceful night's sleep. The bathroom was really cool. No old outdated bathtub with slow drainage here. This bathroom has a glass enclosed shower that could actually fit two people (although there's only one shower head). I found a more than ample supply of towels and washcloths, that looked nice, but were on the thin side. The room also had the cutest little "bar" area that housed the coffee maker, glasses, and the mini fridge. Flat screen TV, quiet air conditioning system that you control, clean and inviting hallways, well-lit and ample front side parking - a gem in this growing area of Newport News. I just hope that this property maintains it present-day standards in the coming years.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
CYNewportNews, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Newport News Airport, responded to this review, September 21, 2010
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for the wonderful response! We hope to see you next time when you are in the area, safe travels!
Tampa
Reviewed July 5, 2010

I am a Platinum Preferred member, so am not easily impressed. Really nicely designed and furnished hotel that is centrally located to Norfolk, Williamsburg, and Virginia Beach (depending upon I64 tunnel traffic). Staff is pleasant, drinks and food are good. Good value.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FrequentlyTravel96
CYNewportNews, General Manager at Courtyard Newport News Airport, responded to this review, July 20, 2010
Thanks for your kind words. We're delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again soon!