“Above and Beyond the Call of Duty”

Courtyard Newport News Airport
Ranked #8 of 38 Hotels in Newport News
Atlanta, Georgia
“Above and Beyond the Call of Duty”
Reviewed February 20, 2014

We recently stayed here for along weekend, during which I facilitated a Firm Retreat for a local law firm in the meeting room of this new property. The folks running this hotel exceeded expectations in almost every category. Rooms were just fine, and staff was accommodating and super friendly, without exception. But here's the kicker....I forgot to pack my I-Phone charger. When I asked the front desk if they had one in lost and found that I could borrow, they were happy to let me sift through the drawer full of left-behind chargers, but we couldn't find a compatible charger. Next thing I know, the GM of the hotel insisted on driving me to the Verizon store located nearby and waited while they tested my phone and, ultimately sold me a replacement charger. I couldn't believe it! Kudos to the management and staff at this property. I highly recommend this place you're in the area.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Elizabeth P, General Manager at Courtyard Newport News Airport, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Dear TravellingFlaGator;

Thank you so much for writing a wonderful response in TripAdvisor!

We have a really close knit team here at the Courtyard Newport News. We are ranked in the Top 15 Courtyards out of 879 Courtyards in the World that has the Best Overall Guest Service. I'm really proud of that.

It was my pleasure to take you to the Verizon Store. I'm just glad they had what you needed. If you need anything in the future, please give me a call.

Elizabeth A. Parker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

We took a last minute family weekend and glad we did. The staff was very nice attentive and hospitable. The hotel upon walking in was more then we expected, very nice looking and clean. The Bistro was a great accompaniment, prices were expected. We had breakfast there and the french toast was amazing! Kids and I both enjoyed it. The room was spacious including the bathroom. Clean bedding and all around great appeal.
My only issue was the pool area. It needs to be redone!! We all left with scrapes and abrasions. The pool lining is very harsh, bumpy and caused bleeding. My kids like to do flip turns and I was swimming did a flip turn scraped my foot and lost skin. Upon closer look there was a "ring around the pool" of scum body oil that I didn't expect in the "off season". It was disturbing but not fun stopping. The deck of the pool is exact opposite very smooth slippery and needs to be cleaned with bleach and texturized so its not so slick. It all needs to be revamped!
Overall we would stay again, the staff were amazing, good breakfast, clean spacious room, just wish they would fix the pool.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Jenny M, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard Newport News Airport, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Greetings from the Courtyard by Marriott in Newport News!

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay. We are delighted to hear that you and your family had an enjoyable weekend! And I completely agree that the French Toast is amazing!

Thank you for your comments regarding our pool and spa area. We appreciate these candid comments to help us find areas to be better and improve everyday. We are in the process of revamping the pool area this very weekend, February 21-23, 2014.

We hope you visit us again and check out the improved pool and spa area!

Thank you again for choosing the Courtyard Newport News!

Happy Travels!

Jenny Monokrousos
Assistant General Manager
Staunton, Virginia
Reviewed February 8, 2014

this is a beautiful hotel. the best part was the comfortable bed which i always believe makes or breaks a night away from home. i stayed 2 nights for business. the room was very well appointed and wifi worked great. the large tiled shower had strong water pressure and because it was a glass shower i didnt bump up against a shower curtain. the staff was friendly and warm. the location has the patrick henry mall across the street.

Elizabeth P, General Manager at Courtyard Newport News Airport, responded to this review, February 9, 2014
Dear Brenda M,

Thank you for those wonderful comments. It is so important to me and my staff to know how each of our guests feel while here at the Courtyard. Your hotel experience is really important to us.

We hope that you visit us again when in the area for business or pleasure.

Again, thank you for choosing us out of all of the other hotels in the area! We want you back!

Rancho Palos Verdes, California
Reviewed January 22, 2014

I arrived late Sunday evening, the bistro was open and I was greeted with a warm smile and someone happy to help me. What a welcome after a long day of travel. I have been here 5 days and it feels like home. ALL of the staff are warm, friendly and helpful. They should be the poster child for customer service, they get it!!!!

Vivienne is awesome, she cares and makes you feel special and taken care of.

The rooms are quiet, clean and spacious.

Room Tip: 5th floor. Mid floor away from elevator
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Elizabeth P, General Manager at Courtyard Newport News Airport, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear Shopgirl2014,

Thank you so much for writing a wonderful comment about my hotel and the great customer service my staff offers! I just love it when I read reviews like this. You have just made my day!

Please let me know when you come back to town. I would love to meet you. Vivian our supervisor in the Bistro is a jewel. Everyone loves her!

Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed December 30, 2013

It was me and my husbands anniversary, we didn't really want to deal with traffic back and forth to Williamsburg and Virginia Beach...we already drove 8 hours from South Carolina. He picked this hotel because of its location to the mall but still quiet and cozy. He contacted the Director of Sales, Scott Cox and he took care of everything. Gave us a suite with breakfast the next morning. My husband knows I'm picky but this place passed with flying colors. The colors are sooo classy. Very nice staff and they had a hot tub too! A++

Room Tip: Ask for the suite on the 3rd floor
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Elizabeth P, General Manager at Courtyard Newport News Airport, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear Kaiya K,

Thank you for the delightful comments about the Courtyard Newport News. We like to think that our hotel is classy as well. The decor is outstanding!

I'm glad that Scott Cox our Sales Manager was able to assist you in your stay. He's really good at that.

Again, thank you for selecting my hotel over all the others!

Newport News, Virginia
Reviewed December 19, 2013

The staff was nice and friendly. Deena and Susan at the front desk were very pleasant. My room was clean and they put me away from the elevator so I could get some good rest in between my flights. Also the first Courtyard I been to that had a free evening reception with free drinks!!! Yum!!! I will definitely come back.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from the elevator
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Elizabeth P, General Manager at Courtyard Newport News Airport, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Dear Nairobi C,

We are so fortunate to have two very good front desk associates; Deena and Susan. They absolutely ROCK! Glad that you had an enjoyable stay here, at the Courtyard. Its nice to know that you had a great time at our 5 o'clock whistle blow Welcome Reception on Wednesday nights. Hope you choose us again on your next trip and I'm glad you enjoyed the free Starbucks latte's!

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 17, 2013

The staff at this property were excellent - very friendly and helpful - always with a smile - great job
The hotel itself is very modern and clean and just a few minutes drive from the airport. We had some minor problems with the TV and the breakfast was a little average. Only other irritations were the air conditioning which seems fixed and did not allow you to vary the room temp from hot to cool plus the fridge was rather noisy as it was close to the bedroom. Otherwise the hotel was fine for a few days stay. Wireless is free which is also a plus.

Room Tip: Ask for room at back of hotel just a little bit quieter from main road but not a major issue as the...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Hello Anthony100!

Thank you for the wonderful comments about my hotel. I'm glad that you and your family had a delightful time in Newport News, VA. I'm going to investigate the AC problem and the refrigerator too. Thank you so much for letting us know. We can only get better if we know the things to fix.

Take care and be safe in your travels!