“Great hotel, great location, and decent price”

Courtyard Newport News Airport
Ranked #8 of 38 Hotels in Newport News
“Great hotel, great location, and decent price”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I stayed here while in town for Hampton University's Homecoming festivities. I've always loved Newport News, and this did not disappoint. Located off of Jefferson Hwy, this hotel is located practically next door to one of my favorite spots, Cracker Barrell! Check in was smooth as I prepaid on priceline. The lobby decor is beautiful with more than enough space should you want to lounge and watch TV, order from their little store/market, or partake in their breakfast. The room is spacious and reminiscent of Hyatt Place to me. My room was very clean and comfortable! I loved the glass door shower in the bathroom. The view from my room was of the courtyard which looked very pretty. Too bad we couldn't take advantage of it due to the rain. The only drawback to this hotel is that breakfast is not free. If you want, you can include it in your price on other search engines. Since it wasn't free, we went to Cracker Barrell next door. If I'm going to pay for breakfast, I might as well go to a great spot for it. Other than that, I recommend this hotel. I would come back again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Elizabeth P, General Manager at Courtyard Newport News Airport, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Good Day Ms. Javon W!

Thank you for those wonderful comments! As I read your response, I felt like I was reading a well told story. If I were reading your response, I would want to stay at this hotel for sure!

In reference to breakfast; you're not the only guest to bring to my attention about the complimentary breakfast offering. I certainly will take this into consideration.

Thank you again for your comments...we really do pay attention to what our guests have to say.

Elizabeth Parker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

My family and the wedding party stayed in this hotel. It was a good experience very clean and staff was very nice. We all enjoyed our stay. The bar/coffee shop provided us with a place to catch up and not have to goto far from our rooms, because time was always an issue.

Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Brian J
Elizabeth P, General Manager at Courtyard Newport News Airport, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear Brian J,

Thank you for writing your response. I'm glad that your family chose my hotel for the over night accommodations for the wedding party. Our lobby and Bistro area are great open areas for family gatherings or small meetings of just 3 or 4 people that may wish to review their strategy plan before the BIG presentation they may have scheduled later that day. Our design is so unique and I am very thankful that you and your family had a great time here; at the Courtyard by Marriott Newport News Airport! Come back anytime!

Harrison City, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We couldn't have been happier with the service, attitude of the staff or any other aspect of our stay. Everyone from the hotel that we came in contact with was friendly and asked if there was anything more they could do for us. When traveling in this area in the future we will definitely stay here.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Wally H
Elizabeth P, General Manager at Courtyard Newport News Airport, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear Wally H,

YAHOO!!!! Music to my ears!!! I love it when my staff does everything right! Thank you for being our guest and thank you for writing this response! We look forward to hosting you and your guest again in the near future...and I would like to personnally welcome you to my hotel!

Take care and be safe in your travels.

Yours in hospitality,

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

spent two nights. very new hotel. well thoughtful design. comfortable beds. big shower. Starbucks in lobby. mall nearby.
many restaurants nearby. we paid about $110 and thought it a bargin. what's not to like?

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Glenn S
Elizabeth P, General Manager at Courtyard Newport News Airport, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear Glenn S from Myrtle Beach, South Carolina;

Thank you for your wonderful comments about my hotel! Especially the comment about "very new hotel". This Sunday, our hotel will turn 5 years old. We have welcomed over 210,000 guests since our opening and the carpet in the lobby still looks brand new! But, the hotel would not stay this way if it were not for the dedicated staff and an awesome ownership. You're not the only one that has commented on how beautiful this hotel looks and feels to our guests. Again, thank you for taking a few minutes to share your thoughts with me and my staff. I really do appreciate it!

Thank you for being my guest and be safe in your travels!

Yours in hospitality,

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Very comfortable room, ample parking. It is about 15 minutes from Ft. Eustis. Located across from a mall and several strip malls with lots of dinner options. The showers in this hotel are above average, fully tiled with custom shower doors and bench inside a large shower.

Room Tip: Fairly quiet location overall, so there is no noisy side to this hotel.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Elizabeth P, General Manager at Courtyard Newport News Airport, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear MycaLee;

Thank you so much for giving my hotel a 5 Star Rating! That just ROCKS!!!! I'm glad that we were able to meet your needs here; at the Courtyard Marriott Newport News Airport. I hope if you visit the area again, we are the hotel that comes to mind first!

Again, thank you for choosing my hotel among all the rest!

Take care and be safe in your travels!

Yours in Hospitality,

Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I unexpectedly had to stay over one night near the Newport News Airport in early August. I called and got a room at the Courtyard by Marriott (Newport News Airport) and checked in around 9pm.

The hotel is very clean and modern-looking; I was impressed with the lobby and bar area (there was a small circular bar where you could order some foods or drinks, even late on a Thursday night). The staff were very friendly, including the older bellhop who took my bags up to my room and the young receptionist. I also liked how they had basic food available for purchase 24-hours a day (bottled drinks, yogurt, muffins) and had someone at the front desk round the clock.

The bathroom was really nice for a mid-level hotel. There was a very large glass-walled shower and plenty of towels. (Warning: There was no tub in my room -- not sure if other rooms offer them for travelers with kids, etc.) My room overall was a little on the small side but was nicely furnished with a queen bed and a sofa / coffee table and desk. It also and included a small refrigerator and flat screen TV.

The hotel staff were very knowledgeable about airport hours, etc... The hotel is very close to the airport -- I think about one mile away (no more than a five minute drive).

Overall, I was very impressed with this hotel and would highly recommend it to anyone who wants to stay near the airport.

Room Tip: Nice shower in the room but no bath tub!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Elizabeth P, General Manager at Courtyard Newport News Airport, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear Virginia Grad,

Thank you for writing a wonderful response in TripAdvisor! I'm glad that we were able to accommodate your last minute reservation need while visiting Newport News.

With all the hotels to choose from in the area, you chose the Courtyard Marriott Newport News Airport! THANK YOU!

We're proud that our hotel looks, feels and displays itself as still the "New kid on the block". I'll be sure to tell Kenneth our evening Van Driver/Bell Man and the front office staff to keep up the good work!

Again, thank you for the kind comments and I welcome you back to our hotel anytime.

Concord, New Hampshire
Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for three days and thought it was great. Had the pool and hot tub to ourselves. Hotel was emaculate..the only downfall is that you now have to pay for the coffee and breakfast which we didn't expect for a Marriott. This hotel is the perfect location to stay for shopping and dining It's only 20 minutes to Williamsburg and close to the highway. All in all a good choice for a stay.

• Stayed August 2013
Elizabeth P, General Manager at Courtyard Newport News Airport, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Thank you very much for your recent stay at the Courtyard by Marriott Newport News Airport! I greatly appreciate the time you took out of your day to send in a review to TripAdvisor. Your review is important to me and its a way of how we measure our success and improve our services.
Recently, Marriott rolled out some new initiatives for the Courtyard brand. One of those initiatives was to remove complimentary coffee service and replace it with Starbucks to be served 24 hours. The other was to remove breakfast buffets and offer a better dining experience in the Bistro that was personable. We're really sorry that you were unaware of these changes.
In closing, I'm glad you chose us out of all of the other hotels in the Hampton Roads area. As you mentioned, our location is perfect for shopping, dining and a day trip to Williamsburg.

Thank you for being my guest and be safe in your travels!

In hospitality,