“Bad services”

Ranked #5 of 38 Hotels in Newport News
Troy, Michigan
“Bad services”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

I came to this Marriot because I was on official travel and it offered the rates, at least I thought and according to the internet site. Victoria, explained to me the hotel had several government rates and rated me with a leisure rate instead of official travel. The room smell like mildew, when I was at the desk and a customer return to have a different room because his room smell of mildew. The shower leaked even with the door closed, the maid did a bad job of cleaning the room,especially with replacing the towels, brought them back 3-5 hours later. They only vacuum once out of my 9 days there and had an attitude and could not speak good English. The room was always cool as if they had no heat, I complained and they said it was fix but it was not. I did not try the food. When I complained about my bill Victoria explain to me that the General Manager(GM) would have to fix it but I did not recieve a call back until 1030pm interrupting my sleep, and it was Victoria not the GM. When I checked out I asked about my bill for adjustment the clerks said the GM would call, nearly a week later no call. My employment requires me to travel frequently, I generally stay at Marriot hotels, however this has been my worse one yet. I will not stay at this one never again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Didi' W
Elizabeth P, General Manager at Courtyard Newport News Airport, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Dear Didi'W,

As the new General Manager of the Courtyard by Marriott in Newport News, VA it is my responsibility to respond to each guest comment. Unfortunately, prior General Managers failed in this task to respond to you. Please accept our apologies for not responding to you in a timely manner.

But, I do wish to thank you for taking the time in writing a response about my hotel. From your comments, it appears that we failed in many areas. Also, as a business traveler; you being on the road for 9 days and having a leaking shower on top of no return call from the GM is really awful. Your comments are important to me. We have fixed many of the showers and I think you would be really surprized with the new staff. I hope that if you find yourself back in the Newport News area, you will be our guest again.

Elizabeth Parker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Huntington Beach, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

This is by far one of the best hotels in the area. The service is great, the front desk is wonderful, and the location is in a restful area. Don't let the name "airport" fool you. This is the best place to stay in Newport News, and the price is reasonable. I will stay here from now on!

Room Tip: Top floor on the end.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Chuck S,

But, I do wish to thank you for taking the time in writing a response about my hotel. From your comments, it seems as if you had a very enjoyable stay. That's important to me. I hope that if you find yourself back in the Newport News area, you will be our guest again.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

This Courtyard is at a great location, right off of Route 64 in Newport News, just 5 miles past Williamsburg. I stayed here because it was the Government per diem pick and we don't get a lot of choice. The staff is pretty nice but overall, I don't like the way the room is kept up. I've been here a couple of times, too. Sure wish I could get into the Embassy Suites in Hampton. They are stingy on the towels and I don't like the housekeeping because they always seem to forget something little like: forget to dump the ice bucket, throw away a soap I just opened, short-change a towel. However, the internet is good. And the little 'Starbucks' type of kiosk is okay, although a bit pricey. It is cheaper just to go to Starbucks which is right down the road. There is no view and the only exercise you can get is in their little gym, because there is nothing to walk around or view in the location.

Room Tip: King rooms only have showers
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear NeedsNEscape,

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

Nice little property. Smooth check-in, status recognition and platinum points awarded. No upgrade offered, but room was nice and spacious. Mini fridge and lodgenet (big bonuses for me)

Sundries shop was pretty empty. Lots of restaurants within a couple of minutes.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Hello Andrew C,

maschrack
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Wonderful hotel, staff and experience. Just what you expect from Marriott. Good location close to many eating, drinking and shopping establishments. I would certainly recommend to anyone. Quiet and peacful sleep no disturbances. Well appointed room.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Maschrack,

Rocky Mount, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

This is standard for Courtyards. Good location near I-64 for business or shopping. Also has convenient restaurants nearby. Large shower was great, but it had leak under the door. Would have liked a microwave in the room. Reasonably quiet, although front rooms do get some traffic noise.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Ajaj,

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

I stay here whenever I have a business trip to the Hampton/Newport News area. The location is excellent: near the on/off ramp to I-64 and surrounded by a wide variety of restaurants and shopping areas. The staff is pleasant and helpful. The rooms are clean but, with my last visit, I was disappointed with the shower stall. It was clean but had some staining that could easily be removed with bleach. I'll be staying at this hotel again in several weeks and hope to not see the same type of stain again.

• Stayed November 2012
Chirelle_Moseley, General Manager at Courtyard Newport News Airport, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear Margo G,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us your feedback from your recent visit to the Newport News Airport Courtyard. I am thrilled to hear that our staff was accomodating and that we were in a convenient location for you. However, I would like to sincerely apologize that your room was not up to our normal standards. I assure you that we are working diligently to correct this issue. Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to correct this problem and I look forward to yur return visit.

Best regards,