“Good place to stay for business”

Courtyard Newport News Airport
Ranked #6 of 38 Hotels in Newport News
“Good place to stay for business”
Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

I stay here whenever I have a business trip to the Hampton/Newport News area. The location is excellent: near the on/off ramp to I-64 and surrounded by a wide variety of restaurants and shopping areas. The staff is pleasant and helpful. The rooms are clean but, with my last visit, I was disappointed with the shower stall. It was clean but had some staining that could easily be removed with bleach. I'll be staying at this hotel again in several weeks and hope to not see the same type of stain again.

• Stayed November 2012
Chirelle_Moseley, General Manager at Courtyard Newport News Airport, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear Margo G,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us your feedback from your recent visit to the Newport News Airport Courtyard. I am thrilled to hear that our staff was accomodating and that we were in a convenient location for you. However, I would like to sincerely apologize that your room was not up to our normal standards. I assure you that we are working diligently to correct this issue. Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to correct this problem and I look forward to yur return visit.

Best regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Green Valley, Arizona
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I recently spent three days in Newport News, VA and stayed at this hotel. I was very satisfied with this hotel; it is clean, the rooms are spacious, the cranberry apple oatmeal was delicious and the van drivers are the best. I had a 6:30 flight and when I mentioned this to the driver, Bobby, he said he would come in early to make sure I got to the airport at 6:00. Because Newport News airport is small, 30 minutes are enough for somebody like me, who already had boarding passes and was not checking a bag. Kristal, the afternoon driver, dropped me off at the mall and made sure my personal belongings were waiting for me at the front desk. I will definitely stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that is not close to the elevator. Mine was, and I heard the bell everytime the e...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Laura L,

Thank you for your recent feedback regarding your stay at the Newport News Airport Courtyard. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that Bobby and Crystal were very accommodating. I have shared this review with them and they were very thankful for your compliments. I am also glad to hear that you enjoyed our oatmeal; it is quite delicious and is very popular! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and I look forward to your return visit.

Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Very clean, up-to-date hotel. Pool and hot tub clean. Like the modern bathrooms. Comfortable beds. Only downside is there were no microwaves in the rooms. This is important especially when traveling with kids.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your positive experience with the Newport News Airport Courtyard! I am glad to hear that we met your expectations. Although we do not offer microwaves in every room, there are some suites that include microwaves. In addition to this, we have a microwave available for guest use in our 24 hour Market as well as additional microwaves that can be placed in the rooms upon request. I sincerely appreciate your business and look forward to your return visit if you are in the Newport News area again!

Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the Courtyard Newport News airport 4 times prior to this stay and have been extremely satisfied each time. The public areas and rooms are very clean. I am a frequent traveler so anything less would be a "show-stopper" as far as I'm concerned. The staff is polite and helpful and the hotel's location, near I-64, makes it convenient for travel within the Hampton/Newport News area. I look forward to staying at this property several more times in the coming months.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Elizabeth P, General Manager at Courtyard Newport News Airport, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Dear Margo G,

As the new General Manager of the Courtyard by Marriott in Newport News, VA it is my responsibility to respond to each guest comment. Unfortunately, prior General Managers failed in this task to respond to you. Please accept our apologies for not responding to you in a timely manner.

But, I do wish to thank you for taking the time in writing a response about my hotel. From your comments, it seems as if you had a very enjoyable stay. That's important to me. I hope that if you find yourself back in the Newport News area, you will be our guest again.

Take care and be safe in your travels.

Elizabeth Parker
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I stayed here one night on a business trip. Conveniently located near the Newport News airport. I've stayed at the Courtyard Yorktown nearby and I find this hotel to be better. This is a new hotel, well designed. One of the problems with the Yorktown Courtyard is the loud fan/AC that made it difficult to sleep. This hotel has very quiet fan/AC equipment, allowing for a good night's sleep. I did not experience the garbage truck problem that the other reviewer mentioned.
The quality of service varies. Some of the staff seemed genuinely helpful. Others were less friendly. The restaurant especially could use more cheerful service (at least when I was there in the morning).
Overall, not a bad choice if you're coming to Newport News for a short visit.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank TomJan18
Hello TomJam18;

Take care and be safe in your travels.

Elizabeth Parker
Herndon, Virginia
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Marriott is usually reliable, so I had no qualms about booking this as it was our suggested host hotel for a sports event. As a Marriott Rewards member, I was very disappointed in this property. In fact, this is the first review I have posted as travelers should definitely explore other hotel options since there are numerous choices in the area! Certainly, the staff was not responsible for our disappointment. Tina at the front desk, Evelia, our housekeeper, and all of the other staff were friendly and helpful when they could be. It appears to be more the running of the hotel or initial design flaws that seems to be the downfall of this property. #1 - No Saturday sleeping in here....the garbage truck comes at 6:22 AM on Saturday!! Really? A weekend?? (Perhaps if you are fortunate enough to have a room on the front side of the hotel you won't be rudely awoken as we all were.) However, this was our only day to sleep in...haha, joke was on us! #2 - Our room on the 5th floor smelled damp and musty. This could have been an isolated situation, I forgot to ask other team parents if their rooms were the same. #3 - There is not a mirror outside of the bathroom. A full-length mirror is, disfunctionally, located on the back of the bathroom door, but that is it. There is not another mirror in the room if someone wants to brush their hair, put on make up, etc. while a travel companion is showering. #4 - I usually request, as part of my Marriott Rewards profile, extra feather pillows and towels. None were provided. #5 - The hotel information guide clearly states that a roll-away is available at no additional charge on a first-come, first-serve basis. We were told this was only possible in a suite and hence, we could not be accommodated and my daughter would have to sleep on the floor with extra blankets. The information guide should be changed asap, so others aren't misled. #6 - First request for extra blankets was not fulfilled. Second request was not fulfilled, either, but one blanket eventually showed up with extra sheets after a third request was made (Thank you Tina for getting it to us). Overall, this is a nice, new property with plenty of hotel-ish amenities (indoor pool, fitness room, bar, breakfast area, outside sitting area, etc.), it is just a shame it does not tow the corporate line in true guest service and allowing one to enjoy their stay. We will not be back to this property with so many other options in the area!

Room Tip: Definitely the front of the hotel to avoid the Saturday morning trash truck!!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank DEW0887
Chirelle_Moseley, General Manager at Courtyard Newport News Airport, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us this feedback regarding your recent stay. I am truly sorry to hear that your stay was less than satisfactory. It is always our goal to provide our guests the very best in accomodations and distinguishable customer service. Although you commended us on our customer service, we did not provide the accomodations that you expected. I have already shared this feedback with the staff, and I have commended the employees that were mentioned, and we are already working to improving the items that you have mentioned. Thanks again for sharing your feedback, as we value your opionion. I hope to see you again soon.

North Carolina
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Visiting the area for the USATF Regional Championship. Overall the hotel is good but to be told that there are no clean towels and no housekeeper on duty when the hotel is full....it is unacceptable! I should not have to go to Walmart at midnight to get a freaking wash cloth and towel to take a shower. Courtyard, do better!!! When your hotel is busy, please have the foresight to have someone work at night for incidentals!

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank FootballTrackMom
, General Manager at Courtyard Newport News Airport, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Good afternoon,
Thank you for taking the time to provide this valuable feedback regarding your recent visit. It is our goal to provide our guests a truly exceptional experience and I sincerely apologize that this did not happen for you. I will share this feedback with my staff and use this as a learning experience so that this does not happen again. Thank you again for your feedback and I hope that you will consider visiting us again if your travels bring you to Newport News.