“Steer clear unless you enjoy unpleasant surprises”

Residence Inn Newport News Airport
Ranked #6 of 39 Hotels in Newport News
Reviewed January 3, 2014

I have never stayed at any Marriott property where it was not immaculate, comfortable and you could rest assured that things were clean. This property did not live up to my ideals for Marriott. Tub drains, sink drains were so slow you could grow a beard waiting for the water to recede. There was hair evident in the shower. The coup de grace were the filthy sheets with hair everywhere at 12:15 AM as we had hoped to crawl into bed. That toasted it and we called the desk for fresh sheets and informed them we would be checking out in the morning cutting short a two night stay.

In the interest of brevity I can only say this property needs help in housekeeping. If Mr. Marriott had stayed here this night, it would have lost that name immediately.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank William I
phfnn, General Manager at Residence Inn Newport News Airport, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

Hello William I,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us and I am very sorry that we did not meet your expectations during you stay and also that you had to leave us due to this issue. Again I know we have been speaking through customer care with Diane and Im glad that we could get this resloved for you and again I am very sorry and we can assure you that we are doing everything to improve and to make sure that this does not happen to another guest. We have a great hotel, great staff so there was no reason for this to happen at all during your stay. I hope if you are in the area again you will call me so that you can give us another chance.

There are newer reviews for Residence Inn Newport News Airport

Reviewed January 3, 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel over the holidays and had amazing time. Breakfast was above and beyond, rooms were so spacious I was pleasantly surprised to have a full kitchen and fireplace. Staff was friendly, easy check in, housekeeping was on point. I will for sure visit this hotel again!!

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank OneStep0302
phfnn, General Manager at Residence Inn Newport News Airport, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

We appreciate your comments in regards to your recent visit during the Holidays and glad that your expectations were met. I too love the Fireplace rooms, it just gives that added touch of being at home especially this time of year. We look forward to you staying with us again in the near future.

Rebecca Jones

Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed here during the Christmas Holiday and I can say it was the best hotel we have ever stayed at. Lobby was festive and all the staff was very friendly and always making sure we had everything we needed. Room was very clean and the housekeeper who cleaned are room always left extra ammenities and she always had a smile on her face. I cant wait to come back to this hotel soon.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank eagels67
phfnn, General Manager at Residence Inn Newport News Airport, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2014

Hello Eagles 67,

We really do appreciate your comments! They really mean a lot to our staff, and we are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We love to hear feed back from our guest so we can always provide the exceptional service! Thank you

Reviewed December 30, 2013

We stay at Residence Inns all the time - but this particular property had numerous deficiencies, as follows:
- room was not clean
- sheets were stained
- floor had stains
- coffee mugs were dirty in the cabinet
- cross-contamination with housekeeping. I asked the housekeeping lady for additional towels. She pulled several dirty sheets off the top of her cart where she had the clean towels under.
- they were out of most breakfast items

I've added photos of the cleaning issues with our room to this review.

Room Tip: Bring your antibacterial wipes for this place.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank bryan5150
phfnn, General Manager at Residence Inn Newport News Airport, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2014

Hello bryan5150,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I am very sorry that this happened during your stay with us. I would like for you to contact me regarding all the items you have mentioned as I was not aware so we could discuss further. We take customer satisfaction very serious and we strive very hard to make sure that the Residence Inn is every guest home away from home while they are here. I have also shared your comments with my housekeeping staff. My information is below so that you can contact me.

Rebecca Jones
757-842-6214
rebecca.jones@shaminhotels.com

Reviewed November 13, 2013

My wife and I had a 2 days stay at this property recently and have nothing but praise . Front desk staff really made us feel welcome upon arrival and even though we arrived at hotel very early our room was ready for us. The suites are all spacious, clean and have all the amenities you would want. The complimentary hot breakfast buffet was more than adequate and the guest computor was a nice plus, since I had left my laptop at home. I would not hesitate to recommend the Residence Inn to anybody,especially families.

Room Tip: they are all great
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank countryy
phfnn, General Manager at Residence Inn Newport News Airport, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

Hello Countryy,

Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback it really means a lot to the entire team! We want to make sure that every guest feels welcome and to also feel that this is thier home away from home. We hope to see you again in the near future! Thank you

Reviewed November 10, 2013

We really enjoyed our one-night stay at this hotel. We had a King studio suite which was very clean and spacious, with a nice room layout. The bed and pillows were supremely comfortable. It was very quiet -- no noise from outside or the hallway. The heat/AC was also quiet and had a digital control that worked very well. The TV can swivel so that you can watch easily from the living room area or bed. The free breakfast was delicious with plenty of variety. The lobby and breakfast area were quite spacious and comfortable too. The location is a convenient drive to the Newport News Shipyards and had many restaurants and stores of all types nearby.

My one complaint is the bathroom layout, but this is standard at Residence Inns so not the fault of this particular hotel. The sink and vanity are in an open area between the bathroom and bedroom, so if one person is using them while the other is asleep, it can wake the sleeping person up. Also not great for privacy. I wish Residence Inns would change this because it's the only thing I dislike about their hotels.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
phfnn, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Newport News Airport, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Greetings!

Thank you for your wonderful review it really means a lot too all of us here at the Residence Inn. Maybe the next time you are in the area you can stay longer with us, I also agree with the bathroom/vanity area and I will be sure to mention this at our upcoming meetings. We hope to see you soon!

Danacey Harvey
Guest Care Manager

Reviewed October 30, 2013

I constantly stay at the Residence Inn in Newport News when I visit my family. Everything is always up to par. The staff truly go above and beyond! Kudos to the front desk because they make I don't go without. I always have my room, plus extras if needed. The ladies in the kitchen are fantastic! Housekeeping always speaks, even the guys. Which is slim to none as a possibility at any other hotel. I recommend this extended to any and everyone that comes to Newport News, whether business or pleasure. They are something to look forward to, and really treat everyone like family. I wouldn't have it any other way! thanks again for taking care of me guys!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
phfnn, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Newport News Airport, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

Greetings!! Thank you so much for your wonderful review, it really means a lot to our staff. We try to make sure everyone feels this is thier home away from home. We hope to see you again real soon so that we can meet your expectations again! Thank you

Danacey Harvey