“Great Family Hotel”

Ranked #7 of 38 Hotels in Newport News
Pocono'Mtn, Pa.
“Great Family Hotel”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

My wife and I had a 2 days stay at this property recently and have nothing but praise . Front desk staff really made us feel welcome upon arrival and even though we arrived at hotel very early our room was ready for us. The suites are all spacious, clean and have all the amenities you would want. The complimentary hot breakfast buffet was more than adequate and the guest computor was a nice plus, since I had left my laptop at home. I would not hesitate to recommend the Residence Inn to anybody,especially families.

Room Tip: they are all great
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank countryy
phfnn, General Manager at Residence Inn Newport News Airport, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Hello Countryy,

Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback it really means a lot to the entire team! We want to make sure that every guest feels welcome and to also feel that this is thier home away from home. We hope to see you again in the near future! Thank you

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Alexandria, VA
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We really enjoyed our one-night stay at this hotel. We had a King studio suite which was very clean and spacious, with a nice room layout. The bed and pillows were supremely comfortable. It was very quiet -- no noise from outside or the hallway. The heat/AC was also quiet and had a digital control that worked very well. The TV can swivel so that you can watch easily from the living room area or bed. The free breakfast was delicious with plenty of variety. The lobby and breakfast area were quite spacious and comfortable too. The location is a convenient drive to the Newport News Shipyards and had many restaurants and stores of all types nearby.

My one complaint is the bathroom layout, but this is standard at Residence Inns so not the fault of this particular hotel. The sink and vanity are in an open area between the bathroom and bedroom, so if one person is using them while the other is asleep, it can wake the sleeping person up. Also not great for privacy. I wish Residence Inns would change this because it's the only thing I dislike about their hotels.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
phfnn, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Newport News Airport, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Greetings!

Thank you for your wonderful review it really means a lot too all of us here at the Residence Inn. Maybe the next time you are in the area you can stay longer with us, I also agree with the bathroom/vanity area and I will be sure to mention this at our upcoming meetings. We hope to see you soon!

Danacey Harvey
Guest Care Manager
Flint, Michigan
Reviewed October 30, 2013

I constantly stay at the Residence Inn in Newport News when I visit my family. Everything is always up to par. The staff truly go above and beyond! Kudos to the front desk because they make I don't go without. I always have my room, plus extras if needed. The ladies in the kitchen are fantastic! Housekeeping always speaks, even the guys. Which is slim to none as a possibility at any other hotel. I recommend this extended to any and everyone that comes to Newport News, whether business or pleasure. They are something to look forward to, and really treat everyone like family. I wouldn't have it any other way! thanks again for taking care of me guys!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
phfnn, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Newport News Airport, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Greetings!! Thank you so much for your wonderful review, it really means a lot to our staff. We try to make sure everyone feels this is thier home away from home. We hope to see you again real soon so that we can meet your expectations again! Thank you

Danacey Harvey
Front Office Manager
Lynchburg, Virginia
Reviewed October 28, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel and I have we have nothing but great things to say about it. When we walked through the front door we were greeted with a friendly smile, I think her name was Danceya and she even gave us a free upgrade! Everyone was very pleasant and the ladies in the kitchen were just lovely making sure we had everything we needed. Rooms were very clean and large. I was very surprised they were so nice. I will be back again soon.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
phfnn, General Manager at Residence Inn Newport News Airport, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Thank you Brenda for your comments, We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and they really mean a lot to us. We look forward to seeing you and your family again soon!
Aldie, Virginia
Reviewed October 15, 2013

This is our 2nd time staying at the Residence Inn in Newport News. Everything was great. The front desk staff was very polite, friendly and helpful. I didn't get her name, but when we checked in, the young lady who was working told us about all of the restaurants we could visit for dinner since we weren't sure where to go. She also gave us directions to Target.

We had a 2 bedroom suite. The rooms are spacious and very clean. More than enough space for the 3 of us. We like having the 2 bathrooms so showering and getting dressed in the morning is easier and not cramped. The breakfast in the morning is included with the stay. The morning we were there, they had scrambled eggs, turkey sausage hash, red skinned potatoes, turkey Canadian bacon, cook yourself waffles, assorted cold cereals and breads/muffins and oatmeal. The ladies who work in this area are so friendly and helpful. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
phfnn, General Manager at Residence Inn Newport News Airport, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Hello ScoobyVA,

We are so excited that you decided to come back and visit us again here in Newport News. My whole staff is glad you and your family enjoyed it once again and that we were able to meet your expectations. I have a great staff and we try to make everyone feel that this is their home away from home. Thank you!
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We liked our stay at the hotel for the kids enjoyed the pool and the staff was courteous. Breakfast was average, but just not quite as good as most Resident Inns. Frozen items like sausage and potatoes could have been more appetizing but the kids ate it anyway. For example they had potatoes but they did not mix them with peppers for flavor as you find in most Resident Inns the bread selection was inadequate. Perhaps as this was a Sunday the ran out of food.

The room we stayed #426 was ok but the sofa bed mattress should have been discarded months or years ago. The springs were shot and to make matters worse one was broken and sticking out of the corner of the mattress where I preceded to run against it and stick a whole in my leg. Fortunately we stopped the bleeding and put a bandage on it and a doctor visit was not necessary.

Room Tip: Don't count on a good sleep if a sofa bed is required and be aware of the mattress in # 426
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
phfnn, General Manager at Residence Inn Newport News Airport, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Hello Nenate,

Thank you so much for sharing your comments regarding your recent visit with us. We are very sorry to hear about the sofa mattress in your room and I have taken care of that so this does not happen to another guest. We certainly do not want anyone to get hurt on that and again I am very sorry that happened during your stay. We appreciate your comments regarding staff service and I have also spoken to my staff to ensure that we are only putting out Reisdence Inn breakfast standards. Some mornings do require that we put onions and peppers in the potatoes and some mornings do not but I will make sure they are following all the correct standards. I hope if you are in the area again you give us another try.
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Reviewed August 31, 2013

This is the second time I stayed at this hotel with my family while on a business trip. We had an equally great visit this time as well. The hotel is excellent for families, with a good breakfast buffet and 2-3 evenings a week (typically Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday) a "manager's special" 6:00-7:30pm, with either pulled pork sandwiches, chicken salad, nachos, and salads and drinks.

We got two-room suite, with two bathrooms plus bath/shower, and a kitchen-living room area between. We thus had 3 large flat screen TVs, and our kids could watch their own shows without arguing. The kitchen is decently equipped with a few pots a pan, dishes, cups, glasses and cutlery, and offers a full-sized fridge. We cooked and ate there often, both lunch and dinner.

The hotel has a good sized pool, a BBQ area outside (the hotel staff will light it for you) and a super nice basket ball court, with two baskets/hoops with nets (the front desk provides the basketball). While I was at work my wife had not trouble keeping the kids occupied and entertained and this included them using the business computers -- although she had them come off as soon as someone else needed to use the computers. The reception-lounge area is very nice, with several large TVs, including a couple in more secluded spots.

The staff is plainly great both at the front desk and at breakfast. They are especially good to kids.

If you're in Newport News and bring your family along you can't go wrong at the Residence Inn.

Room Tip: We stayed on the third floor. The ground floor has considerable traffic.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank tzikat
Hello Regina!

It was a pleasure having you and your family stay with us again and glad that you enjoyed the hotel once again. We appreciate your response and I have shared it with all my staff. They really look forward to seeing reviews so that we can always look for ways to improve and make every guest feel that this is their home away from home. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Thank you so much!