“Very Nice Room”

Residence Inn Newport News Airport
Ranked #7 of 40 Hotels in Newport News
Reviewed April 2, 2013

The room we have is a King suite with a sitting room and a fire place. I love the room and I love Residence Inn, BUT, we didn't have towels in our room, and the furniture is a bit used up. The pool was very cold (I was told it was 81 but it felt much colder, maybe because the air conditioning is on in the pool area. I love the Residence Inn chain and use this brand when we travel. I do wish the furniture was in better shape and the bed didn't have a big dip in the middle. Overall, I am happy with the room.

Room Tip: Try to get a corner room so you can open the windows and get a cross breeze.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for two night when we were visiting the College of W&M and Busch Gardens. This was a great hotel, the rooms are perfect for a family. The full kitchen is great and the living room with sofa bed and TV came in handy.

I have to give a special thank you to a special employee that tracked me down to let me know I left my purse in the lobby by the communal computers. I was so thankful they people are still honest and do the right thing. Hope my daughter chooses W&M so we can stay here more often. :)

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 26, 2013

We (me, husband and daughter) stayed here this past weekend in a 2 bedroom suite. It doesn't seem like we'd need a 2 bedroom suite, but as my daughter got older we decided to give her her own space and privacy when we travel and it works out perfectly. The 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms provide everyone with privacy and nobody really has to wait on a shower in the morning. The suite was the perfect size for us. The kitchen and living room were an extra bonus. Don't worry about the noise from the airport. I think we heard 2 planes overhead and that's when we were outside in the parking lot. No noise in the room. If a bouncing basketball might bother you, ask for a room away from the outdoor court.

We had breakfast in the hotel on 1 morning, and it was really good. The staff was friendly and helpful, the food was tasty and everything was clean. It was a good variety of breakfast foods like eggs, waffles, sausage, potatoes, pastries, oatmeal, cold cereals, etc. Something for everyone.

I'm picky about the hotels we stay in. I want them to be as clean if not cleaner than our home is. This hotel was very clean from the lobby to the dining area to the halls to the rooms. My daughter is looking at colleges in the area. If she attends nearby, this will become our home away from home when we visit her.

Thanks for the great stay, Residence Inn Newport News Airport!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the basketball court if the noise might bother you.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Stayed here over the Labor Day weekend Sept. 2012. We were visiting Busch Gardens and decided to drive the extra minutes to get away from the hustle & bustle of Williamsburg. Friendly staff, clean room, comfortable beds. My son enjoyed the pool. Breakfast was the standard, complimentary RI breakfast. Restaurants a short drive away. Would definitely stay here when in the area again!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank MuppetWrangler
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I know a little late for this review, but I was shocked with some of these reviews. Now I usually stay at all the hot spots but for Newport News...this was perfect; I had a kitchen, fireplace, and comfortable bed. Shopping (grocery and mall) all nearby. Above all, service was perfect! Thanks to Danacey Harvey :) she made sure we were taken care of...this review is long overdue especially with Ms. Harvey making sure a room was ready to go with me running in for a business trip and having to deal with a hectic schedule. I will be staying here when I come back in town!

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Layla200
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I arrived on a Sunday afternoon. The room that I was assigned did not have the full distribution of bath towels (only one full size towel was available). I called the desk and they did respond quickly. The location of the motel does not bode well for food deliveries - it is not exactly in the delivery zones for Pizza Hut or Dominoes. The room is average, furniture is showing signs of wear and overuse. Beds used to be more comfortable but are disappointing for a Residence Inn.

Room Tip: Rooms on the east side are close to the airport and are noisy.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 2, 2013

We booked a 1 bedroom suite with 2 queen beds. The bedroom was very spacious, but it definitely took a bit out of the living area, at least from what I've experienced in other RI's. We're usually in a 1 bedroom with a king, where the bedroom area is smaller. Anyway, I digress! We brought our dog with us, and I assume we were put in a room where they put people with pets, since the carpet was quite stained. It didn't really bother me, since like I said we had our dog. If anything it was a relief knowing that if an accident happened it wouldn't be the end of the world! For those traveling with animals, they have a nice area out back to let them play and do their business. The beds were very comfy and very soft. If you aren't a fan of soft beds, these will probably not be ideal.

The pool was nice. Definitely wish there had been a hot tub. The pool room, though, was freezing cold! Granted, it was cold outside while we were there, even snowed a little, but wow! I asked an employee at one point if it was always that cold, and she acted like she had no idea what I meant. The water was nice, but the air temp definitely needed at least 10 degrees to make it even comfortable.

There are plenty of restaurants near the hotel. Some are a little further if you go to the mall, but still easily reachable. Breakfast was great each day. Especially enjoyed the french toast!

I'll end this by saying that the employees here honestly made our trip just so much better. Everyone we ran into would smile and say hi. A few of them would see us taking our dog out and chat with us about him. The front desk clerks were so helpful, especially the lady who was there at our check in. I was often alone with my two kids and dog as my husband was working at Langley, and having the employees be so helpful was amazing. A sincere thanks to everyone working here!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family