Residence Inn Newport News Airport
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$82
ComfortSuites
$85
$80
HIExpress.com
Jameson Inn & Suites(Newport News)
$60
Country Inn
$107
Hampton.com
$159
Mulberry Inn and Plaza at Fort Eustis(Newport News)(Great Value!)
$72
$50
Travelocity
$119
$109
$98
All reviewstwo bedroom suitefront deskrole modelcommunication skillswelcoming smilecomplete breakfasthot cakesprofessional behaviorlarge sausageoutdoor basketball courtmarriott websitefull kitchenwafflesthe kitchen staffcranberry juicemy home away from homeguest services
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 28, 2013

The hotel is only about a couple of miles from Newport News/Williamsburg airport. The Patrick Henry mall and shopping district is very close to the hotel on the other side of the street. There are plenty of eating places near by.

The staff at this hotel for the most part were very friendly and polite. I would especially like to call out the friendliness of Ruby in the breakfast food serving area. She was very helpful with guest and assisted me with the waffle maker when we noticed the timer was not set correctly to cook the waffles. She also knew several guest by name and said good morning to all who came through.

The only down fall would have been my last night there, the house cleaning staff never replaced the used towels, face cloths, hand cloths or bathroom floor towel after taking the used ones away. I am hoping this was just a simple oversize on their behalf on the 5th floor.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
phfnn, General Manager at Residence Inn Newport News Airport, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Thank you for sharing your review with us. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and we all love Ruby!! She does her best to remember as many guest names as she can. I will speak with housekeeping regarding your linen and I'm very sorry but I'm glad you brought that to our attention so that this does not happen to another guest. Thank you!

Reviewed December 28, 2012

We booked a "Larger One Bedroom King bed Suite" What we were given was a "Corner Suite" which has one queen size bed, a fireplace and very little floor space. The front desk did not notify use that the room was going to have a smaller bed. This room does not have space for a cot so my youngest slept on the floor using blankets we had in the car, my oldest on the full size (not a queen) pull out using the only blanket in the closet, and my husband and I attempted to sleep on the bed. There were only 3 glasses in the cabinet and 3 towels for 4 people. I called the front desk and the front desk clerk brought us 2 more towels. I didn't realize the bed size issue until we were undressed and trying to sleep.

The next morning I attempted to find someone at the front desk to ask about getting either a refund or moving us to another room. I waited 20 minutes but no one came to the desk. I couldn't continue to wait so we left for our planned activities. That night we returned to the room to discover that the room had not been cleaned. No beds made, and trash still in cans. It's not liked we trashed the room but we did have to move a lot of furniture to accommodate the kids. The beds were not made either. Good thing we didn't actually need fresh towels or want more blankets.

The next morning housekeeping showed up as we were getting ready to head out. When I let her in she immediately asked if someone was in the bathroom. I said yes so she grabbed the kitchen trash and left. Did not vacuum, dust, or even ask if we needed anything like towels. We left shortly after she was finished and passed her cart in the hall. She didn't have any towels or anything else on it. Unless the vacuum was in that room with her then she didn't have one of those either. It's safe to assume that taking out the trash is the limit of what housekeeping is capable of.

When we returned to our room that night it stank of mold. My eyes started to burn and my head immediately started to hurt. I called the front desk. He offered to move us so I asked if they had a room that met our reservation requirements. The best he could do was a "Larger Room". There were no one bedroom suites available but he could make a note of the problem and have maintenance come by the next day. He then hung up on me.

I wrote to Marriott Corporate to complain about the issues above. I received an email that the manager would contact me in the next 24 to 48 hours. This was our last day. When we returned to the hotel there were no messages. Housekeeping had come by and made the beds. They also took all the towels, leaving us 3 towels for 4 people. The next morning we did not receive the bill under our door. We went to the front desk to check out.

The manager argued that King size beds in hotels are smaller than King size beds you see in the store. She insisted that we had a king size bed. She wouldn't even refund the difference in cost between the Larger 1 bedroom suite we were supposed to get and the smaller Corner suite that we were stuck in. She refused to acknowledge that there were any other problems with the room. She also refused to compensate us in any fashion for the problems we had. I followed up with Marriott Corporate but have not heard back from them.

Room Tip: Demand that you get get the room you reserved. They like to bait and switch here.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
phfnn, General Manager at Residence Inn Newport News Airport, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

We are extremley sorry that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us. I would like to apologize that you did not get the service that you should of recieved from us. I have spoken to my housekeeping department in regards to your service and we have made immediate changes so that this does not happen to another guest. In regards to the bed size in your room, it did measure out to be a standard hotel king size bed which is 80 inches long and 72 inches wide. We also compared this to the other king size beds in the hotel. The corner suite that you were in was one of the largest one bedroom suites that we have on property. Im very sorry that we did not meet your expectations and have refunded your Marriott rewards account some points for your stay. If you have any further questions please feel free to contact me anytime. Thank you

Reviewed November 26, 2012

I was going to move my hotel stay when my shower wasnt working but they went above and beyond to fix the problems I encountered...They took the time to remember my sons and my name...If you dont know what to do just ask the anyone from housekeeping to the front desk and they will assist you...they never made me feel as though I was asking to many questions or my son was a bother as he ran around with the other kids he saw in the lobby...This place is family oriented and as my title states you cant buy hospitality!!!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Wow! Thank you so much for your wonderful review. We are so glad you and your family enjoyed your stay. We strive very hard to make every guest feel that this is their home away from home. We hope if you are ever in the area again you will come stay with us. It was a pleasure having you here and love children!

Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

We've been staying here over the past 4 years when we visit relatives a couple times each year. The rooms are starting to show there age. The person at the front desk was not very helpful, which is unusual. The head of housekeeping, Denise was exceptional.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Queenwondergirl

Thank you for your review, I would like to say thank you for staying with us over the past four years that really means a alot. We are currently having our furntiture replaced that is worn. Im very sorry and apologize that you had to experience that during your stay with us.We hope to see you again in your future travels. Thank you

Reviewed November 8, 2012

I'm a bit tough on hotels but this one is outstanding. This was much more like a 4-star hotel without the restaurant. It is nearly new and very convenient to the airport and shopping. The hotel is so well built that I didn't even hear planes landing and taking off. You get a gorgeous suite with stainless steel appliances and granite countertops. The beds are great. The breakfast uses real scrambled eggs, not the premade ones and the meat is restaurant quality. The A/C is dead silent. I can't say enough about this hotel. It tops the 3-star hotels I have stayed in anywhere and I travel a lot.

Room Tip: Others may have a higher review rating because someone liked a person there but it would be unlikely the facilities compare in this price range.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank TrueReviewer

Thank you so much for your review! We are extremely pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that we met your expectations. I have shared your comments with my staff and you have made thier day, it really means a lot knowing that your stay was a great one!