“I'll be back!!!”

Residence Inn Newport News Airport
Ranked #7 of 39 Hotels in Newport News
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We have stayed at the Marriott (right next door) which is very nice, but the Residence will be my go to hotel from now on. We were traveling with our 2 teenage boys and our dog. We stayed in the king suite with the separate living room. It was so spacious and the decor is modern. I was a lttle disappointed that the furniture was a little beat up, but nothing we couldn't look pass. It was clean and our dog was very happy there, even while we were out and had to leave him alone. The breakfast is wonderful and the kitchen staff are soooo friendly. The workout room is clean and the machines look brand new, hubby got 5 miles in on the treadmill. The kids enjoyed the basketball court and I took the dog on a long walk around the area. Only complaint? We called down for extra towels and never recieved them. I finally went down to the front desk and they told me they out of towels.....really? They told me I would have some within 30 minutes and I did.

GREAT PLACE!!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank C_villeChar

Reviewed August 27, 2012

I had a great time staying at this hotel. Everyone of the Staff was so friendly, helpful and pleasant. My suite was so beautiful and just like home for a week. When I needed something the staff was right there with extra towels, information on area attractions and where to find all the great restaurants. I plan on staying at this hotel next year too... And when I wanted to stay in I had everything I needed.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
phfnn, General Manager at Residence Inn Newport News Airport, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and it was a pleasure getting to know you.
I posted your comments so my enitre staff can read them. We really loved having you stay with us during your vacation and we hope to see you next year!!!!

Reviewed August 19, 2012

For rates, quality of rooms, and service ... you cannot beat this hotel! The room was beautiful and perfect for some evenings when we wanted to stay in and cook ourselves. Also, a grill was provided on the outdoor patio so we grilled steaks one night. The staff was always pleasant, very helpful and so professional. We will definitely come back here! Kudos to this team of professionals for having such a great hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your wonderful review! We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and my staff really looks forward to seeing these reviews and also so that we can provide even better service to everyone! Thank you

Reviewed August 19, 2012

Stayed on a Saturday night after a day at Busch Gardens. We had asked for extra towels at arrival, but were never provided them. Ask for more at desk in the morning and was told they were doing laundry but that they would "take care of me" ... we never saw the towels. Asked for ice for the cooler, but was told to use the ice maker in the refrigerator as there was NO ICE MACHINE anywhere in the hotel ... seriously! Bed was very comfy, so that was a plus. Would prefer to have an extra (thicker) blanket for sofa bed. Breakfast was OK - your usual run-of-the-mill hotel breakfast (pre-cooked sausage, runny scrambled eggs, undercooked potatoes and a waffle maker). Thank goodness we were using reward points as I would have been disappointed to have paid for this. It may sound like little things, but when you are there less than 12 hours, the little things mean a lot.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for sharing your comments with us regarding your recent visit. I am very sorry that you never received your towels as promised and I have spoken to my staff so that this does not happen again to another guest. Providing us with feedback like yours helps us provide better service for our guest and I thank you so much!

Reviewed August 12, 2012

Pros: Great location with many restaurants, grocery stores, and shopping. Good breakfast selection and breakfast staff was very nice and helpful. Monday and Tuesday nights they offer complimentary dinner (for us Monday was make your own meatball subs and Tuesday was bbq chicken). If you didn't bring cookware they provide a pot and pan for cooking, they also have cooking utensils, silverware, a few plates and dishwasher soap. This hotel is located right next to the Courtyard Marriott so what the Residence Inn doesn't have, the Courtyard does (for the most part). The hotel is quiet, we had a room right next to the elevator and we didn't hear a thing at night.

Cons: Not enough front desk staff. The first night was arrived the comforter on our bed had a big stain on it so we called the front desk, apparently once the cleaning crew leaves the front desk staff can't access the linens so we were told that we would have to go without a comforter for the night. We asked if there was a blanket available and the gentleman at the front desk said he could get one but we would have to wait because he was the only one downstairs. He came up about 20 minutes later with the blanket. There are many guests at night that have questions or need items and it's very hard for one person to handle all of the requests. There should be another person there to help out. Most of the time the front desk had no staff and if we had a question we had to wait for a staff member to come out of the back.

They have 2 computers for the guests to use. Only 1 is connected to a printer so you have to wait for that computer to free up if you want to print directions. The printer ran out of paper so I had to go to the front desk and wait for someone to come out to get paper.

Our keys repeatedly would not work in the door so we had to go to the front desk and have them reactivated...again extended waiting due to lack of staff at front desk.

Overall just understaffed. The cons could easily be fixed with a few more attentive front desk staff.

Additional notes: They don't have a hot tub which is ok because right next door is the Courtyard Marriott that guests at the Residence Inn can use. After breakfast is done at 9am they take away the coffee..there is a Starbucks in the Courtyard next door but it closes at 10am. If you miss coffee at both places there is a Starbuck's down Jefferson street on the way to the parks.

We have stayed at many Marriott brand hotels and enjoyed them. This was our first time at a Residence Inn and I'm not sure I would book there again. The staff across the street at the Courtyard was very attentive and someone was always at the front desk to let us into their pool or answer questions.

1  Thank Jdiluci2
Reviewed August 9, 2012

We stayed here on business/family and the hotel was what we expect from Residence Inn. I found it clean and welcoming. The staff was friendly (when around, one one occasion there was a sign at the front desk stating that they would be back later) and the free food was typical. I would definitely stay here again.

1  Thank Mark V
Reviewed July 25, 2012

The hotel was nice and modern. They accomodated our request to change out check in date and even upgraded our room at no charge. The room was clean eventhough not to my standards. The oven was dirty from the last guests and I guess housekeeping didn't notice. We fixed the tray in the fridge which was inserted backwards and a lamp was broken but replaced ASAP. The beds are too soft though. There was not enough personnel at the front desk when we complained that the pool was overrun by a dozen unsupervised tweens. But overall a good place for a large family with children. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
phfnn, General Manager at Residence Inn Newport News Airport, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2012

Thank you for you review about your recent stay with us. I have shared your comments with my staff about the room not being cleaned properly and I can assure you this will not happen again. Overall Im glad you did enjoy your stay and I hope you will give us another chance if you are in the area again. Thank you