“Fantastic hotel with design flair”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Le Savoy

Hotel Le Savoy
Ranked #2 of 33 Hotels in Meribel
Seattle
“Fantastic hotel with design flair”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

This hotel is excellent. We were made to feel welcome from the moment our bags were picked up at the front door. The service was excellent and almost everybody speaks English so it is hard to practice your French.

We had the slightly bigger room, which definitely seems worth it when you have lots of ski gear. The rooms are small but well designed with shelves as you walk in for you gloves and helmets and lots of hooks fro all your ski outerwear. The walls are neutral colours but there is a splash of colour with pillows and the chairs. The beds are a little hard, but when we asked we got some softer pillows. The bathroom is a one person affair with bath/shower and nice basin, and there is a separate toilet.

The bar is lovey for coffee in the morning and great afternoon tea and then drinks in the evening. The stairs up to the dining room lead you into a wonderful space where big groups and smaller intimate tables are accommodated. The service here is fantastic and the food even better.

Downstairs is a ski room with card key access to the outside so you can get straight onto the ski slope.

We expect this place will get popular, but we hope they will have a room for us again next year.

Room Tip: Worth having the upgrade to a bigger room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pieterkn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Welwyn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

We also stayed in this hotel over the New Year 2012/2013 and obviously had a very different experience as the hotel staff were very friendly and could not do enough to help us. Yes, at times the service in the bar was a bit slow and reactive rather than proactive but that would be my only minor complaint. The hotel is well positioned for the town and the slopes and the decor and the food was great. It is quite a young team working in the hotel and everyone we came into contact with was friendly and helpful - particularly the maitre d and her team. We also stayed in room 60 and there was occasional banging from the kitchens which were next door but no worse than being in an hotel where you hear other guests coming and going and certainly not enough to disturb sleep either at night or during that much needed après ski snooze! I bought food (crisps, coke, chocolate etc from a local supermarket and no comment was made as I walked past reception with the bags? It is a beautifully decorated hotel with delicious food and good choice of options for breakfast. The lunch menu is good and reasonably priced - the burgers and club sandwiches in particular were really good. We stayed with our teenaged sons who really enjoyed Meribel and the hotel. What more can I say - except we would stay again at the hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank EnglandMember
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

My partner and i stayed in this hotel over new year 2012/2013 paying €350 a night. The location was good, a very short walk to the lifts. The decor was beautiful, very contemporary. The food was also good although expensive. However, when it came to paying the bill I questioned one room service price which said we had ordered 2 desserts (they were €10 each). We only ordered 1. The receptionist went to check with the kitchen and returned to say we had definitely ordered two. I questioned it again, I knew we had ordered one because I don't eat chocolate, and it was a chocolate dessert! Immediately two staff members appeared from nowhere saying loudley that they could remember us ordering two and that we had to pay. Not liking to make a scene I said ok and payed the bill, feeling shouted down and quite upset at the way I had been spoken to. While packing the car with the help from one of the staff members, I decided to say something. I said that the issue was dealt with badly and that I had felt upset with how I had been spoken too. His response was shocking. Referring to a take-away pizza we had taken to our room the night before, he said "in any French hotel you are not allowed to bring food from outside the hotel into your room and I turned a blind eye!" I was so confused, he was probably right about the takeaway pizza - I hadn't thought twice about it,, but what on earth had this got to do with how the dessert issue had been handled? I asked him. the response was the same, pretty much "you have no right to complain because i turned a blind eye." Having a takeaway pizza is not exactley the crime of the centuary and this was certainly not the response I had expected. His attitude coupled with the fact that this was all over a €10 dessert actually made me cry! Of course he was not bothered at all. I am just so shocked at this incident, in a hotel that costs €350 a night, reducing a customer to tears over a €10 dessert. An appalling way to end a holiday.

• Stayed December 2012
10 Thank Langford9
Caroline C, Directeur général at Hotel Le Savoy, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Valuable guest,

I thank you for taking your time and send us your feedback after your recent stay with us.
I truly regret the inconvenience you went through.

Indeed, at your check-out, you told the reception that one of the room service was false.
So, we decided to check the room service ticket. When the waiter brings you the meal, you signed this ticket attesting that you agreed with what was served to you, “1 spaghetti, 1 ceasar sald, 2 chocolate cakes & 2 oranginas”.

Then, as you disagree with what you signed, we decided to check with “the Maitre d’hôtel”, which was in fact the one who served you.
He guaranteed having served 2 chocolate desserts. After this trouble, we went to see the Chef & The Pastry and ask them what the room service was yesterday. The Chef told us about the main courses than we asked the Pastry what we served for the dessert, his answer was direct, “2 chocolate cakes”.
Regarding the take-away pizza, as told by the receptionist, guests are not allowed to bring food in their room due to health reason. As all the products of the hotel are controlled, we would not like to have to manage a food poisoning without knowing what the guest really ate before.

Please accept our apologies for the last 10 minutes of your stay who apparently turned to be a nightmare. We will be glad to welcome you again next year.

Best regards & best wishes for 2013
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2012

Just got back from a weekend break here. My husband paid 1100 Euros a night for a family suite - half board (I was shocked!) and for that I expected a fab hotel and amazing service. We got the fab hotel - amazing room, a great bar area and a good restaurant, but it fell so short on service. Problems with the (painfully loud) fire alarm - at 5pm, not a problem, but at 11.15pm after going to bed at 10pm it was horrendous, with 3 of struggling to get back to sleep, and the excuse was "better broken sleep than a broken life" - even though there was no fire - either time. NO APOLOGY. Our room, room 60, was great, but next door to the kitchens - not the quietest part of the hotel, and with young children, we went to bed early. Big shock when my husband asked for Muesli at breakfast to be told "we have run out and the next delivery is Tuesday" - I've never heard of a hotel running out of breakfast cereal!! This hotel advertises itself as "a 3 star hotel about to become a 4 star hotel". Fab looking hotel and we loved the bar area, but for the price we paid (the wrong price) I expect a good hotel and great service - Sadly this hotel falls so so short on the service. Great skiing, but with loads of Hotels in Meribel, we will not be going back to the Le Savoy - ever.

Room Tip: Not on the 6th floor - Kitchens are noisy.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family