“Truly fine dining”

Domaine de Capelongue
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Bonnieux
Reviewed April 21, 2014

The food is worthy of the 2 Michelin stars. The wine list is extensive. Expect prices accordingly.
The service could be a notch better, it gives an amateur feeling at this level. Breakfast is all right as there is more than just croissants and café au lait. Tea from tea bags - a detail which could be improved. The bright dining room is nicer in the morning than in the evening.
Wifi in the room did not work.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Fuzzyguy
There are newer reviews for Domaine de Capelongue

Reviewed April 3, 2014

Domaine de Capelongue is just a wonderful place to stay. The location on the hills ensures fantastic panorama. Dinner was great as was the breakfast, with homemade bread, juices, great variety. Spacious room. Nice pool area. Friendly staff. Overall, a picture-perfect place in the heart of the Luberon.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Sometimes you just want a small well run hotel, a place to take a morning and afternoon swim and a wonderful locally inspired meal to end the day.

Service both in the restaurant and in the hotel was careful and representative of the region. No one was trying to be something they were not. Service for the most part was intuitive and this impressed me. Others could confuse this with inattentiveness.

The details down to the staff uniforms were sublime. Again a homage to the area you are in. Don't think too hard because they already did. For the most part the people serving were more sophisticated that the ones being served.

The annex was interesting and to some degree innovative in its approach. The main building was more country chic. The room was comfortable and well kept. Air quality and sleep quality was perfect. We slept with the windows ajar, the split HVAC system I preferred off to keep noise levels to a minimum.

The location is ideal.

The restaurant prepared a perfect breakfast in the form of a buffet. We dined twice in the evening. It was one of the most memorable. The menu was of considerable effort and dishes were complex yet flavours and ingredients remained pure in form, although quite elevated. We were impressed.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tokyo-debonair
Reviewed November 1, 2013

A magnificient view on the lovely Bonnieux village at the top of the hill. Stay in the Ferme de Capelongue annex across the road which is perfect for a family with large rooms including a kitchen and several rooms neatly decorated in a modern fashion. The 2 star Michelin restaurant is what this place if famous for though. We did not eat there because we felt that the meals were too pricey but the breakfast we ate was delicious. The entire complex is beautiful with modern style touches of decoration (sculptures in the garden...) fitting well in this Provence style set of buildings.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank StephaneTreppoz
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I'll admit this is my first review after using trip advisor for years when traveling to Europe. This review was difficult for me to write as I am an upbeat person who enjoys accentuating the positive. The positive part of the review is that the property itself is outstandingly beautiful. The detail in the gardens, grounds, and outdoor area ranks in the top one or two hotels that I've visited in Europe. I am pretty exclusively a Relais & Chateau customer as it guarantees (for the most part) that the Hotel will exceed my expectations. This is truly a stunning property.
I believe that part of my problem was that I booked the wrong room. I should have researched the room and it's particulars, and I didn't. I stayed one night at the Pigeonnier room, and it had too many problems to be considered a 3 star accommodation. This circular apartment is like a miniature tower with three levels. The bottom level is lounge and entertainment, second level is sleeping and shower and bathroom, and top level...not sure. It was open space with pillows etc.
My first problem was the very top level was essentially a fly trap. For some reason, the design of this apartment attracts and traps flies on the top floor. Not one or two flies, by my estimation maybe close to 100 to 200 live flies and about 60 or 70 dead flies. Sci-fi movie status. Hotel was very quick to send someone over to clean up the dead flies. Next issue was that we could not for the life of us lock the front door. We tried the keys and every which way and it would not lock. This meant we had to leave our apartment unlocked with multiple laptops, cameras, iPads, and all of our belongings. The front desk sent someone to check it out but there was never a solution. Third issue was the layout and functionality of the apartment. The steps were small metal steps that were not conducive to carrying big suitcases up them, so we left our suitcases on the first floor. Not a huge inconvenience (except going up and down the stairs to continually get things). The bathroom configuration on the second level was not well thought out. The shower area had no containment, everything including the commode is very "out in the open". This meant that when you showered, all the water runs everywhere. With no containment, water was flowing freely on the floor. Since the floor *seemed* water proofed, like a cement finish, I wasn't too worried. Well the water flowed right off the cement and down through the wood floor to the first level...right into my open suitcase. My clothes and goods got soaked. I could tell by looking at the ceiling on the first level, that this is a very regular occurrence, lots of water stains. At this point, I was truly disappointed. We let the front desk staff know of our water situation and I got the feeling that this was something they dealt with on a regular basis with this particular apartment. They were responsive but seemed exasperated. I was upset because my entire wardrobe for the rest of my trip was wet. I know it seems trivial until you have to figure out how to dry all of your clothes in a suitcase while packing and getting ready for your next destination. St. Remy and Chateau des Apilles was a welcome change and our last destination. I would give this hotel a second shot as Bonnieux is exceptionally beautiful. I would book a room close to the restaurant and reception area next time because I truly believe that with the right room, this could be a fabulous experience.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Terry H
Reviewed October 18, 2013

We spend 5 nights ,3 couples in the Apartments .its first class country /village Hotel
Any part of the hotel is designed beautifully , classic with lot of chick .
Hotel Crew are great from Aude at the reception to the chef ,taking care that every day you will enjoy your stay in the hotel ,tours and restaurants.
We had dinner at the Hotel restaurant as well ( 2 stars restaurant) great experience very recommended ,
Location of the Hotel is great one of the best to make every day different tours in the region just few minutes From Bonnieux Village .
Will return there definitely .

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank YORAMD
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We booked a 2 night gastronomy/wine package with a special truffle dinner on site at the 2 star Michelin restaurant, winery tour, and lodging. The property is spectacular, with gorgeous vistas, gardens, a spacious pool area, terraced patios, and Provencal facilities. On arrival we found a small slate of fresh fruits in our room, with figs grown on property. After a huge long day of driving we ordered wine for the room, which came promptly with a tray of nuts, a plate of prosciutto, and a bowl of crudites-delightful! Both rooms were spacious, one ridiculously so, with a patio of its own. Authentic tasteful Provence decor and antiques or very good reproductions. Our rooms were in the Bastide, nearest to the restaurant, and unlike other reviewers we had no trouble with the wifi. Staff were very responsive and helpful. Good location from which to explore Provence. I found it to be a truly magical place, and would love to return when the lavender is blooming.

Room Tip: Great sunset and vistas from Mamette room.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bonnieux
Le Mas des Herbes Blanches
Hotel Bastide de Lourmarin
Le Domaine des Andeols
Le Domaine des Andeols
#1 of 2 in Saint-Saturnin-les-Apt

Been to Domaine de Capelongue? Share your experiences!