“A most excellent surprise”

Auberge de l'Aiguebrun
Ranked #19 of 24 Restaurants in Bonnieux
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“A most excellent surprise”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We were looking for a restaurant for our last night in the Luberon and had driven past this hotel/restaurant on our way into Bonnieux. Checking out the menu, we decided to give this one a go and made reservations. Casually, but beautifully, appointed,the restaurant, meal and service were excellent from start to finish. And we found prices good for the quality. Kevin had the Degustation Menu of five courses, while I had the regular menu of four courses. Presentation is everything, and it all looked good. AND it all TASTED good!. Our waiter was very attentive and, although he said he spoke little English, was actually pretty proficient, enough that I didn't have to struggle through my halting French. The best part was my dessert, called Froid et Chaud, which comsists of a chocolate ball, but I am not going to spoil the surprise! We both ordered separate items to get a variation from the menu, and it was all good.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank pwrquilter

Paris, France
“Delicious and lovely setting”
Reviewed July 7, 2012

If the weather allows, eat on the terrace -- it's wonderful. Great food and wine, an excellent place for dinner.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank aimeekelley
San Diego, California
“Great Food,..but expepnsive”
Reviewed June 19, 2012

Liked the food,...
Disliked - Menu items were not available

Visited June 2012
San Francisco, California
“The perfect experience for traditional Provence with Michelin quality”
Reviewed June 11, 2012

This was the quaint and classical Provencial date - ancient countryside, adorable Auberge, & dining room in an understated old enclosed patio. It was elegantly set up, and the service people provided classic, exceptional service... friendly and curiously familiar while allowing for our own dalliances and private moments. They answered every question we had, engaged our senses completely, and made our night. I am not sure about the rating, but I am fairly confident it was rated a one star michelin restaurant. If that's not indication enough, i think it might be interesting that I am waffling between whether it's a one or two star.... I think they were operating at that level of service. The floor staff was slightly familiar and direct, but it was completely charming and enjoyable.

The menu included additions presented on a chalk board sitting along the far wall. We had some translation difficulties, but my wife ordered the entire chef's coursed suggestions for the day, and I ordered each item that made me vibrate with anticipation as I read them on the menu.

They started us with a small tomato amuse bouche - a simple ripe cherry tomato from their garden, with a slight amount of honey, and some other herb. It was unexpected, dazzling, and somewhat explosive.... as you bit the tomato off a skewer, all the flavor immediately mingled. That doesn't always happen, and it takes a smart chef to know how to force a guest into the flavor combo they are going for. So often you end up with a diner with travels along familiar lines, and eats food in the unimaginative and uniform patterns they are used to. I find it exceptional when a chef forces people out of their comfort zones or habits. This was a perfect start to the meal. This unassuming, prosaic looking start to the meal set the tone, and it didn't let up until the shocking conclusion at dessert.

I usually like to report what both my wife and I got, but I admit... i didn't get the menu from them tonight (I actually asked, and they have, literally, so few they couldn't set one free. I am fine with that), but I know that my meal, for the first time in a LONG time, was so enthralling that I don't really remember clearly what she had.

I started with a seafood risotto, which was superb. The grain was cooked perfectly, it was silky and rich, and the perfect portion - I was left wanting more, but happily full, knowing a few more bites would have derailed my appetite. It was one of the more delicious risottos that has entered my personal space. I make a mean one, i have worked in settings that delivered exceptional risotto.... but this beat them all. I am fairly confident my wife had a tomato gazpacho, and enjoyed it, as I wallowed in self interest in my own meal.

My main plat was a Veal with Foie Gras. Fresh isn't the word, and well prepared wouldn't do it justice. This was from out the back door, and the entire dish seemed to melt into a butter as I ate it. I have never had a better cut of veal, or one that was better prepared. The foie on top was a powerful addition.... and the rich and powerfully delicious combo just floored my stomach and body. I was entering an area that was very clearly transcendent.

My wife had the Pave de Maigre Roti et sa fondue de poivron... she thought it was a cut of steak, but the definition she had in mind was off, and it turned out to be a white fish like a trout, with a roasted pepper fondue. it basically means a lean filet. It was good, but she was thrown off, and was hoping for red meat, her eyes longingly draping my disappearing dish. Don't worry I shared...I did think twice tho. It was unbelievable.

We shared a plate of Chevre fromage... all from down the street. If I ever think of it, I will upload a pic of goats to this review.... they were cute, and they made our cheese that sat in front of us. Wonderful! We moved on to a dessert that melted, literally, my heart. Huzzah for stupid words!

I got this hot and cold, dark and white chocolate dessert. It was basically a chocolate ganache pudding inside a chocolate, hollow, orb. Then the chocolate top of the chocolate orb was placed to conceal the pudding, and was delivered to the table. From there, they pour a hot white milk chocolate mixture over the pudding in the orb, and without knowing what was happening, the hot chocolate slowly melted away the roof of the chocolate orb and revealed the ganache inside. I am sorry to be such a simpleton, but the way it melted reminded me of the acid burning the metal in the alien films. It was just so cool to watch... a delightful moment from left field. It is not easy to surprise me, or find me giddily clapping like a silly boy (you can catch this, and yes it embarasses my wife), but this was so much of a treat..... it ended the meal perfectly.

We closed with digestif (cognac) and espresso. We had a Domaine de la Begude Bandol La Brulade 2001 for the meal. UNBELIEVABLE Huzzah BANDOL!

• Visited May 2012
2 Thank OnlineConcierge
Holland
“A lovely surprise”
Reviewed April 13, 2012

Lovely old house by a beautiful stream in the middle of the countryside. We had a great room which was tastefully decorated in white and spotlessly clean. There is an extremely good restaurant at the hotel which is reasonably priced and a lovely pool for warmer weather. Great place to spend a night.

Visited April 2012