“Very good restaurant in wonderful location”
Review of Le Fournil

Le Fournil
Ranked #3 of 25 Restaurants in Bonnieux
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Just to correct the previous post: this restaurant does not have a Michelin star. It is rated as two knives/forks, which is a rating I would agree with. The service was excellent and the chef and waiter were extremely friendly. The food was fantastic, though we did learn to listen more carefully to what the dishes are. We ordered lamb open ravioli, but didn't listen well enough. It was lamb, but we hadn't intended to order lambs brain.... Our fault not theirs, and all the food was beautifully presented and prepared. Good value too. It was a cold February day, so there was no outside dining. The dining room is built into the cliff, which is quite atmospheric. In the summer it would be a lovely spot to go.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

It was unexpected pleasantness thanks to tasty cuisine, good service and charming located at Rome style place in the centre of Bonnieux!

Reviewed December 26, 2012

I loved the big outdoor terrace. We made reservations-- careful- this and l'arome really fill up. food and ambiance amazing. a must

1  Thank Doby47
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Le Fournil was a delight. It was a welcome return to a more classic tradition of French cooking, and balanced out our recent meals at places like Frenchie and Chateaubriand, in Paris. We were looking for a more accurate, traditional portrayal of French cooking, and this restaurant was simply perfect for that special meal out in the Luberon. We were stationed in Buoux, our new favorite place in the world, and ventured throughout the plateau routes to find Bonnieux's charming cliffside village, and this smart establishment, engineered into the ancient caves at the base of the city. A romantic, intimate setting, it still offered a slightly modern panache with their tables and design. It was a wonderful juxtaposition to the interiors. Our server was adorable, a welcoming, genuine, and warm gentleman. Obviously empathetic and in tune with our experience, he enhanced an already enjoyable meal - his recommendations and advice were honest, refreshing, and welcome. We started with an apertif, and moved into the menu.... It was 44.50euro w/o a cheese course, and 49euro w/ cheese. My wife got the former, and ordered the latter, so we just shared the course, and enjoyed the longer meal.

We chatted with the owner about appropriate wines for our meal, and we had a lively discussion about my choice vs. a couple others, what each meant, how he knew the wineries, etc. It was appreciated, and he led us to a more appropriate bottle at a lesser price. Truly a restaurateur, who simply wants the meal to be perfect, regardless of potential upselling.

3 courses:

I had roule de lapin (rabbit medallions) with peppered artichoke heart and beet vinaigrette, my wife had warm asparagus with morel with pearls and chicken stock reduction

I had the wok roasted porc bigorre with the pea "sauce" (like a flavorful gazpacho - this meal was insane), wife had young goat fired two ways with the arab quinoa & stewed fruits.

The cheese plate is a blur. It was brilliant layed out in a spiral, each cheese meant to be eaten prior to the following cheese. It worked your palette up, paired with the wine, and led us to our digestif and dessert.

I got the creme brulee a la menthe fraiche, which was superb. My wife got the chocolat du moment... it was simply divine. In fact, switch that, but we shared both, so it doesn't matter. Both desserts were exceptional. We finished with a Sauternes and port, and the coffee simply made the meal. I wish life relegated us into this position more often... to eat like this, to be taken care of like this... is a rare and exceptional gift.

Whether you are in Bonnieux and have time for lunch, or want to make a special night out in Provence, Le Fournil will provide a satiated palette and memories for decades. I love writing reviews for this precise reason...I am taken back to the moment. I remember walking out thinking they did food better than some of the best in Paris. I still stand by it... and can't wait to go back.

3  Thank OnlineConcierge
Reviewed October 23, 2012

This restaurant is at its best on a warm Provençal evening, sitting outside in the middle of Bonnieux with the fountain and wine glasses tinkling under the leafy canopy. I didn't even know it had indoor seating until this end-of-season visit on a cool October day. It does, in a dining room more like a rocky cavern than anything else - stylishly done though. The food and service were up to the usual standard with a tasty layered vegetable and mozzarella entree being a highlight. We call this the soccer score restaurant - you know, four - nil.