“No Critique from the Critic” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Baronnie Hotel & Spa

La Baronnie Hotel & Spa
New York City, New York
“No Critique from the Critic”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014

First, I must say that I travel often for work and for life. At this stage, I must admit that I am not the easiest to please. Even the littlest of details or disorganization can catch my eye. So it gives me great pleasure to share my WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE at La Baronnie, it was PERFECT, so much so - I extended my trip. The venue, the staff, the grounds, the decor - all royal. Do yourself and your loved one a favor and book your trip as I did and I would personally recommend the Sevigne Suite. best KAH

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nyc_25guy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013

Stayed there 3 nights in early October. Our room (cannot remember the name of it) was on the first floor in the main building through which you enter the property, and overlooked the backyard, hence was extremely quiet. Very stylish furbishing. Outstanding breakfast for French standards. Personnel was attentive but never intrusive. We'll be back! The island is a gem! And we were blessed by an outstanding weather early October.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Ashburn, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

We are return visitors to La Baronnie . It is truly an oasis within an already special locale. The rooms are gorgeous; tastefully decorated. Incredibly, without losing its old world charm, the bathrooms are very modern and spacious. The hotel is always impeccably clean and the service is beyond compare. The morning breakfast is a feast with plenty of variety to get you on your way for the day on Re. The gardens are enchanting. Another great benefit is being able to park within the walls of the facility.
The staff are exceptional - kind, helpful and very professional. We also loved Ola, the La Baronnie mascot, she is quite a charmer herself. Also, upon recommendation of the staff, we tried a new, great place to dine - Le Tout de Cru. It is located right around the corner and is a must-stop for any true seafood lover. They had specialty (world renowned) oysters and a perfect wine list to match (if you go, try the wine from St. Emillion - we loved it!)

Room Tip: Each room has its individual charm. Check with the staff before booking and they will guide you to...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Europe
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

On 30th August I reserved a room on the internet at this establishment for the13th September and, like the fool I am, did not check the confirmation. On the 12th September I was printing out the confirmation and realised that, silly old fool that I am, I had actually made a mistake and reserved a room for the date on which I had made the booking, 30th August.

I contacted the hotel and explained my mistake and asked if they would be prepared to credit the amount they had deducted from my credit card against a future stay and they said that they would not as their cancellation policy was strictly followed!

I did not request my money back merely a credit against a stay the following month and, as they stated in their correspondence they can let every room in August, I have little doubt that they re-let the room when we failed to arrive!

Poor service to my mind although I readily admit that it was my fault in making the error......watch yourselves with this hotel!!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Ustaritz
Baronnie, Gérant at La Baronnie Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear Sir and Madam, We are terribly sorry to read this comment since you have not stayed with us. As you mentionned, you made a mistake in your reservation's date and I totally understand that you have been surprised of being charged; but we cannot be responsible of your mistake (especially in August) and our general sales conditions are well explained on line. It is really sad you judge the hotel without having stayed in our spaciaous rooms, or enjoying the gardens or the spa... We hope to have the opportunity to make you change your mind welcoming you here; it would be a real pleasure for us!
London, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for just one night on a stopover en route to Paris and had such a lovely time, we left wishing we could stay for a whole week!

We received a very warm welcome from the owner and her lovely little doggie Ola who both showed us around the gorgeous gardens, the hotel and to our room. We stayed in the tower room which was just fantastic - a split level room with a bathroom and storage on the lower floor and a spiral staircase to the bedroom on the top floor. The loveliest thing about the tower room is that there are windows on three of the four walls which can be opened to provide a delightful breeze on a warm day and offer stunning views of the town all around.

The bedroom had a really comfy bed (despite being two singles pushed together - we didn't even really notice this) with lots of fluffy pillows, a mosquito net and a good tv.

The only downside would be for anyone who likes a lie-in - the bells from the church nearby ring for a few minutes at 7.30am so either bring earplugs or be wiling to start your day nice and early.

My husband and I were perfectly happy to wake up early and enjoyed the buffet breakfast immensely - lots of delicious freshly baked goods, cheeses, jams, cereals, tea, coffee and freshly squeezed orange juice.

Overall a really charming place - perfect old school French charm rather than showy 5 star. It's clean, pretty, full of character with very hospitable hosts and is a stones throw from the port of Martin de Re.

Highly recommended, would most definitely visit again!

• Stayed September 2013
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

Just returned from a 3 night break in Ile de Re staying at La Baronnie. It came recommended by friends and did not disappoint. We received a very warm welcome on arrival and Marianna was so helpful and so cheerful throughout. We stayed in Pavillion Bien Etre which is situated in the gardens and I look forward to returning to this room year after year for what will now be our yearly getaway from the kids. The room is effortlessly simple in decoration, charming and very very comfortable. The location is excellent away from the main drag of the port but can be reached in 30 seconds. Bikes can be secured in the car park to the rear. From our experience I cannot rate highly enough. I would agree with wifi not being great but suited me down to the ground as meant my husband gave up on accessing work e mails. After all it was a break from it all and for that it ticked every box.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

We have just returned from a 5 night stay at La Baronnie. The location is superb, a minute's walk from the port at St Martin. The hotel itself is very nice, calm, beautifully decorated and with antique furniture. Our room was lovely, (although if we went back we would ask for a room at the back as it was noisy in the mornings on a couple of days), with a super, huge and comfortable bed and spacious bathroom. Others on here have commented about a poor breakfast but we thought it was absolutely fine. Lovely pastries, yoghurts, cereals, cold meat and cheese. If you want bacon and eggs you can order it extra but what is provided is an excellent, french style breakfast.
The staff were all very attentive and helpful.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Martin de Re
#1 of 7 in La Flotte
Atalante Relais Thalasso
Atalante Relais Thalasso
#2 of 6 in Sainte Marie de Re

Been to La Baronnie Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!