“Just beautiful!!”

La Baronnie Hotel & Spa
Reviewed September 13, 2012

The hotel is just perfect. A peaceful garden, spacious and tasteful decorated rooms and a very friendly and helpful staff. Right in the middle of St Martin you feel like out of the world but if you step out there are lots of great restaurants, shops and bars. We are looking forward to come back in the next year.

Room Tip: All rooms are beautiful
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for La Baronnie Hotel & Spa

Reviewed September 13, 2012

Perfect small hotel run by a small, efficient and Excellent team and charming proprietors.
Tasteful and comfortable rooms and bathrooms, delicious breakfast and everything worked and ran smoothly. Would definitely recommend it for a few days of total relaxation, without the need of a car.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 24, 2012

We stayed at la baronnie at beginning of August, which is peak season in Saint Martin. La baronnie was a real treat. Even though the hotel is 20 steps from the buzzling harbour with restaurants and shops, this is an island of peace and tranquility. The gardens are just fantastic an invite to spend some quite days reading and enjoying the beautiful surroundings. The generous rooms are tastefully furnished, comfortable and cozy. The decoration of the entire house, including the various sitting rooms, is full of stylish small details. This hotel is a luxury chambre d'hôte, rather than a traditional hotel. This means, that there is no 24 hours reception, no valet service and less staff than in a 5 star hotel, which it also isn't. However, the staff is extremely friendly and helpful, we were being helped with our luggage, and we didn't miss anything. The atmosphere is very personal, and the staff is giving the guests its space and its privacy. We almost felt like in a private home. Being a historic mansion, which must be difficult to maintain at such standard, it is understood that there are certain things (such as picknicking in the room) that one would not be doing. But I did not feel being supervised in any moment, and nobody complained about the soft drinks we added to our frigo. I cannot confirm any of the negative comments regarding this topic. I highly recommend this unique hotel - probably the most beautiful one on this island. It's a special treat, which also has its price, of course. But definitely worth it.

Room Tip: There are rooms in 2 buildings. We preferred the baronnie building with a room overlooking the garde...
Reviewed August 21, 2012

This hotel is beautiful inside and out. The gardens are wonderful and peaceful even though the hotel is situated so close to the bustling harbour of St. Martin, which is a big positive. The breakfast was lovely and served in the pretty gardens. The staff were friendly and helpful. We also had fantastic massages in the spa, just a shame you have to pay 60 euros to use the sauna and jacuzzi.

Room Tip: We were in Pascalou, which is one of the cheapest rooms. It is small, with a good sized bathroom, bu...
Reviewed August 17, 2012

On arrival we walked through the grounds from the car park to the reception and I was immediately struck by the peaceful beauty of the gardens and the surrounding buildings. As soon as we entered our bedroom (Rose de Palme) I knew it satisfied the image of what I think an ideal hotel room should be - enormous shuttered windows framed with beautiful curtains, a high ceiling, wooden floors, lovely large rug/unfitted carpet, lots of mirrors, and a really attractive and efficient bathroom. It was like an unspoilt room in a chateau/old French house, with no modern alterations and air conditioning (which we didn't miss at all). The breakfast is expensive but was good quality and what a lovely place to eat it out on the terrace. We used the gardens to read, relax, sunbathe, do yoga. Hiring bikes to cycle to explore the island and travel to the beaches on the other side of the island was one of the best things we did - only used the car once to explore the far end of the island on a wet day (well worth the journey).
The hotel remained so peaceful despite being so close to the harbour. It was wonderful for us to be able to step out of the hotel in the evening to explore the restaurants around the harbour and in the town. Unfortunately we weren't so keen on the Bistrot Marin as the waiter was not friendly or helpful. I don't know why we tried it twice but the second time we went my friend was served the wrong dish! But there was amazing seafood eveywhere we went. For a slightly different style there is a very friendly and interesting family run restaurant opposite the Hotel de Ville. Do not miss the indoor market for the full range of the most delicious French food.
I have no idea why the swimming pool/spa is so expensive. We didn't miss it but didn't even bother to explore due to the price.
This hotel/holiday was an expensive special treat but I certainly hope to return to Ile de Re and La Baronnie sometime in the future.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 15, 2012

The breakfast - with freshly squeezed orange juice, peaches, cheese and great coffee - was outstanding.
The service was charming and they speak great English but are happy to allow you to experiment (in my case!) with your French.
Our inky disappointment - and it is a function of the popularity of this beatific place - is that we didn't have a slightly larger room. We had one of the cheaper and therefore smaller rooms - which was a bit humid at night and not as comfortably appointed as others on the website. However the whole place is beautiful. There are lots of places to relax, the gardens are lovely and it is very central.

We would definitely recommend and will be back.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 11, 2012

I'm torn about what I want to say about this place.

The good:

-The location is outstanding. A few steps from the port in St. Martin de Ré means you're very close to the restaurants, etc. but not so close that the noise and bustle are right outside your window.

-The buildings and common areas are lovely.

-The breakfast was adequate, delicious, and served in a really charming setting by a friendly, helpful staff member. (Despite costing 16 euros- about 5 euros too much.)

-Large room with a large bath with good amenities.

The bad:

-Our room- Laure Marine- was mostly clean and I must commend them for putting a white carpet in a hotel room- at least you know what's on it! But the bed had a gross quilt on top of the otherwise clean duvet. So the owner can't respond to this and say I'm making that up, I'm posting a photo of the large brown stain in the center. The second day when we returned from our bike trip, I first thought the quilt had been changed, but no, it had been flipped over. So apparently the cleaning staff noticed the stain but couldn't be bothered to take the quilt away. Also, the duvet was a winter weight and not at all appropriate for August- especially on the 3rd floor of a non-air-conditioned hotel.

-The bath was very large but the shower was ridiculous. The walls in the tub area are white painted wood panelling!!! How can one possibly take a proper shower? All I could think of was that the wood was probably so mildewed inside and I showered as quickly as possible and got out of there. Not at all a luxury bath experience. More like camping.

- The staff: mostly friendly and accommodating. The Indian gentleman there in the evenings was very charming and nice as was the older woman who was there at night. I admit that through my own poor planning, I had to bother her late at night to pay our bill as we were leaving early in the morning and she was very gracious about it. Also, when we arrived in Paris after our departure and my husband realized he still had the key to our room in his pocket, I called, spoke with her, apologized profusely and she was very kind and thankful that we were mailing it back. Oops- so sorry!

But, there is another woman who works during the day who I felt less positive about. In spite of the fact that I obviously speak fluent French, she persisted in speaking English to me. Fine, she wants to practice her English, but what that says to a guest is that you think their French is bad. Whatever, I wasn't going to take it personally. Until other things started happening. For example, the first afternoon, I asked her if she'd be able to help me with a restaurant for dinner. She replied, "Sure, just come and see me when you're ready." Ok, I was kind of ready then since I was asking, but whatever. An hour later, I passed through reception and heard her speaking to a French family who also asked for a restaurant recommendation to which she replied with half a dozen suggestions, asking what they were looking for, and giving them the business cards of various restaurants they might be interested in. ?!?!?!? Didn't I just ask the same thing and got a "Come and see me later."?

Another example, is that on each day, I asked if a parking place had become available for me (see story below) and was told that she would verify if anyone was leaving and let us know. Each time she told me no, yet on the second day, I overheard a French genteman ask the same question to which she replied yes and he was given a spot in the car park. I don't want to go so far as to say that there is an anti-American sentiment here specifically with this particular staff member because I don't have evidence of that other than our particular anecdote, but there was definitely something going on. We're friendly, respectful, quiet, and make an effort to fit in and speak their language. Perhaps it's just a jaded attitude toward non-French tourists in general with no particular country in mind. It's just my observation that French people were much more warmly welcomed here than non-French. What a shame.

-The parking drama: The first day when we arrived and were informed that there was no room in the parking for us, the woman mentioned above rubbed me the wrong way. First she told me that it's clearly offered on their website that we could have booked parking at the time we booked the room since there is limited space. Well, excuse me if I didn't read every single word on your website and it wasn't made clear that there are not enough spaces for all of your guests. That was fine. I can accept that there wasn't a spot for us. BUT when I then asked her to give us change so we could pay the 15 euro (!!!) meter fee for street parking, she acted like it was the end of the world and made sure we knew we were cleaning out her change in her money box. Ok, so you don't have a space for us, and you don't want to help me park my car on the street, would you like me to just drive my car into the harbor and be done with it? What was I supposed to do? When I enquired on day two if a space had freed up by a guest leaving she said no (which I find hard to believe), but in her defense, she did offer to let us park in the back and leave our keys but she also made it sound like it was going to be an ordeal for the evening staff, so of course we weren't going to accept the offer. Here's the best part... when we went to rent bikes at a bike shop in the town on day two, the gentleman who took care of us there told us about a FREE parking lot at the entrance to town. This was the first we'd heard of a free parking lot- after two conversations with this woman at the hotel?! Why wouldn't she tell us about that? Unbelievable. For the rates charged at this hotel, there is no reason they can't hire a valet to manage their car park so that all guests can be accommodated by double parking some cars and moving them around as needed. This is a very common practice at other hotels. This was really an annoyance for us and to some extent tainted our time on Ile de Ré- always having to worry about your car is no fun.

- 60 euros charge for using the pool and spa? Outrageous, ridiculous, offensive. What are they thinking? Ok, maybe to keep it from being crowded, they might need a reservation system but why not just a sign up sheet? Or even a 10 euro charge? 60 euros??? Obviously they don't want people to use it.

Overall, this wasn't the worst hotel I've ever stayed at (far from it) but it certainly wasn't the best and when we return to Ile de Ré, we'll be looking for something else. This hotel has an air about it that the owners think they're the Georges V or something and they have the snobby attitude to go with, but they need a wake up call.

I've read the outrageous rebuttal comments of the owner in response to other guests negative reviews so I suppose I should get ready for some of that myself. I wish I had seen those comments before I booked because I never would have booked somewhere with an owner who never seems to be able to admit that something wasn't perfect and accuses people who have paid a lot of money of being liars and out-of-bounds. Really, very offensive.

4  Thank Leslie319
#6 of 12 in Saint Martin de Re
Hotel Restaurant & SPA Plaisir
Hotel Restaurant & SPA Plaisir
#3 of 6 in Le Bois-Plage-en-Re

Been to La Baronnie Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!