1,037 results
All reviews fish pastries small balcony executive room menus accor machine beach french walks mainland
Selected filters
Reviewed August 30, 2018

We travelled as a couple, stayed 3 nights on our return to the UK. We had low expectations having recently overnighted at Ibis Styles at Bordeaux Airport, also owned by Accor Hotels. I was recommended the hotel by a family member as it has a most brilliant location right on the beach. The beach is sheltered and quiet - excellent in August as everywhere else is pretty rammed!! Great saltwater swimming pool, though again, being August, the place is heaving with noisy kids - only to be expected this time of year. Go at 8am if you want to do lengths...We only ate in the restaurant one night - awful. Massively overpriced and shocking food - I chose the sole, but it could have been anything really. No flavour. 27Euros for a fish on a plate. No accompaniments, nothing. Absolute shocker. Go and eat at Interlude in St Trojan - set menu for 25Euros, perfectly nice. For fine dining, eat at Les Jardines d'Alienor in Le Chateau - very near by. Delicious food and excellent service. Set menus at 39 and 49Euros, but worth it when compared to the horrors of The Novotel! The one massive USP here is the location. Can't beat it. Breakfast was pretty good - plenty of fresh fruit, juices, cooked food and pastries. Coffee from the machine was also excellent. Service fine...typically French! No English spoken really, so practice your French! We had an executive room. Small, clean, admirably functional. Absolutely no frills, but fantastic view of the sea and mainland. Small balcony, two deckchairs just about fitting on it...pretty pricey, actually, for what it is.

Room tip: Get an Executive Sea view room. The view is the major feature of this hotel.
Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 20, 2017 via mobile

Disappointment saved by the stunning location. First impressions were that the whitewashed walls of the hotel above the entrance were grubby green with algae. But the entrance hall and reception looking through to the restaurant and bar were quite smart. A very nice welcome from reception and we were quickly on our way to our room on the second floor. I had asked for the top floor to be sure to be way above the noise from the outside bar. But we were settled in before I realised the second floor was not the top floor. After the weekend it was not too noisy. The room had a nice view on to the beach and sea with a tiny balcony just room enough for two basic deck chairs. For an executive room it seemed very small. Only about 20cms down one side of the bed, difficult when you're not quite as agile as once upon a time, but otherwise just adequate. The best feature was the Nespresso machine with a box of 6 capsules which were replenished each day but that was let down by the paper cups that were provided. Luckily we had china cups in our picnic bag! No glasses were provided just plastic beakers and one bottle of water. How mean! All the staff were lovely and I had no problem borrowing two wine glasses from the bar. It is nice to go shopping locally and bring back a bottle of wine rather than relying solely on the hotel. We ate in the restaurant twice. Dinner on the first night and lunch on our last day. Very average food. My salmon starter at lunch looked as though the endive and apple had been on the plate all morning, very dry, not dressed and turning brown. I should have sent it back. But it's a long way to go to eat otherwise. We did eat once at L'ile aux Papilles in St. Pierre which was excellent and once at Le Jardin Romain in Grand Village which was OK though lacking in flavour. Where is all the great French cuisine? We did not go to the external tables or bar because of the smokers and the dogs. Having said all that we enjoyed our stay and it was great to be able to walk along the beach or the paths above the shore and enjoy the wonderful seascapes.

Date of stay: October 2017
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
3  Thank MikeRB186265
Reviewed September 21, 2017

From the moment of arriving i was made to feel like an important guest and given all opportunities to upgrade If I wanted to as well as information about the hotel. My standard room was comfortable and spacious inside and outside had a small patio area with table and chairs.
The restaurant in the evening was well paced and offered a god selection on the menu and not "just" the novotel menu you get nationally - it was great to enjoy the wine of the Island as well. Breakfast was well laid out and enjoyed at a leisurely pace
It was superb to only walk 20 metres from the Terrace and be on the beach
This hotel served me well and when I had to leave I was totally relaxed, and ready to go onwards on my motorcycle tour

Date of stay: September 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
PH L, General Manager at Novotel Thalassa Oleron St Trojan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2017

Dear Amacsporran,

We Thank you very much for sharing your experience.
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay with us.
It was a real pleasure to welcoming you!

I do not hesitate to share your feed back with our team.

Thank you again and we hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.

Philippe Lutz

Reviewed July 26, 2017

We stayed during the high season in a standard room. Be careful when you book: standard room means here with no view and on the ground or 1st floor. So basically below average compared to the others.
The service was ok but except for one staff, none of the other went the extra mile that make you enjoy your stay or feel special.
The WiFi worked very poorly in our room. I had to go in the lobby to get connected to the world.
The breakfast offer is ok.
The indoor swimming pool with the fitness facilities does not invite you to play when you are with your family (note that kids below about 1,40m cannot touch the bottom).
The bicycle rental is overpriced compared to other places on the Atlantic coast.
The beach is nice though.
If you are a senior looking for a thalassotherapy it might be a good choice. For a family stay to discover the Ile d´Oléron, I would not recommend.

Date of stay: July 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank Jonathan L
Reviewed July 13, 2017 via mobile

We booked in here for a couple of nights on our way home from holidaying further down in France.

Enjoyed our stay so much we booked in for a third night!

Hotel is right by the sea and is perfect for a relaxing break.

It is not too big yet is big enough to have a big indoor swimming pool and lots of facilities for treatments etc.

The food is excellent. Always well cooked and extremely tasty.

Staff are exemplary. Always kind courteous and polite and if they didn't understand what we were trying to say in our pigeon French they would fetch someone who did.

Room was great. Lovely Seaview. Extremely comfortable bed and pillows. Nice bathroom with excellent shower and lashings of hot water.

I would not hesitate to go back.

Date of stay: July 2017
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
PH L, General Manager at Novotel Thalassa Oleron St Trojan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2017

Dear Madam, dear Sir

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Novotel Thalassa Oleron Saint Trojan.

It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Philippe LUTZ