“Try it now in 2018......”
Review of L'Ecume

L'Ecume
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 1, 2018

Just had the most wonderful dinner here. Looked at reviews on TA from 2017 which were awful but decided to try anyway.
The menu was exciting and the food surpassed expectations.
I had a Melon Gazpacheo with chorizo ....beautiful, followed by lobster and st Jacques en papillotte . I had 4 St Jacques and plenty of lobster. My husbands meal was equally delicious...ravioli with cockles and prawns followed by squid .
In fact there was such a lovely choice of items that we’ve booked again for tomorrow night. I don’t think I’ve ever booked the same place two nights running. Excellent food and great value.

Date of visit: September 2018

Reviewed August 16, 2017 via mobile

My mother-in-law is a local and we come here every summer. She booked the day before for 7:15pm and asked for a baby chair. They said no problem. When we arrived, we were told that they made a mistake and that the baby chair was booked by another couple (who wasn't there yet) and that they only had a booster. We looked at the booster and it was clear that it was too big for our 16-month old baby. We weren't even shown our table when we arrived (the girl forgot) and we had to tell them to figure something out for this situation since it was their fault. They asked if we could go back to get our own baby chair (yeah right!) and then called the other couple (who still wasn't here) to ask them if a booster for their child would work. It wasn't going to work for them either. There was no sense of them providing a solution in any reasonable amount of time, they really just left us there. I asked the girl if she was telling us that she was going to give the baby seat to the couple and baby who were not yet here over us 4 adults with a baby who were here and had also reserved, she said yes. We walked out.
What a disappointment. The worse thing is that a place like this will fill our table in 5 minutes. They think they can treat people like this, this is me showing that nobody I know will be trying their place out.

Date of visit: August 2017
Reviewed June 22, 2017

This restaurant was a not at all as described by the other reviews. We ordered a starter and the main course and a local wine. Mine was a vegetable dish and my boyfriend had oysters. The oysters were fine according to my boyfriend, but my starter dish was a joke. A couple of slices of zuchinni, cucumber and asparagus stuffed into what to my my mind was a fortune cookie.I found it tasteless and did not go well with the cumbled pastry. The chef decided to be fancy and added splotches of horseradish and mayonnaise around the plate.For what ??? Then came the steak, medium rare for me, once again, he put the mustard below the glass of french fries, I have enclosed photographs. We did not bother with dessert after being so dissapointed with the first 2 courses.

Date of visit: June 2017
Reviewed January 8, 2017

Excellent food, pleasant service and perfect place to be on a Sunday in January.
In January many restaurants close for holidays in Ile d'Oléron. We were very lucky to find a table here. The menu has about 4-5 dishes as entry, main and dessert. That's already a good sign. It means the kitchen will actually be able to prepare each dish with great care.
The first week of January there is very little fresh fish that arrives on the market in Oleron and the joue de lotte (Monkfish cheek) had to be replaced by scallops, and the Merlu (hake) was replaced by Merlan (whiting). The waitress was very open about it. Turned out the whiting was very good. The scallops also.
This is a restaurant which prepares all their dishes in their own kitchen. It belongs to the association of Maitre Restaurateurs, which guarantees that all dishes are made on the premises and that locally sourced food is preferred when possible.
We were all very happy with our visit to L'Ecume for a Sunday lunch!

Date of visit: January 2017
Reviewed July 31, 2016

Be careful to reserve a specific table when you book! Otherwise, you may wind up with a table in a very uncomfortable position! This is not a very smart policy decided upon by L'Ecume!

We look forward to eating at L'Ecume every summer when we visit Ile d'Oleron. And this year, once again, we weren't disappointed in the meal that we ate.

However, our experience was far from comfortable. We booked a reservation a few days in advance, arrived at L'Ecume at 19:15 - when there were only a handful of customers already seated. Nonetheless, we were escorted to a table that was squeezed into a corner of the interior room, next to one other table and next to a door leading to the outdoor terrace. Naturally, we asked if we could instead have one of the many remaining tables set aside for couples. No, we were told, all the other tables had been reserved.

Really? Then why, when we booked, weren't we asked if we too had wanted to book a specific table? We had gone direct to the restaurant to make our reservation. So, we could only conclude that everyone else who made reservations said they'd like to book any table but the two that were squeezed together in a corner! How would they have known?

The door to the terrace was only open because the nice weather allowed L'Ecume to seat people on the terrace. That, obviously, meant that they had to move the table at which they seated us from in front of the door which would have been closed if the terrace wasn't being used. Opening the door pushed our table toward the table in the very corner. My wife's back was literally pushed into the table behind her and my back was exposed to a constant draft from the open door which was directly behind me! The couple who came after us, regulars it turns out, were also, obviously, squeezed into an extremely tiny space and were equally annoyed.

It made no sense to my wife or I, nor to the people squeezed behind us, that L'Ecume would make such a ridiculously short-sighted decision rather than just sacrifice one table in that space. The rest of the interior room and terrace had plenty of space between tables. If they were using the terrace, which already meant that they were getting more customers, why did they need to be "greedy" and annoy four good customers who have returned numerous times?

It's a shame that this has to detract from what is usually such a very pleasant experience. The quality of the meals for the price remains very good and the staff were perfectly nice, as always. But management is really screwing up by trying to utilize every square inch of space for the sake of two more guests!

Date of visit: July 2016