“Is this four star?” 3 of 5 bubbles

Mercure Abbeville Hotel de France
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Abbeville
“Is this four star?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

Did an overnight before catching Eurotunnel back to the UK. A smart hotel but not worthy of a four star rating. Yes, there are tea and coffee making facilities but they only provide two hut milks. When we phoned room service, there was no reply. Rooms are on the small side as was the shower room. No bath. We ended up eating in the hotel restaurant which was good whilst rather expensive for what we had. So overall, comfortable but not quite there.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wardiemark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Abbeville, France
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

Hotel could be anywhere in the world with zero character. The room was fine and clean and the bathroom was nice despite the ridiculous separate toilet which you almost had to back into! We had a bar snack when we arrived after wandering around the town looking for somewhere to get a meal and finding no where open. The biggest problem were the reception staff, particularly the lady who booked us in. She was one of the rudest women I have ever met and really should look at having a career change to a career that does not involve working with the general public! She was not just rude to us but also to the man booking in before us who was elderly and had problems hearing what she said. She just shouted at him which was totally unnecessary. She did not even look at him and just stared at her screen and mumbled. She told us our room number, but did not bother to point us in the right direction! When we asked for a receipt she barked a response. A thoroughly unpleasant lady!

Room Tip: Don't bother staying here!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Greenwood, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

Good modern hotel with beautiful furnished quite roomsin a very good location.Friendly multylingual staff.and a surprisingly good breakfast buffet.Great restaurant with a fantastic menue of french and international cuisine. As a group of nine, the table was set up in no time. A free parkinglot ist just a few steps away.

Room Tip: All rooms are equally good.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Berkshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

My husband & I were returning from an exhibiting in France - we were hoping to make the port and get home on Sunday night but as the exhibition did not end on time this was not possible. We use booking.com to source Hotels in an area which is what we did to find this Hotel.

We booked the Hotel en route at 7.00pm & arrrived at 8.20pm. I told the receptionist that we had a booking but she could not find it - I then explained that I had ony booked it about an hour ago and she stomped off into the office and produced a sheet of paper. Somehow the booking had come through for one person although it was a double room - the charge for 2 people was an extra 6 euros which I said was no problem - she then proceeded to give me a 10 minute lecture on why I should not use booking.com and told me that most French Hotels do not advertise on this site (I use it regularly and find hundreds).

I also asked if we could have a table in the restaraunt to which she informed me that I was lucky that we could have table as all the other restaraunts in town were shut but informed me that the restaraunt closes at 9pm. I explained that we would be down in 5 minutes to which I then received another lecture on how people should book in time as yesterday the whole town was fully and there were no hotels with availablitly for 50 miles and they were sending families back to the port (strange I thought for a miserable weekend at the begining of October!). My husband interrupted this lecture and asked if there was a lift to which she replied "I was coming to that" - she then followed us to the lift lecturing us how we should book early and should not use booking.com - my husband pressed the door close at this point and left her!

We did eat in the restaraunt and the food was lovely but I am afraid we received rather poor service from the waiter as well who was clearly miffed that we had come into the restaruant at 8.30pm and we were made to feel less than welcome - the same treatment was given to the family that came in at 9.20pm (even though we were told it shuts @ 9.00pm).

On the plus side the Hotel room was very clean, modern and very comfortable and the breakfast was also excellent. I'm not sure that we would stay again though as we were made to feel like naughtly school children and not paying customers upon arrival.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Kettering, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

We arrived at this hotel with two small dogs on 29th September 2012. There was no problem with them and given a lovely large room with enormous bathroom at front of hotel. Our stay was trouble free with excellent evening dinner and fantastic buffet breakfast. Parking was not a problem as free car park is only a few steps away. Abbeville is a beautifull place .. lots of shops and cafe's. I must add that Beverley one of the receptionists was fantastic, very kind, helpfull and always a smile on her face. The hotel is very lucky to have her. We will be back with our two little white Maltese dogs which took a liking to her as well. Thank you Beverley for everything.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Horsham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

Staff made everything very easy. Room was quiet and comfortable. Although quite busy (restaurant full when we went for dinner) they gave estimate of 30 minutes for table availability, and kept to it. Came and found us in the bar when table ready, so good joined-up thinking! Helpful receptionist at check out ensured we had the best deal on our overnight stay. Convenient secure garage for car.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abbeville
Ibis Abbeville
#1 of 1 in Grand-Laviers
Les Corderies
Les Corderies
#1 of 7 in Saint-Valery-sur-Somme

Been to Mercure Abbeville Hotel de France? Share your experiences!