“An extraordinary program”

Coeur de France Ecole de Langues
More attraction details
Owner description: Coeur de France Ecole de Langues is a French immersion language school providing French instruction in Sancerre, France. Coeur de France specializes in programs for adults and families. Our French language programs are taught at all levels, in groups or private individual classes. Courses available from 1 week or as many as 8 weeks.Located just 2 hours south of Paris, access is easy via train or car. Classes are taught in 16th century chateau in Sancerre. Self-catering apartment accommodation is also available in the chateau and within a few minutes of school.Cultural excursions are a vital part of our program and include visits to castles, winetastings in Sancerre wineries, visits to goat cheese farms, French home-style cooking class. Nearby extracurricular activities in Sancerre include aerial tour of Loire Valley vineyards and castles, biking, horse riding, canoeing on Loire....
South Freeport, Maine
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“An extraordinary program”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

I spent an amazing week at Coeur de France at the end of April. The program exceeded my expectations and my "prof" Anne-Lise was able to adjust the program to my needs. I have a strong grasp of French but with many gaps and was looking for personal help, so I signed up for the one-one program. It was an intense experience but so worth the challenge. I learned a huge amount and at the end of the week wished I had signed up for the two-week program. The entire staff worked as a team, and I was very impressed by the supportive atmosphere. I worked very hard but had time to explore Sancerre, and I went on every excursion offered. Kudos to the team and to Marianne and Gerard Chartrand who have created a program that suits anyone from non-speaker to reasonably fluent student.

6 Thank Victoria D

Melbourne, Australia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Wonderful fortnight of French immersion for our young family”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Our Australian family of 2 adults and 3 children (aged 9, 7 and 4) had a wonderful fortnight at Coeur de France. The teaching was high quality, the staff extremely friendly and the village of Sancerre lovely. One week would simply not be enough to really progress in French but we found that our children got a lot out of two weeks. The lessons are well planned and our teacher quickly established our standards and needs. The extra curricula activities were also great - pronunciation sessions, cooking and excursions all in French. We have no hesitation in recommending this experience to other families. The accommodation was basic but comfortable. We hope to go again!

7 Thank SusannahT2604
Richmond, Virginia
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Amazing Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

I spent one week in a group class at the Coeur de France language school in April 2013. I booked my reservation almost a year in advance and stayed in the Gabriel studio just upstairs from the school The apartment was very well appointed and comfortable. It was nice just having to walk down the turret stairs to class each morning!

There were 5 of us in the intermediate class. Marianne Chartrand was the teacher. Gerard, her husband, manages that business side of the school and was very prompt responding to my emails. Gerard made the whole sign-up process very easy and effortless.

I can honestly say that I learned so much while in class, participating in the excursions that Coeur de France offered and from talking to my fellow students and other teachers. One thing that impressed me was that the other teachers at school also knew my name and were very engaging with me and all the other students. At the beginning of our first class, Marianne asked each of us in my class what our objectives were for the week. We received two textbooks, a cahier and a French English dictionary. This was included in the tuition. I had 4 hours of class a day with a short break and the time flew by. We instruction in grammar, conversation, pronunciation, listening skills, and vocabulary. While there, Sancerre was replacing water lines so we went with Marianne to a cafe on two occasions for part of the class to escape the noise outside the classroom windows. We were encouraged to speak French the whole time while there, and I am happy to say that my fellow students and I did! In fact, I feel quilty writing this review in French!

Sancerre is a nice quiet town. All the merchants were nice and polite and I especially enjoyed going to Le Lichon (the boulangerie across from the church). They have the best chocolates! There's a small Casino grocery store in town which had the basic provisions that I needed. There's also a nice sized Carrefour at the bottom of the hill and I walked there twice to have more of a selection of groceries. The climb back up the hill was steep, but certainly doable.

Coeur de France offered excursions (some were free and those that weren't were very reasonably priced) to degustations, a local market visit, a French soiree night, and a visit to a local cheverie. I didn't participate in all, but really enjoyed the ones I did do.

Overall, my experience with Coeur de France was better than I ever expected. I only stayed for one week and one of these days, I'm definatley planning on returning. Merci, Marianne and all the others for an over-the-top learning experience.

6 Thank Patricia T
Wellington, New Zealand
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Coeur de France language school”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

An excellent language learning experience in a delightful setting. The programme exceeded our expectations, especially in terms of how our teacher, Gwendoline, was able to cater for the needs of our beginner level 14 year old and for two adult intermediates. Classes were well planned, practical and enjoyable. We went for the "family class" option - much of the time in this given to our teenager, while we worked on exercises - this was fine.
Our accommodation - Belle Vue apartment - was comfortable, warm and well equipped. Spacious for a family of up to 5.
we would go back again and recommend this school to others.

4 Thank Kiwi C
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Mission accomplished!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

My children and I spent a week in Sancerre at the Coeur de France Ecole de Langues. We went with some very specific goals and our classes were very much tailored to ensuring that we met those goals. My 10 year old son did a petit one:one class to give him an intensive boost as he is trying to enter a bilingual stream at school next years. My 13 year old daughter and I did a "couples" class to enable both of us to improve our French. The classes were excellent with noticeable improvements in language and confidence every day. Beth, who taught my son, was an excellent teacher and very engaging. Laurie who taught my daughter and I had the added challenge of two students at quite different levels but coped with it very well; working with each of us individually as well as with the two of us together. Both children noted how quickly the classes passed which, with a 10 year old and 13 year old, is a testament to how good both teachers were. The early morning pronunciation classes were an added bonus and helped me to clear up some pronunciation mistakes that I was making. The wine tasting, dinner and chevrerie visits were activities worth doing and gave us a chance to meet and get to know some of the other students in the school. We were fortunate to be there at the same time as several other families who had children of similar ages which gave us all the opportunity to make some lovely new friends. We stayed in the La Fleur apartment which was both charming and very well equipped. One word of caution if you do rent this apartment - take small suitcases and bags as access to the apartment is via two quite narrow and steep flights of stairs.
Marianne and Gerard, the owners of the school have created a wonderful environment for learning French and by the end of the week, it felt more being part of a big family than attending a language school. It was a great experience and I am sure we will return.

2 Thank EvelynSimpson