“Terrific, authentic Italian pizza made in a wood-burning oven” 5 of 5 bubbles

La Collina
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Takeout
Ypsilanti, Michigan
“Terrific, authentic Italian pizza made in a wood-burning oven”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

Our fourth time vacationing and studying French in Sancerre was in May--we ate at La Collina several times as usual, and were not disappointed. Authentic, delicious pizza at a very reasonable price (we spent a week in Rome after our visit to France and ate pizza as good, but none better). The owner/chef is proud of his pizza and other cooking, and rightly so. We loved the Del Re pizza (artichokes and ham), the seafood pizza, and the plainer pizzas which allow the texture and flavor of the crust to shine through. The location (at the very base of the town's single remaining medieval tower) is lovely, and I think the owner isn't grumpy so much as a bit reserved and a bit unsure of his English. One night I was there he very graciously called a taxi for a stranded tourist who spoke no French, listened to her tale of woe, and translated for her to the taxi driver to ensure she got back to her friends...Yes, as other reviewers have noted, he gets busy at times--feel free to go to the counter and tell him you need "l'addition" politely. We will be back next time, for the price and the quality of the food, the relaxed atmosphere--and the sincere niceness of the chef/owner/waiter.

Definitely use the Italian chili oil if you like your pizza spicy/hot, and watch him make the pizzas...

• Visited May 2013

• Korean first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Good pizza, nice local atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

Kids and I were early but the owner/pizza maker/do it all guy let us in and got us drinks while he set up the wood pizza oven. Pizza is fresh dough, hand made and good simple ingredients. If you need more spice just ask for the chili oil.

The place filled up with a few locals and all were friendly. Good chocolate mousse for desert according to kids.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
France
“Delicious”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

I'm not pizza fan but was pleased to order a dish of grilled aubergine smothered in cheese. A tiny restaurant run single handed by the owner, except on weekends, I went because my classmates said the owner could be either grumpy or charming but either way the pizzas and food were good. Simple fare, reasonable prices, no muss or fuss and the owner was in a decent mood the night we were there!

Visited September 2012
Denver, Colorado, United States
“Dissappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

I, unfortunately, did not have a good experience. The chef who was, also, my waiter rushed my table through ordering and was not accomodating. He was, in fact, fairly rude about it. The food was great, but the service was lacking. He said he was very rushed and busy (he was the only one working the restaurant). I understand that but I was uncomfortable how he acted. My table decided to go to another restaurant as to not get in his way.

Visited August 2012
2 Thank Alison A
Winter Park, Florida
“Italian Delight”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2012

This is simple family food at it's best. The restaurant is run by Thomisino who many days is a one man show. Try the eggplant if he's making it. We eat here at least once a week when we visit Sancerre.

Visited May 2011