“Reasonable food, slow service, little English spoken and a bit bloody-minded” 3 of 5 stars
Review of La Ripaille

Cuisines: French
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Reasonable food, slow service, little English spoken and a bit bloody-minded”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

This is a small restaurant attached to a "hole-in-the-wall" creperie. Opening times are limited.

The restaurant is managed by "Sylvie" who was pleasant enough but was noticeably more friendly and attentive to her French customers. All of the food is based on crepes (pancakes) although the savoury versions are given a different name. My wife and I each had a different set menu - both of which started with a "Cocktail Ripaille".

As my wife is unable to drink alcohol, and I do not fancy the idea of wierd cocktail concoctions, we declined the cocktails and ordered drinks of lesser value. When the bill finally arrived (2.5 hours to eat a fairly modest meal) we were charged the full price for the set meals plus the cost of the replacement drinks.

I queried this with Sylvie and was told that as it was a set meal it made no difference to the price if we chose not to have the drinks. I lacked the French to argue that the drinks we had ordered were less expensive than her cocktails.

If this restaurant has a mission statement my suggestion is that it should be "Take it or leave it!"

This bloody-minded attitude was surprising considering this restaurant has a far more modest menu than most of its many competitors in this small town. The food was OK and the prices were reasonable, but the uncommercial attitude left a bad taste.

• Visited September 2012