“Please don't even think about staying here”

Days Inn New Market Battlefield
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in New Market
Reviewed September 27, 2008

My husband and I were on our honeymoon. We had stayed at a really nice bed and breakfast for a few days, and were enjoying our stay so much that we decided to find a hotel room to spend an extra night in VA. We had been in New Market most of the day and decided to just find a hotel there instead of driving around aimlessly at night to find a place. We figured a Days Inn would be a safe bet, right? WRONG. Trust me, we are not very picky people but this place was downright DISGUSTING. We slept in our clothes because the bedding was filthy. We didn't even get showers in the morning because they were nasty. Now, I am a person who enjoys camping and believe me when I tell you that showering outside in the middle of the woods would be preferable to being inside this hotel. Had it not been for the late hour and last minute decision we would have been out of there. The desk staff was rude, the breakfast was pathetic. I have nothing nice to say about this place. You couldn't pay me to stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2003, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Meesh233
There are newer reviews for Days Inn New Market Battlefield

Reviewed May 20, 2008

We stayed here on our way to Philly and NYC coming out of NC. Guys, this is an easy decision. Nothing fancy, no frills, just your basic stop-
over motel with a pool. I was very happy with this location, it was convenient to the highway and made a good "half-way" point for us. Exterior hallways make it convenient to get from our vehicle to the room, in and out quick. The pool was relaxing after many hours of driving.

The hotel is actually located on the site of a small battlefield and New Market as a town is very picturesque, quaint town and worth a quick drive-through visit (at least for dinner or fast food). The area is underdeveloped and very scenic with the mountains. If you're on your way somewhere you can't go wrong staying here. It was the nicest motel I saw in the area. Book it.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 29, 2008

When we arrived and opened the door, the smell was unbelievable. It smelled like an old wet dog. I sprayed hair spray through the room because I had no room deodorant, and then we left for awhile . Came back and still smelled like the family dog was in there.
Went to the refrigerator and someone else's stale piece of pizza was laying inside, unwrapped and shriveled up.
Went to the bathroom and someone else's dirty washcloth was draped across the shower curtain rod.
There was hair in the tub and mold all around.
The sink faucet kept falling apart and the hair dryer didn't work.
I called the manager and he said he would take care of it, but when we left, the pizza, the washcloth, the mold and the broken hair dryer was still there, along with the wet dog smell.
The free continental "breakfast" was disgusting. The bread was stale, there was cold boiled eggs, and the juice was so watered down that there was barely any color to it.
We have stayed in many, many hotels and motels, but this was by far the most disgusting place we have ever stayed.
When you are driving through New Market, KEEP DRIVING!!!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank docsgirl1956
Reviewed August 12, 2007

Traveling home tired and hungry from our journey we decided to stay here because it was quick access to and from the interstate. Unfortunately we wished we had kept going. While checking in we heard another guest complaining that her phone didnt work and the bathroom light was not working - we should have taken the hint to get back in the car and look for another hotel. We required two rooms, one for my husband and I and one for my 83 year old grandfather. The only rooms available were on the second floor with no elevator. Very dim staircase to our rooms with the railing on top wobbling. Upon entering we noticed how dark and dingy the rooms were. As mentioned earlier our bathroom light was out as well. The tub was black, the towel bar was hanging off the wall and the sheets were thin with filthy blankets. It was hot when we arrived so we turned the air on which was covered in thick dust. The curtains were hanging off the hooks as well. We also found unmentionables left from the previous guests. Needless to say, we slept fully clothed and with bathroom light on - which eventually came on after about 10 minutes of warming up. Not a restfull night - too worried about what might be crawling when I closed my eyes. I showered in the morning with a towel on the bottom of the shower. They did offer breakfast, but after what I had seen in the rooms - who could eat there? The nicest part of the hotel is the view of the mountains. Take our advice and head down the interstate to the next hotel!

• Stayed: August 2007
2  Thank wtbyct
Reviewed December 4, 2006

Clearly not the best motel I have ever stayed (but not the worst either). I stayed in July 2006, and our room was reasonably clean (not perfect), the amenities were adequate, in other words a very ordinary and average experience I suppose. The breakfast is very bare-bones -- donuts and bagels -- less than I have seen at other Days Inns. Although I did not have problems except for the manager being reluctant to apply my approved discount, others I observed did, and I noted at least two families that were very unhappy, though I cannot say why.

There are other motels in New Market, and a couple good B&Bs. The Days Inn will prove satisfactory if you had the experience I did, but other reviews point to frequent problems.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with friends
3  Thank xxrrttyy
Reviewed August 9, 2006

The good: Clean and good-sized outdoor pool
Low price

The bad: Breakfast selection was very limited and only went until nine
Manager refused to give us a discount that we were entitled to
Outdoor lights went on much too late, which made it dangerous to go up and down the stairs
Both of the ice machines didn't work
Skimpy flat pillows

Reviewed July 19, 2006

This was a nice motel, we had a room above the pool on the 2nd floor. There were plenty of rooms you could back up to your door, we just had the pool at ours, so we were some distance from our car. The pool was nice, just closed a little early (9pm). The next morning my wife went with the kids to get the breakfast, I asked her if she would just bring me back something to the room and the attendent told her you can't, you have to eat here. The motel is up on a hill overlooking New Market with a beautiful view of the mountains. The room was clean, maid service was good, no complaints, (only the breakfast).

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
The Cardinal Inn
The Cardinal Inn
#4 of 9 in Luray
Hampton Inn & Suites Woodstock

Been to Days Inn New Market Battlefield? Share your experiences!