“The Land of No”

Quality Inn Shenandoah Valley
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in New Market
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Had a reservation for a Sat night-- just a little get away. Arrived at 2:00 which on my reservation is listed as check in time. Things are going smoothly as the clerk checks me in until she consults her list of clean rooms and informs me that my room is not ready. OK so the hotel is pretty much empty at this time of day, can't you just assign me one of the rooms that is ready? No no no the hotel is full you will have to come back in an hour.

An hour later...is my room ready? No no no, so irate husband gets involved at this point demands is there any room ready? No no no. Funny, room was ready soon after irate husband sat in lobby complaining/commiserating with another couple in the same situation.

Finally in room. Room is fine, smells OK generally in good repair but A/C is a not very cold. This is a problem because it is 100 degrees out. Desk clerk comes to check out room (odd, no maintenance man on staff on a booked solid extremely hot SAT night no no no). I'll check and see if we had any cancellations he says so we can move you. Do I hear back from him? No no no. Finally go down to front desk to ask for cancellation as room gets hotter. Can you refund my points which I used to book the reservation? No no no you will have to leave and call Choice Hotels yourself he says and they will contact us to refund your points. Sure. I'm confident that will happen.

So as I'm standing there having this discussion another customer walks in, asks for a room and funny thing, there are rooms available. Do't you think I would like one of those rooms with a
working A/C? Oh, he didn't offer me that because it is a smoking room. Lets see, smoking room with A/C or non-smoking room that's 98 degrees?

Finally I am given a room with a working A/C. It smells like air freshener but that's OK. All I wanted was to get a working room at check in time. I don't appreciate that I had to argue, fight, and cajole to get what I reserved. Customers should be treated with appreciation, not as an annoyance.

The hotel itself is an older property--probably dating back to the seventies. The room are reasonably up to date. The TV reception is so-so. Soudproofing between the rooms is good and water pressure in the shower was excellent. There is a very nce, large pool that I enjoyed very much.

I think the front desk staff could use sone serious training in customer service. As we were leaving we overheard another guest complain about the condition of her room. There was no effort whatsoever from front desk to apologize or in anyway even acknowledge her complaint. How about a simple "I'm sorry I'll let houskeeping know that needs to be corrected". No no no.

Although we eventually got into a comfortable room, based on my customer service experience
would I reccomend this hotel to a friend? No no no.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Quality Inn Shenandoah Valley

Reviewed June 10, 2012

This was a typical Quality Inn, older, but clean. The HVAC system was noisy and would have been improved with a thermostat controlled fan. The bed was comfortable as well as the furniture. Some of the TV channels were not very clear. The food at the Johnny Appleseed Restaurant for breakfast was good and service was excellent. We stayed in room 146 and had a problem with the electrical outlet in the bathroom. My e-reader was damaged and my hot air brush was destroyed after being plugged into this outlet. I reported the problem to the main desk. They had their maintenance man check it out but reported to me that the outlet was working properly. Thankfully the local Barnes & Noble employees were able to replace my e-reader battery (fried) with a used one at no cost and I purchased a new hot air brush for less than $20, so no great loss resulted. The front desk employee did apologize to me for my inconvenience, but no one offered any compensation or "owned" any responsibility for this problem. We would probably stay here again as it was all in all worth the money.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Stayed here on 5/19/2012 for one night on a business trip. This is one of the worst hotels I have seen in a long time. Avoid this dump.

Negatives include:

1. Lobby smelled strongly of cigarette smoke when I checked in.
2. Decor is way out dated. Looks like a time warp back to the 70s.
3. Room was dirty and musty.
4. Furniture was uncomfortable to sit on.
5. Several of the room lights did not work.
6. Loud AC unit but the buttons were so dirty I was afraid to touch it to turn it off.
7. Bright lights outside the room and big gaps between the drapes meant that room was bright enough to read all night long.
8. People were sitting in the hall at night drinking whiskey from a bottle, playing cards, smoking, and singing.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank jwc3
Reviewed May 21, 2012

The bed was very comfortable, but that was about the extent of our satisfaction with this hotel. Curtain lining was old and cracked, in the morning sunlight came in and looked like stars in the evening sky. Everything needed to be replaced - carpet, bedspreads. TV bad reception. Staff very friendly. Restaurant breakfast was good and inexpensive. For the condition of the room, I was surprised for the room rate.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kathy C
Reviewed May 19, 2012

Smelly. Bugs in the bathroom. Slept for a few hours and got out ASAP. Avoid.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 6, 2012

We stopped by on 5/4/12 after a long 6hr drive. We got into our room and it smelled old and stale. I went to turn on the AC and it sounded like it was on its last leg. It looked like it was 30 yrs old and did not give out any cold air. I called the front desk and the manager said he would get there when he could. It was over an hour till he came and he said he could not do anything about the AC. So I suggested about another room because of the AC not working and the bathroom was dirty also. He said he would check to see what they had but he had to walk down to the lobby and see what they had. So there we sit waiting more!!!! I asked him if he can give us something off of the bill for the inconvience and he said his manager said no! This was my worst hotel experience and I will never stay at a Quality Inn again! The beds are uncomfortable also!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank bob g
Reviewed April 26, 2012

My husband and I were traveling through and needed an affordable, pet friendly hotel. I've stayed in Quality Inns before and had good experiences. This one was pet friendly ($10 per dog) and we had a coupon. Plus, my husband likes a nearby restaurant so we rented a room. The lobby looked nice - the front desk clerk was polite and they honored the rate on the coupon. I requested a non-smoking room which I got (sort of).

When we got into the room, the smell was...not good. Although it was marked non-smoking there was a stale cigarrate odor and there were cigarrette burns through the bedspread. It smelled more like a dog kennel/ vet office than a hotel room. Strangely, the hallway stunk as well and needed a good vacuum.

It was tolerable for one night and with taxes, coupon rate, and pet fee, it was less than $70.00 but next time I will stay elsewhere!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Best Western Intown Luray
The Cardinal Inn
The Cardinal Inn
#4 of 9 in Luray

Been to Quality Inn Shenandoah Valley? Share your experiences!