“The best meal I've had!”

Restaurant Belle Vue
Ranked #2 of 44 Restaurants in Wissembourg
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We spent a night in the lovely village of Wissembourg. Based on the reviews we'd read, we had to do dinner here. Did it live up to the expectation!!! We reserved a table (not needed due to low season and rain that day) to ensure we'd not be turned away. Service was impeccable from the beginning to end. Most employees spoke a bit of English (and of course German) so we were able to communicate well and understood the French and German language menu. My wife had a vegetable soup that was creamy and buttery, along with zander fillet fish, capped off with my dessert of apple crumble. I had the "menu decouverte" (the discovery menu) that began with broiled shrimp over salad (I hate salad; I loved this salad along with the shrimp), followed by Bambi tenderloin with spatzel (the spatzel was a tad overcooked but still tasty) and marinated shredded cabbage (similar to sauerkraut but not as sour or vinegary), and finished off with my wife's creme brullee. This was my first time eating venison and I loved it! The creme brullee was missing the nice crust of cooked sugar but the taste was very good and the appearance was nice (it was served aflame burning off the kirschwasser liquor).

The discovery menu was Euro 45. This is not a cheap meal but you are hard pressed to find a better restaurant. There are many restaurants in Wissembourg (we lunched at a tiny place in town) but the 5 minute drive to Altenstadt is worth the food pleasure.

Go, you won't be disappointed

1  Thank travelmeisteren

Reviewed September 18, 2012

We went here last week based largely on the reviews here. It would have been slightly easier to eat at our hotel (Belle Vue is 5 min. south of town in the Altenstadt section) but this place seemed to edge out our hotel by a bit - and it did. I had made email reservations 10 days earlier but they weren't necessary as the place was less than half full. The reception was nothing short of enthusiastic and the food both reasonably priced and very very good. If you go then also try to get by St. Ulrich's church, less than a kilometer away, an 11th century Romanesque structure which is arguably the oldest place of worship in Alsace. Also the local Cleebourg wines, particularly the pinot gris, are quite good.

1  Thank DEAinATL
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Belle-Vue is perhaps one of the finest restaurants in the Alsace region. Late on Sunday we stop by this restaurant. We were the last client of the day. We ordered some wine and food. What a surprise: it was one of the best meals of our stay in Alsace. If you're staying in Strasbourg, it may be worth taking a trip to this place just do enjoy a fine and friendly place.

2  Thank gasparSaoPaulo
Reviewed October 11, 2011

High class Restaurant with excellent food and wines with excellent service.

1  Thank Rondendans
Reviewed September 12, 2011

This restaurant is a gem. You can easily drive by it as it's located on a traffic circle corner. Parking is in the back. Staff was very attentative and spoke French, German and English. The garden was nicely done as was the decor inside. A reservation is highly recommended, especially as winter approaches and the garden will close. Considering the cuisine, service and ambiance the prices were very reasonable.

1  Thank jrfsr