“great views great museum”
Review of Yser Tower

Yser Tower
Ranked #2 of 21 things to do in Diksmuide
Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

a cold December does not suggest a good time to visit this tower but the but is staggering the exhibitions give a great insight into the struggle of the Flemish people and the staff are friendly, helpful and knowledgeable.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

This tower and museum is dedicated to no more war. The view from the top is outstanding. You then will go down through many displays about World War I, World War II, War in General, and the struggle of the Flemish speaking people in French dominated Belgium. If you are in Diksmuide, it is worth seeing.

1  Thank vatravlers
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Mij Vlaanderen Land. As a true Fleming every year when I come back to Flanders Fields I come to see "my" tower of Peace. Looking over Flanders Fields and the River Ijzer makes me feel at home even though I live in the Scottish Highlands. This year we also went to see the Dodengang some 2-3km away along the river.

Reviewed June 8, 2012

The first one with its 50 meters was built in 1930 but blown up illegally in 1946. The flemish movement liked the original art deco tower so much, they decided to go for a remake by Robert Van Averbeke. This time, they went for 84 meters and built it between 1952 and 1965. And yes, its style is more art deco than modernist, with bricks covering the entire concrete structure in the shape of a provoking cross. But it's not all about history. ;-)
There's also no better observation desk to find if you want to overview 'le plat pays qui est le mien' sung by famous Jacques Brel.

1  Thank ArtDecoooooooooooooo
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Yesterday, we went to Diksmuide. Although not that far from where I live, I was somewhat forgotten how nice this place is. You can rent a go-cart for multiple persons, which we did to drive around. We have visited the Ysertower, followed by a boat trip on the Yser, which is really nice! Other possibilities are paintball, have a good meal, ... I really would like to recommend Diksmuide and its tourist activities, organized by buitenbeentje bvba (http://www.buitenbeentjebvba.be/buitenbeentje/)