“Good Food and service”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 12, 2012

A nice variation of country and new cuisine. Very pleasant staff and prompt service in a comfortable atmosphere

Reviewed August 5, 2012

Went to Rose & Crown on a recommendation, when we got there found it to be a nice place inside. We were seated and then the waiting began. I did see there was a large party but our waitress was not serving them, so I find it hard to believe that we could not be taken care of in resonable time. We got the Rose and Crown Chips which were very good, but we realized there was supposed to be a dipping sauce which we did not get. I got sliders which were ok and my wife got chicken salad sandwich and fried green tomatoes, which she said was ok. I also noticed everyone got a small dish of spoon bread which some how we did not get which I thought that it was complimentary since I saw everyone else in the resturant get that except for us. Also a male who I belive to be the manager of the place was walking around and only went to the large group and a table next to mine to check and see how things were going. He looked at me several times but never said a word. It took the waitress a good 10 minutes or more to get our check and bring it to us, luckily I had cash to cover the check because I am sure I would still be there if I gave here a credit card to use.

Reviewed June 30, 2012

The food is good, especially the spoon bread and it has a very nice traditional feel. I believe the food is slightly overpriced so I wouldn't make it a regular stop, but would suggest for a nice evening out.

Reviewed June 26, 2012

For the second time in as many months we visited the Rose and Crown and for the second time we had to find a table ourselves after standing in the lobby for at least 10 mins. Tables were plentiful, its not like they were busy.
Last night, it took 25 mins to get a glass of water and over 45 minutes until the menu arrived. Food when it eventually arrives is divine. The waitress (one) is overworked and sloppy at times) The owner swans around while the poor girl is run ragged - that is of course until a USAF person walks in in uniform where upon the owner becomes his personal server. Yes he got his meal before us mere mortals.

Food is tasty, and plentiful, Expect to spend at least 2.5 hours on a weekday evening though. Service is terrible - or at least come in uniform :)

Reviewed June 24, 2012

We opted for dinner here rather than eating the overpriced, mediocre food at Colonial Downs racetrack. First impressions were good, with a mixture of old and new decor. We were seated in the bright, modern room at the back. A few more pictures would enhance the minimal decor. Our main complaint was the noise. The few couples who were dining conversed quietly, but the staff only spoke to one another in loud voices which reverberated throughout the whole restaurant. There was absolutely nothing to absorb the sound. The small bar was occupied by locals who again had loud voices encouraged by the waitstaff who were, at times, enthusiastically socializing with the customers. The cinnamon flavored spoon bread served with our drinks was a delicious southern touch. My husband ordered the meatloaf, only to be told there was none left. It was only 5.45pm! He changed to the fried chicken which was just OK. The fried okra was delicious, the mashed potatoes were tasteless and bland. He suspects they were made from instant potato mix. My chicken salad plate with a croissant was perfect for a hot summer evening. Served with fresh fruit, sliced tomatoes, cucumber, crisp spinach leaves and a hard boiled egg half, the chicken salad was plentiful and creamy. There were a variety of items on the main menu and it would be interesting to try those in the future. Being an Anglo-American I would be interested to try the "pub grub". We would return for the food and the pretty drive out into the country, in the hopes that the waitstaff have been educated to communicate between themselves in a more professional manner.