All reviews sigmund freud charming hotel half board stunning views train station old style nice cafe piece of history breakfast and dinner come home personal touch course meal ski boots johanna furniture sauna mountains
Selected filters
Reviewed March 8, 2019 via mobile

Thanks to the owners Christof, his wife Johatan and all their team for such a great level of service and hospitality! It was a pleasure to spend our skiing vacations living at your hotel. Causy atmosphere, unique interior, tasty food, super carying personel and totally stress-free as every detail is taken care of.

And thanks to my wonderful girlfriend for picking such a great place for our amazing holiday :)

Date of stay: March 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 11, 2018

Sigmund Freud was a frequent guest. Lore has it that he fell down some steps. And lots of steps there are since it is built on a steep hillside like most of Bad Gastein. The owners, husband and wife, are directly involved, he at the front desk (also helping with luggage) and she as the chef, and an excellent chef she is. They are responsible for the wonderful feeling of hospitality. The rooms are completely clean with all modern conveniences plus period furniture. The public rooms are cozy, warm and inviting with period furniture. Bathrooms are modern.

Date of stay: November 2018
Reviewed September 30, 2018

Stayed in the hotel in Feb 2018. Everything about it is amazing, starting from the owner who meets guests and helps to serve in the restaurant and ending with the location -- great opportunity to walk. It's not located close to lifts so you'd need to use a free transfer (5 mins ride).

Date of stay: February 2018
Reviewed September 8, 2018

This is a historical hotel, very close (certainly walking distance) to the centre of Bad Gastein. It has several merits, including that the famous psychoanalyst Sigmund Freud used to stay here, at the time. This was of a particular interest to me, as I have read several of his works, which I highly admire. However, apart from the mention of his name, the hotel does not really 'focus' on Freud.

Apart from this, the welcome was warm, the breakfast fine and the bathroom in order. A baby-crib was set up with no extra costs. However, there are a few things I liked a bit less. For example, the elevator system is a bit unusual, and does not reach all the floors. This is slightly unpractical with, say, a stroller. Secondly, several of the items in the hotel (for example, chairs) seem rather worn. This is one occasion where I would say, with the author of Il Gattopardo (Tomasi Di Lampedusa) that 'for everything to stay the same, everything must change'. Also, I wouldn't place carpets on carpeted floors, place a life-size doll in front of a musical instrument and, in several spaces, the furniture is very eclectic.

This said, in one regard, the hotel is exceptional: dinner is delicious, abundant (with always a vegetarian option) for a more than reasonable price. I would return for this alone. The salads were very tasty. The waiters are very friendly, and the interaction between guests cordial.

We are grateful for the good time we had in Bad Gastein and hope to return someday.

Room tip: We stayed in the most economical rooms, on the upper floor.
Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2018

We booked here last minute same day for a one night stay for 2 adults and an 11 year old child. There were no rooms for 3 available so we split up. The "boys" had one room and I took the single...was I lucky!! When the amazingly nice owner showed me to my room I saw that on the door it said "Dr. Freud" - I asked why and he told me that this was his actual room when he stayed here for the summers for 7 years!!! OMG! he also indicated that if I should have strange dreams I now know why ;-) What a lovely room with a small terrace with an AMAZING view. So elegent, such a travel back in time and an actual piece of history.
The owner was so very nice - from helping us with getting there (he actually jumped in our car when we took a wrong turn and rode with us to the hotel), to carrying our luggage, to doing everything possible at the hotel and ALL with a smile and good cheer. He cares and it shows!
Breakfast was lovely as was dinner (great price for a 3 course meal in elegance with a view!!). My son enjoyed the pool.
Will be back and highly recommend this special Villa.

Date of stay: August 2018