“Great atmosphere & good food, but just be clear on how you want your steak done”
Review of Steak und Mehr

Steak und Mehr
Ranked #5 of 66 Restaurants in Bad Gastein
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
London
Reviewed January 31, 2012

Four of us went for dinner here in late January, with mixed results. Being vegetarian, I was resigned to the idea of having chips & salad whilst the 3 meat eaters in my company gorged themselves. This was not to be the case though as they do cater to vegetarians, and I had an interesting vegetable 'hash brown' pancake which I enjoyed. Of the 3 meat eaters, one tried the meat fondue done with soup which he found tasty and novel as you cook it yourself on the table beside you, and the other two had normal steak dishes. One of our party ordered a well done steak and it came too bloody for her to want to stomach, so she sent it back to get cooked a bit longer. Unfortunately, this meant they threw away the whole of her meal (the rest of which she was enjoying) and she then had to wait quite some time before being served another. They did, however, not charge her for her meal by way of compensation. The third meat eater was happily satisfied, stating it was a really good steak. I really liked the layout of this restaurant, with the smoking section downstairs and the non-smoking upstairs. Austria can be annoying with its policy concerning smoking in restaurants and this place bucks the trend in that regard. The blood red and white decor suited the theme of the place perfectly and was very pretty. The staff were extremely friendly and tried very hard, although did seem a little 'under the pump' at times. We asked for a recommendation on the wine and were delighted with their suggestion. The free schnapps at the end of every meal was a really nice touch. After dinner we walked across the road to have a flutter at the Casino. I would recommend this place, but just be very clear about how your want your steak cooked.

3 Thank lokifluff

• Finnish first
  • Polish first
Halifax, United Kingdom
“Good Steaks”
Reviewed January 22, 2012

I had the Rump Steak and my wife the tournedos of beef. Both were fantastic. I asked for my steak blue and whilst it came somewhere between blue and rare it was still good (and better than the normal medium rare you get in some places).

Portion size good and a schnapps at the end for those having steak...nice touch

Visited January 2012
1 Thank DrDougieEvil
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Good food poor service”
Reviewed January 21, 2012

This was a bit of a mixed bag for us.
The quality of the food was very high, in my case one of the best steaks I have eaten for a long time. However the service was poor – we waited around half an hour for our food after waiting 15 minutes to order. It was pretty obvious that there were not enough waiting staff and I suspect that the kitchen was under pressure too.

1 Thank 1Roger
Oslo, Norway
“good food, stressed waiters and a dog at the next table”
Reviewed January 4, 2012

Best food we have tasted in Bad Gastein after three days stay. Other places serve too salty food! We are surprised that the next table were allowed to have a dog and let it eat from the plate at the table.

Stockholm, Sweden
“An unmitigated distaster, avoid at all costs”
Reviewed March 29, 2011

Having booked a seat for dinner, late in the season, we ordered the mix plate and a steak, both with fries. As is common in Austria, no sauce is served with the meat so we ordered a side of Bearnaise. Most of the meat in the mix plate was incredibly overdone, all the fries in both of our meals were burned (dark brown, not black - overfried) and the sauce was an utter failure. When we tried to reason with the staff we were unceremoniously thrown out!

Steaks & Mehr is one of the worst restaurants I've visited across five continents and ranging from street food to multiple Michelin stars. Avoid it at all costs, instead I can recommend Lutter & Werner across the street which is very pleasant, has excellent food and is similarly priced.

• Visited March 2011