“Great base for touring area around Granada and Masaya, etc...”
Review of Hotel Granada

Hotel Granada
Ranked #23 of 45 Hotels in Granada
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Overall, the hotel was great. Lovely old colonial style with newly redone rooms. Obviously new bedding, furniture, etc...but nice that they kept to the old style. Pool was lovely, but oo many kids during the day! Location was great...slightly out of the loud hustle and bustle of the busy section but still within easy walking distance. Unfortunate was that while it was a huge room and bathroom, the back view was of a roof of another part of the hotel and the front was of a construction area and road. Also, the ceiling in the shower looked as if it hadn't been swept out in weeks...spiders and dust webs abound, and the towels were not only limited in number but need to be upgraded. Overall, a great room and hotel with good value, especially for the size of the room, but needs a tad more attention to detail in the bathroom/shower specifically.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 2RoamingGnomies

Reviewed August 26, 2012

Nice room, beautiful grounds, and a lovely breakfast buffet, The bad: no hot water in our bath. Management did not offer to move us nor any credit for the inconvenience. And the pool is lovely but with all of the locals using it, not so relaxing.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 20, 2012

This is a good hotel for rest during the weekend, the location is perfect as local attractions are very close. It has been renewed since our last visit two years ago. Colonial style is great, clean pool area. Breakfast was very good, it has inproved over the last two years.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 15, 2012

This is a nice hotel in colonial style close to the center of Granada. There are also a lot of restaurants nearby.
The rooms where a bit dark.
The swimming pool was big and clean.
Breakfast was very nice.
They also have free internet on a computer in the main hall.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Granada, Nicaragua is very beautiful colonial town in Nicaragua. Compared to the rest of the country it oozes culture, so it was no wonder my wife and I decided it would be a nice place to celebrate our anniversary. Check-in gave us a nice impression. The pool is truly awesome. The old, colonial style gives a nice feel. You can tell that this place was an amazing place when it was originally built as a Fort back in Spanish Colonial days. It even has a dining room that literally brings you back to the days when Spanish soldiers and aristocrats dined there. The conference rooms also were well made and gave a great feel.

BUT

Day 1 entering the room
- two towels only, no hand towels.
- I need another pillow...no number to call front desk, so I walked down and asked. Two hours later... where's my pillow? I went to ask. The man at the front desk went home for the night. Asked again, and waited... and waited. Finally someone knocked. Finally!
-Wall sockets didn't work. I had to plug in my phone from the TV plug.
-The bed lamps did not work, wither one.
-The shower curtain was moldy and had leftover shower gel from whoever stayed here before. Eeek!
-I got an allergy from the bed cover. Itchy eyes and all.
-There was hot water, but some weird electric under-the-sink device that just would not be consistant. The shower was either scalding or, the other extreme, as cold as a someone touching an aluminum beverage can against your back. So, how about a bath? The temperature worked out that way but the drain plug didn't fit so it just drained. Please!!!
-the decorations were kind of interesting, fountains and old cattle troughs. Oh yeah, and wild life. I got to see a pool of mosquito larvae bubbling up maggots... in the dining room. Wow, that was impressively sad!

Day 2 - Breakfast
The food was alright, extremely Nicaraguan. Not that it'a bad, just rice and beans with a fried egg.
-Oh, no drinking water available with breakfast. No wonder kidney disease is so prevalent in Nicaragua. Finally a kind waiter went to the other side of the hotel and got me a glass out of a drinking fountain.
-I needed towels, front desk again. Nada. I stopped a maid. She said she'd go and get it. I took a nap, got up, watched TV and then the towels came... about 2 hours later.
- I needed to get my car out of the parking lot. Easy, right? Well, I should have known. The guys with the key was somewhere else. They couldn't locate him. The head manager had to come out and search around. Come on, guys!!!

In the end I got a deal on the rooms, half price. Apparently, business has been slow these days (wonder why?) So having paid a relatively small price of $50 a night I felt compelled to be a bit forgiving. Overall, I'm never coming back. So, if you have the slightest bit of pickiness when it comes to hotels, stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BenjaminScreenName
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Initially, I emailed Hotel Granada letting them know that we would arrive on July 5th and that we would like to reserve 3 rooms on July 5th and 6th for our dental team of 6. They wrote back letting us know that the rates I sent back to them are online rates only and that they could make the reservation for us at a higher rate or we could make the reservations ourselves online. So, I made the reservation letting them know again that we would arrive on July 5th but mistakingly asked for reservations for June 5th and 6th. There was no further correspondence that might have asked for clarification in the dates.

When we arrived at Hotel Granada, they told me that we didn't have any reservation s. I presented the email confirmation at which time they told me that our reservation was for June 5th - 6th. I looked at the email confirmation again. It stated that we would arrive on July 5th and stated reservations for June 5th - 6th. No one on our team noticed the differeneces on the dates. I guess I just saw July 5th at the top of the form and didn't confirm the rest. Still don't know why the person handling reservations did not request clarification on the dates.

At first, they stated that it was our fault and that there was nothing that could be done. After asking at least twice if there were rooms available, 3 rooms appeared for the 5th but none were available for the 6th and no refund...almost $300! We took the room with hopes that there would be cancellations the next day.

That afternoon and the next day, I shared our story with 2 different types of tour guides. They strongly stated that Hotel Granada needed to work something out for us...that they had a responsibility to do that. The morning of the 6th...no rooms available. Pm on the 6th, asked again...still no. Asked to talk the the manager...out of town. After a minor threat, I was offered the opportunity to talk to the chief accountant. The chief accountant came out and talked to me offering to put us up in another hotel at their cost on the 6th.

Thank you Hotel Granada for putting up with my persistance and for working with us. I believe that we both were at error, but you made it right. You do have a nice hotel, amazing structure with a great pool , quiet rooms and an excellent breakfast! Thanks so much again for taking care of us!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Our stay began with confusion. Our reservation email said we'd be arriving July 5, and later down the form said we wanted rooms for June 5, 6, and 7th for our dental team of 6 people. Reception said they had no reservations until we produced a copy of the email. Then we were told they could give us a room for the 5th of July but the hotel was full on the 6th and 7th, and there would be no refund. After making plans to stay at another hotel, we were told by several locals we should ask to speak with the manager. The manager was out of town, but the senior accountant arranged for rooms at a different hotel, and the staff was very helpful, providing transportation of all our luggage gratis.

All in all, the hotel was nice, the pool wonderful, breakfast very nice. Lesson: if something isn't right, it may pay to persist in asking for adjustment. Hotel Granada stepped up and made it right! ;-)

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends