“Best Hotel in Granada”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Central America
“Best Hotel in Granada”
Reviewed August 26, 2008

I have stayed in many hotels in Granada and this is the best by far. Room, food, service, and location would make this a great hotel to stay in. The room price was also something that would make me return in the future.

• Liked — Everything in my room was according my greatest expectation
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Turkish first
Miami. Fl.
Reviewed August 20, 2008

We stayed at one of the rooms facing the park, very comfortable room with a huge balcony that we enjoyed very much. Very clean and neat, the staff and management are very hospitable. Highly recommend it.

Stayed August 2008
Westlake Village
Reviewed August 19, 2008

Our son, Matt, who spent 2 years in Nicaragua in the Peace Corps told us about this new and very clean hotel in the classic city of Granada. My wife and I weren't disappointed in the least. The hotel manager, Maria Isabel, was very gracious as was the entire staff. We had a balcony room overlooking the square which was great for sight seeing especially around "cocktail hour" time. The rooms were spacious, beds were comfortable and the air-conditioning forced us to use blankets at night. Our experience at this fine hotel and the surrounding restaurants was every bit as enjoyable as Morgans Rock where we stayed another three nights. It's simply very nice and the staff couldn't have been more helpful............even the Budget car rental girl was very cordial and reliable.

Dick & Jan
Westake Village, CA

• Liked — Friendly staff, clean accommodations, great location, structurally quaint
  • Disliked — everything was fine
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Adelaide
Reviewed August 19, 2008

Normally I would write "a charming old building on the edge of the city square, nicely renovated as a boutique hotel 3.5 stars or 4 stars".

Except this place deserves five stars. Why, not because of the building (although it is charming) or the fact that it was by far the cleanest hotel I have seen in Central America (much cleaner than the five star western chain hotels in Costa Rica for example).

It is the service. This place made everything so easy. The normal problems just did not exist. I had paid in Cash (with a special cash rate) and when I had problems with my bank they refunded my cash and allowed me to pay on credit card without any extra fee. They gave me my breakfast before I checked in because I was leaving before breakfast the next day. All in all the staff were amazing.

Add that to a charming building with clean modern rooms and a great location and you have a winner.

• Liked — Clean modern rooms, lovely old building with great service
  • Disliked — Business facilities were a bit limited but in the location this is by no means unusual.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
Managua
Reviewed August 19, 2008

We have stayed in plenty of hotels around Nicaragua, and Plaza Colon was simply one of the best hotels in the country and the best of Granada. Its superb location, comfortable rooms and great people make it a obligatory stay in town. The fine details and craftsmanship of its design reflect the high quality of the place, and of the stay. One appreciates staying in well mantained place, with an environment that replicates very well the feeling of culture an tradition one seeks outside its doors.

• Stayed August 2008
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed August 3, 2008

HOTEL REVIEW# 151

MY TRAVEL STYLE: If possible, I try to stay away from business and strongly prefer resorts that resemble the Four Seasons, Aman, and Oberoi but try to find similar properties at lower cost. I seek out the “wow” experiences and I encourage you to view hotels I have stayed at and their respective reviews (by clicking on my name).

BEST WAY TO GET THERE: We paid $30 USD for a taxi from Managua airport to Granada (45 mins).

LOCATION: Excellent. In the heart of the town and in the main square.

TYPE OF ROOM:

Standard Double.

BED/SHEETS/PILLOW: Beds were comfortable but not exceptional. Sheets were short of luxurious but were fine. Pillows were thin enough to be comfortable but not down.

LIGHTING: Adequate lighting in bedroom and bathroom.

BATHROOM/SHOWER: Bathroom was not beautiful and had a formica counter top. The shower had very strong pressure but a terrible nozzle that sprayed water out too wide to be enjoyable. Water could be made hot if desired.

TOILETRIES: Nothing special, probably best to bring your own.

CLEANLINESS: Room is very clean.

A/C: Quickly and quietly would get the room cool.

STYLE OF ROOM: Standard hotel looking room, nothing special. There is very little natural light in the room since there were tiny windows and they couldn’t be opened unless you opened the doors that contained the windows.

COMMON AREA: Nice courtyard with a decent small pool.

QUIET/MORNING LIGHT: Our room was next to a disco that played loud music most of the night. All morning light could be blocked with the shutter over the tiny windows.

FOOD: Breakfast is terrible. Cold precooked eggs, bad coffee, and a choice of corn flakes and decent granola with warm milk. Rice and beans were also provided.

TV/INTERNET: TV was of good size and had many English stations. There is wireless (not working at the time) and wired internet provided at no cost and is of average speed.

SERVICE: Staff were always very friendly and helpful.

SUMMARY: I checked out the Malinche which I thought had a nicer common area but people say the rooms are smaller. Gran Francisco also looked around just as nice. Casa San Francisco gets great TripAdvisor reviews but it was definitely the least impressive. I think that the Plaza Colon is a good place to stay but they lack the details to make it an excellent hotel.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Terrible breakfast
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank TravelSnob1
Bermuda
Reviewed July 27, 2008

First, let me say, Hotel Plaza Colon, thank you for a great stay we had with you a few weeks ago. Your hotel helped us have wonderful memories of Nicaragua.

Traveling with 3 young kids (12, 10, 7) can sometimes be difficult, but not at Plaza Colon.
1. They let all 5 of us use a single room, unlike many other hotels that required 2 rooms. It was one overlooking the Plaza, with a gorgeous balcony.
2. The facilities were lovely - what a nice swimming pool for the kids in the inside patio.
3. Can't say enough about the helpful staff - They were ready whenever we needed anything - laundry: they had it done for us same day for a reasonable price; van to San Jorge to get to Ometepe: a quick call and they had it arranged.
4. Breakfast was big and filling -- the standard breakfast you get everywhere around Nicaragua, eggs, Gallo y pinto, fruit (delicious fresh of all types), bread....
5. The business center is airconditioned and has internet access free. Hope you don't need it, but it's there and handy.

Only one thing -- and I would not call this a criticism as I face the same thing everywhere -- for the jet lagged morning person who needs a 4 or 5 a.m. cup of coffee, you will have a hard time in Granada. I had to take a walk down into the working streets where ladies start selling it from little thermoses they carry for about 25 cordobas (5 cents?). It is presweetened and already has milk, which I guess is there custom, but boy, it is caffeine when you need it. But, try to have exact change. If the hotel had one of those little coffee pots with some coffee, I'd have been in heaven. But, by 7 am, the hotel has their breakfast and coffee ready for everyone, so no biggy for the normal tourist.

Again, thank you Hotel Plaza Colon!
Roberto