“Best Hotel in Granada”

Hotel Plaza Colon
Ranked #2 of 45 Hotels in Granada
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 24, 2013

My wife and I have stayed here on four different occasions over the past several years, following a week in Chinandega where our arrangements in Chinandega did not include a private room or bath, no hot water, nor air conditioning, so you could understand why we were instantly spoiled at the Plaza Colon. Here we feel clean, cool and relaxed and the staff does everything it can to make our stay enjoyable. The point is that such amenities and elegance in hotels in this country are few and far between. This stay was for three nights and we had a balcony room overlooking the park. It is always a pleasure to watch the morning activities unfold in the park from our balcony in the morning and the park being put to bed at night. We were there during the week following La Purisima, but still there are usually fireworks, parades and other celebrations at this time of the year. The breakfast is great with traditional Nica food like Gallo Pinto in addition to standard breakfast fare. I had never eaten passion fruit before....they are akin to what we called "may-pops" in Georgia, USA but we never ate them because we either threw them at each other or stomped them to make the pop. I asked the eggs-to-order cook if they would be having Nacatamals the next morning and said they would not. We were surprised the next morning to be served Nacatamales. Maria Isabel Canton is always a pleasure to speak with and Virginia set up our return taxi ride to the airport in Managua along with a prepared breakfast to go since we had to leave a 5 a.m. Carlos, Victor and all the staff are most gracious and helpful. The rooms and baths are spacious and very comfortable. It is a great location to navigate from to any point in Granada. Great for English speaking travelers. I see the Hotel Plaza Colon is ranked #3 in Granada. It may not be the highest ranked, but it certainly should be ranked the "Finest" hotel in Granada.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms overlooking the park are great for people watching as well as observing and learning...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 11, 2013

I stayed three nights, and I loved the place. Awesome breakfast, and the swimming pool is stunning. The location is unbeatable, since it is in front of the main square. Very big rooms. The receptionist and employees are super well trained and they know how to treat guests.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank pepsimax25
Reviewed December 9, 2013

I spent three nights here, as my first stop in Nicaragua. The location is wonderful, right next to the main square, and a very easy place from which to navigate. The staff is very friendly and helpful, I espeically enjoyed talking with the breakfast staff. They all spoke English, but appreciated and/or humored my attempt to converse in Spanish! (sidenote: I would reccomend brushing up on your Spanish before travelling to Nicaragua. While not completely neccesary, it certainly made travel easier and more comfortable). The bed in the room is very comfortable, and the use of a small fridge was a nice benefit. The bathroom and sitting area out back were also clean and large. The bar in the hotel is reasonably priced and the views from the terrace cannot be beat. My only complaint about the hotel is that we had a room on the first level and it got very loud at breakfast time. You could hear all of the dishes being set up and cleared, as well as hearing others come and go. It wasn't enough to make me not want to visit here again, but if you had the option to stay upstairs, I think your sleep quality would be better.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DCMcG
Reviewed December 8, 2013

I stayed here for one night on my way out of Nicaragua after departing the Jicaro Eco-lodge. The hotel is right on the main square in Granada. The staff were friendly and helpful, bed comfy, drinks at the bar and porch excellent and had a great courtyard pool. My room had a great balcony overlooking the square. The only downside would be they probably could stand to re-grout or re-tile the shower floor - it was past its prime. But otherwise it was great and considered to be by all we spoke to "the best hotel in Granada".

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank SunSeekerMA
MICGranada, General Manager at Hotel Plaza Colon, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments! I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, even if it was a short one!

Your observation could not be more accurate; we had noted earlier this year that the balcony room bathroom floors needed re-tiling! So we proceeded to order an upgraded tile that was supposed to arrive on August, so we could replace the floors on September/October (our low season). Unfortunately for us, our provider delayed our order and we've been told we will be getting the new tile in the middle of high season, which means that we will be replacing it as soon as the rooms become available again!

As I am the one that handles the renovations and upgrades, I personally apologize for not having foreseen a possible delay with the new provider, but I've learned my lesson!!! Our future guests can rest assured that I will take care of the matter as soon as it is possible and will not be making the same mistake again.

Have a great Holiday Season!

Maria Isabel Canton

Reviewed December 6, 2013

The hotel is beautiful, convenient to local sights and activities. Rooms are quiet and comfortable. Breakfast was sumptuous, and although there is not an actual restaurant on the property, there is a pleasant coffee shop with light food not 15 m. from the reception desk. The staff was very friendly and did everything possible to make our stay perfect.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 6, 2013

this hotel is beautiful to the point where it almost doesnt fit in, in this city! the whole building from the bar and reception to the courtyard and pool, ending in the rooms is beautiful.when we got to the room it was huge... as was the bed (possibly the most comfy in central america). the tv and other facilities are great in the room making for a very comfortable stay.the room we were in was at the side, upstairs which was very quiet but sadly because it had no windows... this was a huge shame... the rooms at the front with balconies looked gorgeous, shame we didnt get one if these.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review! I am very glad that you enjoyed our facilities and service.

I am sorry to hear that the room assigned to you was not 100% to your liking. If you decide to come back to Granada in the future -we hope you choose us again :) -, let us know ahead of time so we can do our best to secure a balcony room for you. We only have 6 of these and they are the first ones to sell! (sometimes these 6 rooms are sold 6+ months in advance, it all depends on the season).

It is valid to mention that Hotel Plaza Colón was meticulously restored to preserve the original features of the building, which means that we have 'colonial windows' which differ from modern day windows in the fact that they are like little doors on a much bigger door. For insulation purposes, these windows have a fixed glass screen, so our guests can enjoy natural daylight with the comfort of an air conditioned room.

We always look for ways to maximize our guests' experience with us and we have found that knowing our guests' wishes/requests/expectations BEFORE they arrive does the trick! So do not be shy and let us know what you want at the time of reservation and we will do our very best to make it happen!!

Happy Holidays!!!

Maria Isabel Canton

Reviewed December 1, 2013

We stayed here again, loved it. Used the hotel to book car from Managua airport and trip to border as well-excellent service, on time and clean, reliable cars. We stayed in the balcony rooms and it is worth the coupla extra dollars to watch the square during the day, especially the morning set up. Service was flawless, we know Carlos by name now and he takes care of it all. Breakfast was excellent; rooms were clean and everything worked well. We can't find a reason to say anywhere else.

Room Tip: Book the balcony rooms, it is worth the coupla extra dollars for the view.....in a large party ask f...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family