“Best Hotel in Granada”

Hotel Plaza Colon
Ranked #2 of 45 Hotels in Granada
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 19, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Hotel Plaza Colon for our honeymoon in June, and we could not have been happier with our choice.

First, the location. You can't ask for a better location. Right on Plaza Colon, with some rooms overlooking the plaza and beautiful views of the Cathedral (despite some reviewers complaints, we never had any issues with noise from the plaza). Also, it is centrally located--just a short walk to the bars and restaurants on calzada, but far enough away for some peace and quiet.

Second, the quality of the rooms/hotel. The rooms were extremely large and very clean, with beautiful wood floors and doors. Great hot water, water pressure and air conditioning, luxuries in Nicaragua. Some of the rooms overlook the plaza, and others overlook the two central courtyards in the hotel, with one of the courtyards having a nice pool. Although they don't have a fitness center, they offer free passes to a small, local gym. And the breakfast was simply amazing. We traveled all over Nicaragua for our honeymoon (Corn Islands, Managua, Ometepe, Pacific Coast), and one of our favorite times was having a nice, relaxing breakfast at the hotel as we planned our day.

Finally, and I really can't say enough about this, but the service was simply outstanding--from the bellboy, to the reception, to the servers, to the concierge. They were all not only extremely helpful, but also friendly and went out of their way to help and always with a smile on their faces. They helped us with ALL our transportation over Nicaragua, including arranging for transportation from our hotel on the Pacific coast back to the airport. They helped with our tours/siteseeing around Granada and with arranging a hotel on Ometepe.

We would highly recommend Hotel Plaza Colon to any and all travelers, with a couple looking for a romantic getaway, a family, or a solo traveler. It will not disappoint!

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the plaza are easily the best and worth the few extra dollars.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rebmanjm
Write a ReviewReviews (1,057)

Reviewed November 18, 2013

I loved this hotel. The location couldn't have been better. I was able to walk almost everywhere. I had a rental car so a gated, secured parking lot was a must for me, and this hotel had it. The room was spotless, with a fridge and new flat-screen TV. The a/c pointed right at the bed, so I was in heaven. The breakfast was typical Nicaraguan fare - eggs, gallo pinto, queso frito. All delicious. I will definitely stay here again if I'm in Granada. Highly recommend!

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 17, 2013

It would be almost impossible to have a better hotel experience. My husband, daughter and I stayed here for one week, and were so sad to leave. It felt like home.The service was out of this world, and everyone was so friendly. Great pool, A/C, breakfast, perfect location on the parque Central, and by far, the best bartender in Granada. Our room was huge, beds so comfortable, excellent bathroom, and all so immaculate. Everyone at the front desk went out of their way to help in every way. For us, the best hotel in Granada by far. Thank you, Hotel Plaza Colon for everything!

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the pool (room 212) and was very quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for a wedding, we stayed for two nights, and the service was outstanding, very friendly, and extremely helpful. High quality food, rooms were very clean and nice, hot water and air conditioning were perfect, and you are located at the heart of the city with an amazing view to the main cathedral, you can just enjoy looking at the park. Totally recommended, i will definitely come back!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 6, 2013

I stayed 5 nights here. In every way, the hotel exceeded my expectations. My room was most comfortable: air-conditioned and a ceiling fan with a little patio with chairs in back. I slept very well. The breakfast was perfect (I love papaya and gallo pinto); there was a buffet and a made-to-order eggs option. The bar had a variety of mixed drinks, beers, and surprisingly good wines. There's a nice pool in the central atrium decorated with tropical plants. The BEST characteristic of the hotel is the service of the staff. Without fail, they were pleasant, friendly, and helpful. Stuffy, Parisian concierges could learn a few things from the PC's staff. In particular, Virginia, the concierge helped me with finding a tour to Mombacho and Masaya, a Spanish school, and restaurants. Her recommendations were spot on. The other great thing about PC is its location on the plaza across from the beautiful cathedral. It is the very center of this interesting and vibrant city-similar to Antigua, Guatemala but even more friendly and less touristed. An example of the service at Plaza Colon: I mentioned that the wi-fi wasn't working. That night, the management bought me 2 glasses of Palo Alto, a great Chilean sauvignon blanc. Overall, this is one of my favorite hotels ever.

Room Tip: I was concerned that the balcony rooms might be noisy since they overlook the plaza. The room I had...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 1, 2013

We loved this hotel - super beautiful and the best service. Great pool area and breakfast. The concierge helped us book anything we wanted to do and had great advice. Worth every penny and ideal location!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 30, 2013

From the moment we stepped out of the taxi we were treated with the highest level of service. What a gorgeous property in a perfect location right at parque central. We splurged on a balcony room to enjoy the sights and sounds below. We were delighted to find out the 2 drinks and breakfast were included in our stay. Everyone was so helpful and the room was HUGE! I would definately stay here again when I return to Granada!

Room Tip: get a balcony!!!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple