“I'm going back for sure!!!”
Review of Hotel Plaza Colon

Hotel Plaza Colon
Ranked #3 of 43 Hotels in Granada
GreenLeadersBronze level
“I'm going back for sure!!!”
Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

I took my family on a vacation to Nicaragua in july and Granada was on of the different cities that we visit, we decided to stay at Hotel Plaza Colon for it's convenient location right in the heart of the city and let me tell you what a great choice we made from the warming welcome we had to walking in to a clean smelling good looking rooms, morning breakfast are the best of any hotel we tried during our visit and enjoy some fresh afternoon air in the front porch while taking a view of the central park of Granada is just something you could only get there at its best.

Thank you to all the friendly staff from Mr.Gonzalez.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
  • Turkish first
Maryland
Reviewed August 25, 2013

My husband and I spent a night here and were so impressed by the staff, the rooms, and the location. The rooms were large and very clean and comfortable. We really enjoyed sitting out on the porch and taking in what was going on in the square in front of the hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ERB16
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We just returned from a stay at Hotel Plaza Colon and thought the place was beautiful and charming. The staff was wonderful and the breakfast buffet with made to order eggs (which runs from 7am-10am) was delicious. Victoria was terrific in arranging trips with a bilingual guide. For every tour & taxi she arranged the driver was there at least 10 minutes before the pick up time with an air conditioned car or van in excellent condition. This hotel is in a perfect location for walking around town.

Room Tip: My sons were in room 109 (first floor) adjacent to center courtyard & pool. They had a nice quie...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
London, West Virginia
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Normally I don't stay in a place this fancy, but it was well worth the price and a
very nice break in a great location. I was in room 106 in the back. Wonderful room with it own patio with pool in front. Great to be on the plaza and within walking distance of all attraction. If you have the money go for it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
Reviewed August 14, 2013

This hotel, and Granada itself were very pleasant surprises. This is a beautifully restored building and hotel, in a perfect location on the main square. It is not on the order of a 5 star Ritz Carlton, but its a very fine hotel, and I cannot imagine there is anything much nicer in Granada (Hotel Dario is the only thing I saw that seemed compatible in the same area). I would stay here again and highly recommend it. It is not expensive, and the breakfast buffet was extremely good (and changed each day). The hotel bar is quite nice too.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Austin, TX
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I've read many of the reviews here so I will not repeat everything. I love this little gem of a hotel. It is beautiful inside and out. However, it is the staff that I will remember the most about our two night stay. Their faces must get tired from smiling so much. Everyone was extremely helpful, especially when providing directions, advice, arranging transportation, and in my case helping me as I bled all over the front steps and through the lobby.

We were hanging by the pool late one morning and El Bar wouldn't open for another couple of hours. I walked down to the Super Mercado and bought six beers, stopped in the parque and got a hot dog. As I walked up the steps, one of my flip-flops got crossways. The plastic bag with beers hit first, then I fell on the broken glass. Before Carlos could help me up the blood started flowing. The embarrassment was worse than the cuts. They provided us with bandages and repeatedly offered to get me to a hospital or doctor. While I was in the shower cleaning my leg up, Carlos brought my wife the one surviving bottle and the intact hot dog. One of our friends still cracks up at the expression on my wifes face as she is wondering why he is giving her a hot dog and a beer.

The whole thing must have been extremely horrifying or hilarious to the staff because on the way out to dinner that night, the security guard, who had not been present, grabbed my arm and tried to walk me down the steps, although he couldn't keep a straight face.

A heartfelt thank you to EVERYONE associated with Hotel Plaza Colon. I will never forget you and hope to return someday.

Room Tip: We got one of the rooms overlooking the parque. Great place to people watch but if you have a soft s...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We loved this property and thought the balcony was beautiful over looking the park. It was noisy but we didn't care it's quiet after you shut the doors. Location was great. Lots of good shops and eateries close by. The boat tour of the lake was really nice and views to Volcano perfect.I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: If you are on a budget take the pool view rooms by the end of stay all we wanted was to hang out the...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family