“Recommended”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Boynton Beach, Florida
“Recommended”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Very nice hotel in front of the main plaza (beware of the smell of the horses that stand in front and early morning wake up by fire crackers supposedly thrown to celebrate saints). Staff was friendly but forgetful (they forgot to wake me up when I requested a wake up call and they didn't deliver a message our tour guide left for us). Breakfast was delicious with lots of choices. Room was big and clean and if you are visiting Granada, I recommend you stay here.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Maria_Isabel, General Manager at Hotel Plaza Colon, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
Dear Ana,

Thank you for your review! I am very sorry you did not receive the message your guide left and that Miurel forgot your wake up call; that should not have happened!

Your visit coincided with religious celebrations and post-elections celebrations; I understand how it might be a little too much for some visitors hearing firecrackers blowing up constantly, sometimes it is a bit much for some of us locals as well!

We greatly appreciate your feedback as it is one of the best ways to correct any mistakes and constantly improve the 'Hotel Plaza Colon experience'. I have proceeded to tweak our wake up call and messaging systems to prevent this from happening again.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you ever make plans to come back to Granada, I would love to have the opportunity to make it up to you!

Best wishes for the Holidays!!

Maria Isabel Canton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
  • Turkish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 25, 2012

This hotel is one of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed in and my husband and I have traveled quite a bit. The hotel is beautiful. The rooms are large and very clean. The balconies and the area surrounding the pool are picture perfect. On a hot day, there is a nice breeze around the pool area. You can sit on the front porch at night with a cocktail and enjoy the sights and sounds of Central Park.

Most importantly, the staff are tremendous. For example, I was in Granada for a family wedding. The day before the wedding, my camera's batteries died. When asked where I could purchase batteries, the staff gave me the batteries I needed for my camera because the batteries were difficult to purchase in Granada. In addition, Carlos was very helpful. He spent time talking to us and giving us information about Granada. Without a doubt I would return to this hotel. I strongly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
San Salvador, El Salvador
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Properly one of the best hotels in Granada. We stayed there for 3 days and everything was perfect during our stay there. The service and the staff are quite nice and serviceminded which isn`t normal in Central America. The rooms were quite big and with a/c. Everything worked perfect and we had a good night sleep. We all had a good breakfast in the morning. Only thing we missed was a good cop of coffee but the cafe in connection with the cafe was closed.

Alberta
Reviewed November 12, 2012

My husband and I arrived in the evening to this fabulous hotel! The staff are great and the welcome drink was enjoyed after a long day of travel. I definitely recommend reserving a room overlooking central park. The balcony and views are awesome. Always something to look at. The size of the room and comfort are incredible. Everything is clean. All of the staff from the front desk to the breakfast staff are top notch. The breakfast in the courtyard by the pool is very good and the staff very helpful in learning basic spanish words. The location is within walking distance from anything you need and we felt safe at all times. The Wifi works well as long as you are close to the pool and business center, not in the rooms but lots of area to access it. I definitely recommend this hotel to everyone staying in Granada.

Room Tip: Choose the rooms overlooking Central Park with the great balconies!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hatfield, UK
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Quite simply perfect. The rooms have been renovated to their colonial past to perfection. The service is near perfect and the breakfast was brilliant... A real taste of Nicaragua.
My wife and I have stayed in city hotels in so many parts of the world and this ranks as one of the best. Extremely clean and comfortable and a good shower.

Joplin, Missouri
Reviewed November 10, 2012

This was the last place we stayed on our trip to Nicaragua and it was perfect. We arrived early and were not able to check in yet. They kept our luggage for us while we checked out town and allowed us to use the pool. They also were able to organize all the tours that we wanted to take. It saved us the hassle of negotiating a price and we got a lot of great information and private tours.
The rooms were great. We really wanted one with a balcony, but they were all booked. Either way it was still very nice. The bed was king sized a very comfortable. The room had air conditioning and how water. Everything worked perfectly and the service was excellent.
This place is quite pricey compared to most other places we saw in Nicaragua, but totally worth it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My wife and another couple stayed here for two nights at the end of October and it was wonderful. We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite with a sitting room that had a porch overlooking the square. Everything about this hotel is top notch, the staff was wonderful and friendly. The common areas were immaculate and pool area was fantastic. Breakfast area around the pool was a plus and food was good. Don't think you can go wrong staying at this property. Just a heads up, if you like to sleep late you might want to book a room towards the back of the hotel. The locals start setting up in the square around 6:30 or 7:00 and it can be a little noisy.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends